Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,318
    Given: 9,884

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hektor12 View Post
    To be honest the representation of Saruman's army is not relly correct in the LOTR movies. A very large part of his army was human from Dunland.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    German/Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2122
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,702
    Given: 8,964

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    The reason why did Tolkien create the LOTR is he wanted an own anglo-saxon mythology, this world is basically a human prehistory in anglo-saxon mythology form:

This is quite a contreversial discussed topic among scholars writing about Tolkien. The concencus is that Tolkien moved away from this early goal while writing and becoming older. Good example would be the typical "british" Hobbits, who are like an anti-thesis to the Anglo-Saxons.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:01 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Zoomer
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyp View Post
    This is quite a contreversial discussed topic among scholars writing about Tolkien. The concencus is that Tolkien moved away from this early goal while writing and becoming older. Good example would be the typical "british" Hobbits, who are like an anti-thesis to the Anglo-Saxons.
    My personal opinion is i dont see this changing, and the Shire, hobbits represented the rural England. There's absolutely no question about it.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    German/Azeri
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2122
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,702
    Given: 8,964

0 Not allowed!

My personal opinion is i dont see this changing, and the Shire, hobbits represented the rural England. There's absolutely no question about it.
    But the quote that gets taken from Tolkien where he talks about it starting as a mythology for England, he talks about it in a jokingly manner. You do realize that?.

Here are the quotes:

Do not laugh! But once upon a time (my crest has long since fallen) I had a mind to make a body of more or less connected legend, ranging from the large and cosmogonic, to the level of romantic fairy-story-the larger founded on the lesser in contact with the earth, the lesser drawing splendour from the vast backcloths – which I could dedicate simply to: to England; to my country. It should possess the tone and quality that I desired, somewhat cool and clear, be redolent of our 'air' (the clime and soil of the North West, meaning Britain and the hither parts of Europe: not Italy or the Aegean, still less the East), and, while possessing (if I could achieve it) the fair elusive beauty that some call Celtic (though it is rarely found in genuine ancient Celtic things), it should be 'high', purged of the gross, and fit for the more adult mind of a land long now steeped in poetry. I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama. Absurd..
    Doesn't sound to me that this was his main goal at all tbh.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Zoomer
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyp View Post
    But the quote that gets taken from Tolkien where he talks about it starting as a mythology for England, he talks about it in a jokingly manner. You do realize that?.

Here are the quotes:

Doesn't sound to me that this was his main goal at all tbh.
    We dont agree here. But the realm of Middle Earth is so big that its not just about England for sure, but Tolkien described others too.

Last Online
    04-29-2023 @ 12:17 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Euro-American
    Ethnicity
    Slavic-Mutt
    Ancestry
    Russia, Romania, Croatia, Greece, Bohemia, Luxembourg
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Gracile Noric + light Pontid
    Politics
    Anti-Leftist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 400

0 Not allowed!

I have no idea how did you get these infos. Galadriel is not lesbian, but heterosexual for sure, some scene with Halbrand also proves it. Sometimes the dialogues between them reminds me a little mild flirtation. I dont know why is she "man hater".

Elrond seems more masculine compared to Lort movies, just check this Moria scene:

In the Lotr movies, Elrond did not do anything except he stayed at Rivendell and cried.

I dont deny that this series was influenced by woke (black hobbits, dwarf, elf), but i think the alt-right is just exaggerating this influence now.
    For example they claim that Galadriel is more masculine because of feminism, in the reality Galadriel had 100% same behavior in the First Age according to Silmarillion. So she was rebellious and vengeful when she went to Middle Earth from Valinor to punish Morgoth, although valars did not allow that. She showed her wild and warrior behaviour during the Kinslaying and several wars.
    In late Third Age Galadriel was more mature, wiser and calmer, i think because of elvish ring Nenya, this is the reason why Galadriel became magical. These who dont know the canon, think Galadriel was always like that, but this is not true, she had a dark side from the past, you can see it in this both scene:

So yes there is some woke in the series and some fault too, but its enjoyable.
    Yeah, I got some bad info from just before the series came out. It looks better than I thought, low key can't wait to watch it.

Last Online
    03-26-2024 @ 03:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry iberian, german, italian
    Country
    Argentina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,168
    Given: 4,757

0 Not allowed!

You dont understand this whole mythology. There is no racism in Tolkien's world. There were evil white humans too like angmarim, hillmen of Rhudaur, dunlendings. Hierarchy is not racially but rather geographical, cultural. The númenóreans were the best humans but just because they were closest to godly Valinor and it's light. This is the only reason.
    Easterlings and haradrim were not original evil, they were just corrupted and lived far away from Valinor. Obviously tons of easterling have fought against Sauron and they rebelled by blue wizards against the Dark Lord. Even the blonde blue eyed hillmen or rohirrim were inferior compared to swarthy númenóreans. But this is all just culturally not racially.
    I suppose that in Middle Earth there were wars conflicts of power between mens and elves.
    By the way, the men of Númenor were different from the rest of men, but still they were not incorruptible.
    According to Gandalf the most benevolent race were the hobbits.

Last Online
    03-26-2024 @ 03:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry iberian, german, italian
    Country
    Argentina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,168
    Given: 4,757

0 Not allowed!

Not that the hobbits were inspired by the Celts, and the shire in Ireland?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Zoomer
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggery View Post
    I suppose that in Middle Earth there were wars conflicts of power between mens and elves. By the way, the men of Númenor were different from the rest of men, but still they were not incorruptible.
    There were many conflict between elves and evil humans. Basically evil humans thought that elves hide the road to Valinor and eternal life from them, it was Sauron's lying. Read the Silmarillion about Númenor. Númenoreans were afraid of death, they started to built big morgues, the country was full of mummified corpses, the counselors experimented with resurrection of deads. Tolkien described the númenorean king called Ar-Pharazôn as the biggest tyrant of the world after Morgoth. Númenoreans sailed to Middle Earth to enslave other humans, and they brutally tortured and sacrificed them in a church what Sauron built. We will see it in the series for sure.

According to Gandalf the most benevolent race were the hobbits.
    In the late Third Age hobbits lived a peaceful life, because elves, dúnedains or Gandalf guarded them. But in the Second Age when hobbits lived in Rhovanion this safe space did not exist. This is what we see in the series when they are hiding themselves, they eat various snails and fruits what they have found in the forest, and they are semi-nomads because it is not safe to stand at one place too long.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Zoomer
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Not that the hobbits were inspired by the Celts, and the shire in Ireland?
    Hobbits were inspired by rural anglos.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information