3:28
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,920
    Given: 1,564

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by catgeorge View Post
    Tell them otherwise and they will roast you on a spit.

I talk to them and ask them about their Bulgarian speech while I'm on my ethnographic road trips, they laugh uncomfortably, mumble something about it being their 'native tongue' and change the subject.

No spits roasted.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Southern Greek
    Ancestry
    Southern Greece
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Modern human with neanderthal admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,886
    Given: 26,288

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by eupator View Post
    I talk to them and ask them about their Bulgarian speech while I'm on my ethnographic road trips, they laugh uncomfortably, mumble something about it being their 'native tongue' and change the subject.

No spits roasted.
    I served with one when I was a conscript. Half of his family were Skopjans, other half Greeks. Never did he claim to me he wasn't Greek, he just kept saying the Bulgarian komitatzis messed up the place. I also met Russo-Greeks, Vlachs, Romani, Arvanites from Peloponnisos, Korce Vlachs , Gagauz identifying as Greeks, recent Albanian immigrants, North Epirots, mixed Albanian-North Epirots, Pomaks etc etc.

The only ones that were not very convincing as Greek were the Pomaks.

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Voskos View Post
    I served with one when I was a conscript. Half of his family were Skopjans, other half Greeks. Never did he claim to me he wasn't Greek, he just kept saying the Bulgarian komitatzis messed up the place. I also met Russo-Greeks, Vlachs, Romani, Arvanites from Peloponnisos, Korce Vlachs , Gagauz identifying as Greeks, recent Albanian immigrants, North Epirots, mixed Albanian-North Epirots, Pomaks etc etc.

The only ones that were not very convincing as Greek were the Pomaks.

They are usually closed and reserved to those they consider as outsiders to their ilk. It's hard to get them talking but I have my connections. I am not talking about the younger generations who mingled and can't even speak the entopika but about the more traditionalists like those in the videos, in Kastoria and Florina, etc. The user Renekton knows to whom I am referring.

I suggest you read Karakasidou's Fields of Wheat, Hills of Blood: Passages to Nationhood in Greek Macedonia, for more on their ethnography, it really is a masterpiece of our times.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Southern Greek
    Ancestry
    Southern Greece
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Modern human with neanderthal admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,886
    Given: 26,288

0 Not allowed!

Ok let me put this another way. I've seen in person an old Thracian from Adrianoupoli claim they're Turkish-speaking Rums that got linguistically (re)hellenized after the population exchange. They were also quite bitter about the whole issue of the Greek-Turkish conflict. To you are those Greeks or Turks?

We're probably talking about two different things here, or three different things: you're talking about the ethnic identity/ national consciousness of the slavophone villages, Feiichy is talking about genetic ancestry and I'm talking about history and the politics of the region. To me personally genetics isn't a factor to be taken into account, especially when talking about neighbouring populations. You might have a point concerning the consciousness of some of these people but the reality doesn't change. The place was Byzantine and only became slavic after the slavic migrations.

And the slavicization of the Balkans is ongoing (supported by external factors as well), often with the help of so called "academics" and their politically correct narratives.

Let me give another example.
    At some point there must've been parts of Crete that were fully Turkish , if the borders between countries had to follow self-identification of whatever settler shows up, then Greece has no future.

With such a mentality Greeks are gonna be as rare as Indians in the US.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Voskos View Post
    snip

I think you misunderstand me.

I also don't believe in genetic barriers that have strict cut-offs, regardless of some of my posts where I counter-used such arguments in order to show the local Greek anthrotards how ridiculous their narrative of a supposed racial-purity really is.

However, you can easily draw lines around ethnographic continuums even inside former imperial spaces, based on language, music, cultural practices and notions of self-determination.

