papuan
    Country
    Fiji
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 322

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chron View Post
    Has an Arabic-sounding base, but I can hear what reminds me of Indian and Turkic influence
    Another one with the arabic, but indian influence doesnt Sound suprising. Its more the turkis one, thats new to me.
    Just for the fun of it, if you dont mind and Can answer this question, could you treat arabic, turkic and indic as components, and make estimate what pashto is made of each by percentage according to your ears? Like example 70% arabic, 20% indic and rest is turkic? You g’et me, right?

Last Online
    01-22-2023 @ 10:21 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-Iranian
    Ethnicity
    Kurd
    Ancestry
    74.31% W. Eurasian + 11.42% E. Eurasian + 5.42% S. Eurasian + 8.85% Basal Eurasian/African
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Kurdistan
    Y-DNA
    Q-M25
    mtDNA
    W4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,249
    Given: 524

1 Not allowed!

Getting responses such as Arabic or Turkish should tell you that people here aren’t familiar with pashto. You should ask Pashtuns that question and the ones familiar with Iranic languages will tell you Kurdish (Sorani Kurdish sounds a bit closer than Badini Kurdish) from the Iranic languages

Here’s a Sorani kurdish drama. Take a listen

Reason Kurdish sounds closest to Pashto is both kurds and pashtuns have alot of Parthian/Scythian ancestry

www.Eurasiandna.com

Different Kurdish languages are very different from each other. If you want to know about differences

Muzh ba staso la tyaro tsakha ra wubaasu

[IMG][/IMG]

Banned
    Last Online
    12-07-2022 @ 02:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    papuan
    Country
    Fiji
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoro View Post
    Getting responses such as Arabic or Turkish should tell you that people here aren’t familiar with pashto. You should ask Pashtuns that question and the ones familiar with Iranic languages will tell you Kurdish (Sorani Kurdish sounds a bit closer than Badini Kurdish) from the Iranic languages

Here’s a Sorani kurdish drama. Take a listen

Reason Kurdish sounds closest to Pashto is both kurds and pashtuns have alot of Parthian/Scythian ancestry

www.Eurasiandna.com

Different Kurdish languages are very different from each other. If you want to know about differences

I know, its just interesting to hear answers from people on pashto.

I agree with the afghan guys, pashto and sorani kurdish sound more like each other, compared to any other languages. Difference is that pashto has lots of r-sounds, so it sounds signficantly indic to some degree. I shown wanetsi dialect to several people, and they all said it either sounds like an indo-aryan language, to indo-aryan mixed with russian or semetic(asked kurds too).
    I guess other pashto dialects has more persian compared to wanetsi pashto?

And yes, kurdish dialects sounds different to each other. I barely felt any similiarity with kurmanji kurdish(though some kurds odd enough thinks that pashto sounds like kurmanji dialect somewhat) unlike sorani. But sorani lacks so much r-sounds, the kind of retroflexes pashto has

Not gonna ask pashtuns though, they can be biased

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-Iranian
    Ethnicity
    Kurd
    Ancestry
    74.31% W. Eurasian + 11.42% E. Eurasian + 5.42% S. Eurasian + 8.85% Basal Eurasian/African
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Kurdistan
    Y-DNA
    Q-M25
    mtDNA
    W4
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Melonman View Post
    I know, its just interesting to hear answers from people on pashto.

I agree with the afghan guys, pashto and sorani kurdish sound more like each other, compared to any other languages. Difference is that pashto has lots of r-sounds, so it sounds signficantly indic to some degree. I shown wanetsi dialect to several people, and they all said it either sounds like an indo-aryan language, to indo-aryan mixed with russian or semetic(asked kurds too).
    I guess other pashto dialects has more persian compared to wanetsi pashto?

And yes, kurdish dialects sounds different to each other. I barely felt any similiarity with kurmanji kurdish(though some kurds odd enough thinks that pashto sounds like kurmanji dialect somewhat) unlike sorani. But sorani lacks so much r-sounds, the kind of retroflexes pashto has

Not gonna ask pashtuns though, they can be biased
    Yes the retroflex is missing in kurdish. It gets stronger as you go to eastern pashto than southern which tells me maybe they picked it up from Indic languages unless it’s an ancient thing

That’s odd Why would pashtuns be biased against middle eastern languages?

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    papuan
    Country
    Fiji
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Yes the retroflex is missing in kurdish. It gets stronger as you go to eastern pashto than southern which tells me maybe they picked it up from Indic languages unless it’s an ancient thing

That’s odd Why would pashtuns be biased against middle eastern languages?
    wanetsi is in balochistan, and doubt its from indic languages. Must be an ancient thing, and south dialects are heavily persian influenced. Some iranians even felt similiarity to sha dialect, and thought it sounded similiar to southeast persian dialect.

Us pashtuns dont like to admit that our language sounds significantly indic, although it does(due to its retroflexes, unlike ironically indo-aryan languages such as kalashi and koshuri kashmiri), so they would rather claim pashto has similiarities with kurdish, but not indic languages

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-Iranian
    Ethnicity
    Kurd
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Kurdistan
    Y-DNA
    Q-M25
    mtDNA
    W4
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Melonman View Post
    wanetsi is in balochistan, and doubt its from indic languages. Must be an ancient thing, and south dialects are heavily persian influenced. Some iranians even felt similiarity to sha dialect, and thought it sounded similiar to southeast persian dialect.

Us pashtuns dont like to admit that our language sounds significantly indic, although it does(due to its retroflexes, unlike ironically indo-aryan languages such as kalashi and koshuri kashmiri), so they would rather claim pashto has similiarities with kurdish, but not indic languages
    Urdu and Punjabi do share words with pashto that they don’t share with kurdish or farsi but it maybe loan words because of distance. On the other hand urdu shares stuff with farsi or kurdish that it doesn’t share with pashto. But the retroflex is punjabi,urdu pashto thing

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    papuan
    Country
    Fiji
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Urdu and Punjabi do share words with pashto that they don’t share with kurdish or farsi but it maybe loan words because of distance. On the other hand urdu shares stuff with farsi or kurdish that it doesn’t share with pashto. But the retroflex is punjabi,urdu pashto thing
    shared words would just be persian, or pashtu influence on urdu(unless its a dialect from khyber, then its opposite)

Either way, the r-retroflexes makes pashto sound very different to kurdish, and more like urdu and punjabi, at least wanetsi dialect(sha dialect has more a persian influence, so might not come off as indic shifted as more isolated dialect, wanetsi)

Last Online
    02-28-2024 @ 02:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Eastern Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Ancestry
    Vlacho-Cuman
    Country
    Romania
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-S17250)
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,320
    Given: 7,523

2 Not allowed!

It sounds like Indian spoken with a Slavic accent.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    papuan
    Country
    Fiji
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Seya View Post
    It sounds like Indian spoken with a Slavic accent.
    thanks for input

Banned
    Last Online
    02-22-2023 @ 02:17 PM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 113

0 Not allowed!