Thread: Are you afraid of creepy crawlies?

Senior Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-17-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Country
    Singapore
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 7

0 Not allowed!

Default Are you afraid of creepy crawlies?

& if so, which ones scare you & why?

I hate bugs, & cockroaches have to be the top of the list for me. It’s not just a small fear, it's more like a genuine phobia. Who else can relate here?

From what I can tell, fear of creepy crawlies seems to be very common. Maybe that reflects something about human nature. How well documented is fear of creepy crawlies throughout history?

People seem to vary in how much they fear the crawlies. Some people don't fear them at all, I know some people who can even catch them with their hands, yet I also know people who are terrified of them like me.

What’s the psychology behind bear of creepy crawlies? Any evolutionary explanation for it? I wonder how logical it is? Bugs like cockroaches don’t seem to be the most dangerous creatures around. Sure cockroaches can carry germs, but a bad case of food poisoning is probably the worst it can get if a roach crawls across your food. Mosquitoes as carriers of disease are far more dangerous, yet people don’t seem to fear mosquitoes the same way they fear roaches.

Some of this fear probably depends on experience & familiarity with said crawlies, but I’m guessing there’s probably also something innate about it as well to human nature.

Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Barbarian
    Ancestry
    Uralo-German
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,161
    Given: 9,797

0 Not allowed!

Nope, i dont afraid of them.

Temporarily suspended for selling nuclear secrets
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Cajun
    Ancestry
    90% French (over 23 Filles du Roi), 6% Spanish, 0.5% Amerindian (Algonquin, Mi'kmaq), NWE
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Acadiana
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z16539
    mtDNA
    H4a
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid + Subhumanid + Inbredid
    Hero
    Definitely not Norb's
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 802
    Given: 2,472

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Homo Insapiens View Post
    I hate bugs, & cockroaches have to be the top of the list for me. It’s not just a small fear, it's more like a genuine phobia. Who else can relate here?
    I have an inborn phobia of cockroach antennae. They are more horrifying if I can't see the rest of the roach. I love bugs in general though.

People seem to vary in how much they fear the crawlies. Some people don't fear them at all, I know some people who can even catch them with their hands, yet I also know people who are terrified of them like me.
    I have observed the indigenous people of Coahuila have zero problem living with swarms of large flies, even when they land on their food, and make no effort to keep them away.

What’s the psychology behind bear of creepy crawlies? Any evolutionary explanation for it? I wonder how logical it is? Bugs like cockroaches don’t seem to be the most dangerous creatures around. Sure cockroaches can carry germs, but a bad case of food poisoning is probably the worst it can get if a roach crawls across your food. Mosquitoes as carriers of disease are far more dangerous, yet people don’t seem to fear mosquitoes the same way they fear roaches.

Some of this fear probably depends on experience & familiarity with said crawlies, but I’m guessing there’s probably also something innate about it as well to human nature.
    Mosquitoes already have an annoying buzz and itchy bite, maybe that's why we didn't develop an actual fear of them.
    Get this free Chrome extension to fix GEDmatch's archaic website:

Thread Information