Taxonomy
    Religion
    born again atheist?
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,010
    Given: 12,239

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver109 View Post
    Very interesting, would you say Slovenes are more Slavic looking than Hungarians?
    I remember Roy the Polish member said Slovenes look more familiar to him than Hungarians.
    According to vahaduo k13, Slovenes are genetically more Slavic than Hungarians.

In my experience Slovenes look "central euro with an eastern shift". Hungarians are more diverse I think, so it's hard to compare.

I also remember an American member here (don't remember his nickname) said when he travelled around Europe, he found Slovenes, Austrians and Czechs the most familiar phenotype wise out of all Europeans.

We have to keep in mind Slovenia is nowadays 20% Yugo immigrants and their descendants.

If I remember correctly, Immanenz the Austrian said that Slovenes look less off in Austria than Hungarians (maybe I'm misremembering this last one, idk)

Last Online
    Today @ 03:23 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Zoomer
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,282
    Given: 9,865

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Marsa View Post
    Where have you been in Slavonia? I'm asking because that's my region, and the difference between Croats and local Hungarians from Slavonia/Baranya is actually quite visible. Not in pigmentation so much (Croats are darker), but in facial features.

Maybe SW Hungary as the region has somewhat higher percentages of Balkan types present among Slavonian Croats compared to our local Hungarians?

Hungarians from Osijek area are predominantly Nordid/Transdanubian/Alpine in appearance, and also what has always been interesting to me is their tendency for red hair.
    I traveled through Slavonia when we went to Dalmatia. I didnt noticed much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiel View Post
    So whats the difference between Hungarians in Budapest and in SW Hungary? I am from SW Hungary but Ive been living in Budapest for 5 years by now. The only real difference I saw was that people who are really "natives" of Budapest (not some second/third generation immigrants) usually have a ashkenazi roots. Apart from these people the population of Budapest is just a mix from all regions of Hungary.
    The "natives" of Budapest are rather germans, Budapest was german majority city before the second half of 19 century.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Undecided
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Ancestry
    German+Hungarian
    Country
    Hungary
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    U5a1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,046
    Given: 990

1 Not allowed!

Yea well the population of Budapest was about 180K in 1850. Now it is ~2 Million. People moved and move to Budapest from all over the country. If I posted pictures of 10 guys who I used to go to uni with and 5 of them were from Budapest and 5 of them were from SW Hungary could you or anyone else decide whos from here or from SW Hungary? I doubt that.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 02:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,435
    Given: 5,750

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    I remember Roy the Polish member said Slovenes look more familiar to him than Hungarians.

In my experience Slovenes look "central euro with an eastern shift". Hungarians are more diverse I think, so it's hard to compare.

I also remember an American member here (don't remember his nickname) said when he travelled around Europe, he found Slovenes, Austrians and Czechs the most familiar phenotype wise out of all Europeans.

We have to keep in mind Slovenia is nowadays 20% Yugo immigrants and their descendants.

If I remember correctly, Immanenz the Austrian said that Slovenes look less off in Austria than Hungarians (maybe I'm misremembering this last one, idk)
    I did a thread on some Slovenians a few months ago, i remember while looking at pictures online just how many had quite a Slavic look about them, i suppose the isolation of the country and forested nature has preserved phenotypes.

Last Online
    04-24-2024 @ 10:30 PM
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    Region
    Zagreb
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 301
    Given: 219

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Marsa View Post
    Where have you been in Slavonia? I'm asking because that's my region, and the difference between Croats and local Hungarians from Slavonia/Baranya is actually quite visible. Not in pigmentation so much (Croats are darker), but in facial features.

Maybe SW Hungary as the region has somewhat higher percentages of Balkan types present among Slavonian Croats compared to our local Hungarians?

Hungarians from Osijek area are predominantly Nordid/Transdanubian/Alpine in appearance, and also what has always been interesting to me is their tendency for red hair.
    There are less than 1000 Hungarians in Osijek. How many of them do you know? Too small sample in any case.

I was in Slavonia and Hungary and I didn't notice the difference.

Last Online
    04-24-2024 @ 10:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polish and distant Ashkenazi Jewish.
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Shqiptar in disguise
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1 Hyperborean
    Taxonomy
    Moderately not ugly something
    Politics
    Social Liberalism - apparently.
    Hero
    Goofy
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,604
    Given: 48,334

3 Not allowed!

Yes, Slovenes are more homogeneous which factors into that. There's quite a lot of ethnic Hungarian people that give me mild ... Iranic vibe, as well Italian/Italic (?) kind of ones. Whereas the % of people from both ethnic groups that look clearly foreign is similar, I'd say that Slovenes more often than Hungarians look like typical Poles to me. The "core" is more similar.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

1 Not allowed!

Yes. I was thinking some of these eastern European/Ukrainian looking Neo-Danubians could be Bosniaks/Bosnian mixed people.

From my experience, Bosniaks from certain regions in Bosnia are most Slavic looking south Slavs, and genetically they are most Slavic too.

Last Online
    Today @ 03:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    Andean highlander
    Country
    Bolivia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,331
    Given: 2,699

3 Not allowed!

Predominantly Nordic individuals are far more common in southern Germany than is commonly believed.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Coimbra, born and raised (old man from Santo Tirso)
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Hero
    Eru Ilúvatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,515
    Given: 4,455

5 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Voskos View Post
    I noticed Spanish people look more like Southern Germans than like Greeks.
    “Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects with everything else.”
    -Leonardo da Vinci
    Quote Originally Posted by barnumandbailey View Post
    Women have hair so that you can grab them while you’re pounding from behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by michal3141 View Post
    Don't worry Roy. We're talking about some profound unsolved problem in science of computing (computer science).
    Quote Originally Posted by solarisregvm View Post
    You sound like an authority of people who know naked portuguese people ......
    Classify Hurtuv and Family 2022
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...nd-Family-2022

ⰍⰁⰑⰃⰀⰜⰇⰁ Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 665
    Given: 299

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cristiano viejo View Post
    I noticed this too, but not only about Wallachia but Transilvania too. And not only regarding Northern Spaniards.
    Being myself from Central Spain I did not notice Romanians were lighter than Central Spaniards. Romanians are as swarthy as us
    I haven't been in central Spain yet, but it's possible. I wouldn't be suprised

Quote Originally Posted by Wizz View Post
    Interesting, what regions did you visit specifically for each country ?

Average human height by country

Some of these are old studies and varies by age and not sure if it has changed since then. I already knew Dutch were tall.
    Yes, that's exactly the problem with such a studies. They are often selfreported and outdated. Things can change from one generation to another quite fast.
    Regarding the hight of Dinaric Alps vs. Netherlands, I would say that men are about the same, it's difficult to say who is taller; but Dutch females are notably taller, especially in the northern part of the country.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information