Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At what amount would admixture be visible?

Last Online
    07-18-2022 @ 05:17 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    British
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, Welsh, French-Canadian, Romani, Maltese
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    City of London
    Y-DNA
    Probably a Celtic variety, possibly Germanic
    mtDNA
    Almost certainly Celtic
    Taxonomy
    Pseudoscience
    Politics
    They're all bullshitters
    Hero
    Heroes are the worst villains of all
    Religion
    Irreligious
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

As others have pointed out, it depends on how dominant or recessive the admixture is, and how distant the two populations are from each other. Sub-Saharan admixture in a European is likely to be visible from a higher single digit percentage, and vice versa, while full 50% central or northern French admixture in a Brit may not even be noticeable, as the two populations are very similar to each other, share a fairly recent common ancestor (Bell Beaker) and have been mixing for two millennia anyway.

I don't think 2% admixture is likely to be visible even in extremely distant populations. Different groups of humans are not very genetically distant to each other, even on the 'racial' level, due to our lack of long-term geographical borders meaning we frequently mix with each other throughout history. Chimpanzees, with a population of ~150,000 worldwide, are more genetically diverse than humans with our near 8 billion individuals. Our ability to build boats to cross rivers, thick coats to cross mountain ranges, and cars to make travelling extremely fast makes these geographical boundaries not really work as they do for other species. There is probably no type of admixture that would be immediately or at all visible at 2%.

Quote Originally Posted by RareNightmare View Post
    Porutgese people are europeans and it is 1/50th. Also, if you took a full Portuguese person and a full british person stripped them down and asked a random non anthrotard person to guess their country of origin/ethnicity and if they were the same, they probably couldn't discern the two especially if you grabbed someone who was as much as a quarter Portuguese and then someone who was a full blooded brit. Call me retarded, but I wasn't able to tell that even Tom Hanks was half portuguese. Attachment 114236
    I don't think you're retarded for not picking it up; I didn't even know he was half Portuguese until I saw this post. With a beard he looks mega Iberian, without he's just undiscernible European, which is fairly accurate given his ancestry.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,977
    Given: 6,600

0 Not allowed!

It would be discernable to the trained anthrotard. If you didn't have curly hair or brown eyes you would at least smell of Nando's.
    Spoiler!

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,690
    Given: 23,946

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptillionaire View Post
    I didn't even know he was half Portuguese until I saw this post. With a beard he looks mega Iberian, without he's just undiscernible European, which is fairly accurate given his ancestry.
    Looking mega Iberian is just indisputably European.

Lurking in the shadows
    Last Online
    04-03-2024 @ 11:39 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    hyperborean
    Ethnicity
    Unsure possibly Caucasian
    Ancestry
    Europe, America, Africa
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-Y3141
    Taxonomy
    agarthid
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptillionaire View Post
    As others have pointed out, it depends on how dominant or recessive the admixture is, and how distant the two populations are from each other. Sub-Saharan admixture in a European is likely to be visible from a higher single digit percentage, and vice versa, while full 50% central or northern French admixture in a Brit may not even be noticeable, as the two populations are very similar to each other, share a fairly recent common ancestor (Bell Beaker) and have been mixing for two millennia anyway.

I don't think 2% admixture is likely to be visible even in extremely distant populations. Different groups of humans are not very genetically distant to each other, even on the 'racial' level, due to our lack of long-term geographical borders meaning we frequently mix with each other throughout history. Chimpanzees, with a population of ~150,000 worldwide, are more genetically diverse than humans with our near 8 billion individuals. Our ability to build boats to cross rivers, thick coats to cross mountain ranges, and cars to make travelling extremely fast makes these geographical boundaries not really work as they do for other species. There is probably no type of admixture that would be immediately or at all visible at 2%.

I don't think you're retarded for not picking it up; I didn't even know he was half Portuguese until I saw this post. With a beard he looks mega Iberian, without he's just undiscernible European, which is fairly accurate given his ancestry.
    Portuguese are somewhat germanic but anyhow, I have double digits in non eurpopean admixture and you can't even discern me from the average white person. I mean I'm imagining that OP doesn't really look very portuguese unless they're looking very hard for portuguse features.

Last Online
    04-16-2024 @ 02:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Ancestry
    Polish, Belarusian, Balkan, German, Jewish, Czech and Tatar
    Country
    Poland
    Region
    Greater Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1a-M512 (Central European)
    mtDNA
    U5a2c (North European)
    Taxonomy
    West Baltid + N. Pontid (+ various influences)
    Hero
    Your mum
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Relationship Status
    Private
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 240

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Somehow though we've seen Hungarians and Romanians with 1-3% of Asian DNA which imho shows up subtly in them phenotypically. And don't forget a Mongolian spot on newborns that show up even on those with a very minimal Asian input in their DNA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_spot
    I'm around 3-5% Central-East Asian (Tatar ancestry) and you can't tell, but you can with my father and great grandmother (it's like it skips a generation).

Slavic (AD 540–1270) 64.0%
    Baltic (AD 260–540) 21.2%
    Germanic (AD 100–630) 7.6%
    European Jew (AD 1160–1400) 6.0%
    Sinitic (1230 BC–AD 1670) 1.2%
    Fit: 2.626

Lurking in the shadows
    Last Online
    04-03-2024 @ 11:39 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    hyperborean
    Ethnicity
    Unsure possibly Caucasian
    Ancestry
    Europe, America, Africa
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-Y3141
    Taxonomy
    agarthid
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Polak View Post
    I'm around 3-5% Central-East Asian (Tatar ancestry) and you can't tell, but you can with my father and great grandmother (it's like it skips a generation).
    Lmao the trace elements

Last Online
    11-12-2023 @ 09:30 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    Ancestry:EnglandNWEuro 40, Scotland20,Sweden and Denmark13, Wales5,Germanic8,Ireland7,Norway
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 13

0 Not allowed!

Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 18.25.24.png Why do people generally try to make Italians look darker than they are? I looked at an Italian news channel on Youtube and they don't look that darker than lots of the Brits interviewed on the BBC.

Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 05:08 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    Southwest German, Northeast German, English, French-Canadian, Swedish
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York
    Y-DNA
    R-YP1337
    mtDNA
    H5a1
    Taxonomy
    North Atlantid
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

It honestly depends. I have seen quadroons that look like really ugly white people, but I have also seen quadroons that look clearly like lightskin Africans. I also agree with Leto insofar as that I doubt Portuguese would have much phenotypic impact unless present in large proportions.

Last Online
    11-15-2022 @ 02:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Country
    American-Samoa
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 7

0 Not allowed!

This ex-couple had twins and then sextuplets (six babies born at once), they all look very, very Asian, even though they're only one quarter Korean. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they all were born premature and with the help of fertility treatment?
    on October 8, 2000, she gave birth to twin girls, Cara Nicole and Madelyn "Mady" Kate, who were premature at 35 weeks gestation.[7] Gosselin became pregnant through fertility treatment because polycystic ovary syndrome left her unable to conceive otherwise. After further treatments, Gosselin became pregnant again and, on May 10, 2004, in Hershey, Pennsylvania, at the Penn State Hershey Medical Center, she gave birth to sextuplets: sons Aaden Jonathan; Collin Thomas; and Joel Kevin; and daughters Alexis Faith, Hannah Joy, and Leah Hope. She gave birth at just shy of 30 weeks gestation. The sextuplets were born 10 weeks premature, which is common in the multiple births resulting from fertility treatments.[citation needed] The early birth required the six infants to be placed on ventilators.[6]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Gosselin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information