E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,901
    Given: 18,310

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    You are too much into false anthropology. The thing is ALL Irish have the same ancestry which is why they cluster together. Families can have people with different colouring and remember it is just different colouring. Feature wise there is not much difference. A dark haired and brown eyed mother can have a blond haired blue eyed child. This sort of differences in colouring is in all populations and we know that in the Bronze Age they already had the majority blue eyes and the Rathlins were light brown haired. People would have been varied even in the Bronze Age.

This is Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh who is also from Donegal.

These people are all from Donegal.
    Donegal tweed is the best. Everyone should have a Donegal jacket and Hanna flat cap. Donegal tweed > Harris tweed

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,563
    Given: 29,007

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    Donegal tweed is the best. Everyone should have a Donegal jacket and Hanna flat cap. Donegal tweed > Harris tweed
    It is indeed. Absolutely top quality. It is expensive but well worth it because it lasts and doesn't go out of fashion.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

It is indeed. Absolutely top quality. It is expensive but well worth it because it lasts and doesn't go out of fashion.

The Irish wool products are top notch from the Mucros weavers in Killarney all the way up to Donegal. I just wish I lived in a colder climate .

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    The Irish wool products are top notch from the Mucros weavers in Killarney all the way up to Donegal. I just wish I lived in a colder climate .
    My father used to wear the tweed hat and suits. They are very well made and keep you really warm. You wouldn't get much use of them here either.

One of Ireland's first courtiers was Irene Gilbert from Tipperary. She worked with silk, tweed, linen and Carrickmacross lace and it was top quality stuff that people used to travel to Ireland to buy.

Irish fashion designers used Irish materials and brought recognition of Irish tweed to an international audience.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

My father used to wear the tweed hat and suits. They are very well made and keep you really warm. You wouldn't get much use of them here either.

One of Ireland's first courtiers was Irene Gilbert from Tipperary. She worked with silk, tweed, linen and Carrickmacross lace and it was top quality stuff that people used to travel to Ireland to buy.

Irish fashion designers used Irish materials and brought recognition of Irish tweed to an international audience.
    Your father knows best for good style because wool is the most tasteful material. Wool is more breathable than some might think, especially the hats.
    Last edited by Daco Celtic; 08-06-2022 at 07:12 AM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

I think people have to know a bit about genetics to understand populations.

This is a diagram of all clusters for Britain and Ireland.

It shows Wales at one end in green and the yellow is Irish regions but the furthest is Donegal 1 and Donegal 2. The red is the main English cluster then there are the border counties, Scotland and then Ireland. The ones veering off are the Western Isles populations i.e. Orkney and Shetland which are the most distinctive due to drift and Norwegian admixture.

Notice there is no "Celtic" cluster with the Celts being on opposite ends of this cluster. Notice that the population closest to the Irish are the Scots. This has been in every genetic study and not surprising as they are Gaels.

This image shows where the clusters are from.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

This is some interesting stuff and getting a bit OT from the thread but quite fascinating. This is also based on modern day populations and to be accurate you would need ancient genomes but still it does give a bit of understanding of the ancestry of the Isles. The main components are a French-like (this is from NW France and is mainly Brittany) highest in the more "Celtic" areas, there is then a Danish/German component (mainly from NW Germany) highest in the English and a Norwegian component (majority from North and Northwest Norway) which is highest in the Orkneys and Shetlands.

Three main areas of ancestry.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sbrinkaa View Post
    Wait... so you're telling me that the Welsh are not Mediterranean and they don't plot next to Iberians? I'd rather believe the observations and a racial map made a century ago by a reputed anthropologist.
    Damn genetics, who the f*ck invented them?
    The closest population to the Welsh is the English. The only thing that might surprise people is that there is no Celtic cluster even within the Isles populations.

This is another one showing Britain and Ireland.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

It's rather Insular Celtic migration into North-Western France but I understand why it shows that if they try to model the people of the British Isles with modern populations. The Celtic hotspot is located within the Isles.
    It's a little bit of a fault to model with modern-day populations. The Bretons are just the closest French population to the Irish and British. I don't believe it is specifically Celtic and yes there was Isles input into Brittany also. From genetics we know that populations like the Irish retain a lot of genetics from the Bronze Age input i.e. Bell Beakers and populations like the Bretons have the highest Steppe component over other French so with admixture using modern populations not surprised Brittany would show up strongly.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

If every single km2 of Europe was analyzed there would be no clusters either but a continuum. After all, Celtic, Germanic, Slavic, etc. are all different Indo-European tribes with very similar proportions of the same ancient populations.
    If you have a Europe wide cluster yes there are some populations that show up more isolated and don't have a continuous cluster. I haven't seen many Europe-wide plots lately. There was genetic barriers with mountain ranges so places like Spain and Italy were a bit more separated from other European populations in the past. The sea was not as great a barrier. Also places like Finland despite being neighbours with Sweden is quite unique and distinctive genetically.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information