The people in those videos have very visible differences to the rest of the Greek ethnographic continuum, that spans from Crete all the way to the northern borders of the country (mostly due to settled Anatolian Greeks in the latter); they don't use the same musical instruments, their music follows different tempos and variations, same with their dances, and obviously we have the issue of their language that they hold so dear that they managed to salvage through the onslaught of Metaxian canonization. They are closer to Bulgarians rather than to Cretans in every metric possible, and it's through their own choice entirely. Pontics, on the other hand, have much more strikingly closer similarities to Cretans in their ethnography, see where I am going with this?

Furthermore, historically, Thrace was always a much more solid Greek (or Byzantine Greek if you like) bastion compared to Macedonia (with the exception of the city of Thessaloniki), so I don't think your example is very apt. Every time the Byzantines reconquered Macedonia from the Bulgarians, they resettled Anatolians there in order to solidify the Byzantine hold. The same Anatolians that, even today, the resident Greek anthrotards consider as foreign presence in their 'native space', calling them Armenians or w/e, like this is supposed to be a curse word or something, not taking into account the simple historical truth that has Armenians contributing with settlers, soldiers, and even emperors and generals (a list that includes both Basil II and Nikephoros Phokas) during Byzantium's most glorious periods. So taking this line of argument to its logical extreme, if Greek speakers (from Anatolia) are considered foreigners and the Bulgarian speaking entopioi are considered as the natives, then who is really the one giving Macedonia away? Certainly not me, that's for sure.

That's all, and since you mention it, I do consider Turks (not all, but some of them) as the closest ethnographic and cultural relative to modern Greece.

Bloodline of 5/42 Evzone Regiment
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Byzantine Rumelia
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Politics
    Christian Theocratic
    Hero
    Christian Emperors
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,925
    Given: 4,821

0 Not allowed!

No spits roasted.
    The Sarakatsani from Bulgaria have suffered Slavisation for over 100 years they will never yield. As for my family don't know one word of Bulgarian nor Turkish nor Albanian. Does this make you feel better?
    “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Eph. 6:12

Definition of untrustworthy and loose character are those that don't believe in God.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

The Sarakatsani from Bulgaria have suffered Slavisation for over 100 years they will never yield. As for my family don't know one word of Bulgarian nor Turkish nor Albanian. Does this make you feel better?

Dude, no one mentioned the Karakachans in the context of Macedonia, you can calm down now.

Your people barely measured 80K or so in your heydays, you are hardly relevant in this discourse.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    SW European
    Ethnicity
    Indigenous
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    H1
    Hero
    Sinuhé
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,622
    Given: 21,626

0 Not allowed!

I also see them very similar to the Spanish.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-28-2024 @ 06:23 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Macedonian
    Ethnicity
    Pelasgian-Macedonian
    Country
    Macedonia
    Region
    Abruzzo
    Y-DNA
    Bessi tribe
    Hero
    Spartacus / Achilles / Jane Sandanski
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,822
    Given: 1,097

0 Not allowed!

No such thing - they are just Greek and identify as such. Tell them otherwise and they will roast you on a spit.
    Yeah sure they speak "Greek" because they must to, but they identify themself like slavophone Macedonians , I guess greeks are singing and dancing Makedonsko Devojce ? Raspukala Sar Planian , Zemjo Makedonska , Ubava Kalina od Pirin Planinaa or Velat ne Nema and many other Macedonian songs on the following videos ? They have Macedonian gathering once or twice in a year ,

Cheers!

Bloodline of 5/42 Evzone Regiment
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Byzantine Rumelia
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Politics
    Christian Theocratic
    Hero
    Christian Emperors
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,925
    Given: 4,821

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
    Yeah sure they speak "Greek" because they must to, but they identify themself like slavophone Macedonians , I guess greeks are singing and dancing Makedonsko Devojce ? Raspukala Sar Planian , Zemjo Makedonska , Ubava Kalina od Pirin Planinaa or Velat ne Nema and many other Macedonian songs on the following videos ? They have Macedonian gathering once or twice in a year ,

Cheers!
    They have nothing to do with you - they dont have Avar - Cuman - Chink features you people have
    “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Eph. 6:12

Definition of untrustworthy and loose character are those that don't believe in God.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information