Thread: My phenotypical observations in Slovenia

Veteran Member Hungarian_master's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Ancestry
    57,9% East European; 28,9% North-Western European; 9,9% Balkan; 3,3% Askhenazi Jewish
    Country
    Hungary
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,646
    Given: 5,022

2 Not allowed!

Default My phenotypical observations in Slovenia

In this summer I have been in Slovenia at three occasions, because I had holiday in Vas county (this county of Hungary are bordering with Slovenia).

Prekmurje: This region of Slovenia was part of the historical Hungary, so there are some Hungarian population there.
    In Prekmurje lives a distint sub-group of the Slovenes, the Wends (also, the majority of the Slovenians in Hungary are also Wends). Phenotypically they are very similar to Hungarians.

Good new, that in Prekmurje the number of tourists are minimal, so I seen technically only locals.

Also, I seen more Gypsies than other parts of Slovenia (but not as many as in my region, Northeastern Hungary). They look Indian with some Balkan vibe, just like Hungarian Gypsies.

Maribor: there were some tourists, but the most people were locals. They look more Austrian/South German, than the Wends of Prekmurje, but roughly similar.

Mostly Alpinids, Norids, Dinarids with some Subnordid and Borreby. They don't look typical Slavs, let alone Balkan (as Feiichy said, the Slovenians are the less Slavic looking Slavs). Best fit for them is Austria and North Croatia.

Ljubljana and Bled: unfortunatelly, these places are full of tourists, so I can't say far-reaching conclusion, but the Slovenian landscape are beatiful.

In Ljubljana the tourist-free places (which I seen only from the car) look same with the people of Maribor, but in the city-center were full of tourists; there were Spanish, German/Austrian, Italian and Arab tourists, for example.

Summary:
    The Slovenians look absolutely Central European, they don't look Balkan or Slavic. The Prekmurje Slovenes (Wends) look same with the Hungarians, the other parts of the country they look Austrian/North Croat.

Also, my sister and my mom observed, that the Slovenes are shorther on average than the Hungarians. Which sounds interesting, since the South Slavs are generally tall, also I didn't pay much attention to their height.

What are your opinions on my observations? You find it real?
    Last edited by Hungarian_master; 10-01-2022 at 07:35 PM.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,428
    Given: 5,741

1 Not allowed!

Do you find it hard to tell the difference between tourists(usually German, French, Dutch, Italian, British) to Slovenians? Anyway i am not surprised to hear that the Slovenes are shorter, they are probably more similar to Italians than the other north Balkan people who are supposed to be very tall and even Hungarians are more Germanic when it comes to height.

Last Online
    Today @ 03:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Aryan
    Ethnicity
    German & Romanian
    Ancestry
    Germanic, Slavic, Thracian
    Country
    Romania
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    Taxonomy
    European
    Politics
    conservative
    Hero
    Gunnar from Njall's Saga
    Religion
    atheist
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,517
    Given: 9,854

3 Not allowed!

I've been there over 10 years ago and my impressions were a bit different. I remember most people looking typical Yugo (SW Slav): the usual mix of local and Slavic elements with a minority that has German like look (less than Czech or ethnic French). I found people of Zagreb lighter and more Slavic looking to be honest (contrary to what anthropologists saw)

Slava Ukrainii
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-28-2023 @ 05:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Sweden
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,017
    Given: 505

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by aherne View Post
    I've been there over 10 years ago and my impressions were a bit different. I remember most people looking typical Yugo (SW Slav): the usual mix of local and Slavic elements with a minority that has German like look (less than Czech or ethnic French). I found people of Zagreb lighter and more Slavic looking to be honest (contrary to what anthropologists saw)
    I agree with this. And from what I've heard, they also have a great deal of noricum looks.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Ancestry
    57,9% East European; 28,9% North-Western European; 9,9% Balkan; 3,3% Askhenazi Jewish
    Country
    Hungary
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver109 View Post
    Do you find it hard to tell the difference between tourists(usually German, French, Dutch, Italian, British) to Slovenians?
    Since that they live in the same continent with Slovenia, a bit hard (especially as individually). On group level I can tell the difference; the German tourist groups were blonder and more NW European looking than the Slovenes, also they are tall on average (I seen many extreme tall women among German tourists). The Spanish tourist group were full of Atlanto Meds.

Anyway i am not surprised to hear that the Slovenes are shorter, they are probably more similar to Italians than the other north Balkan people who are supposed to be very tall and even Hungarians are more Germanic when it comes to height.
    Yes, they were shorter than us on average. Not only by the similar to Italians, because in my observation also the Austrians are shorter (caused by the frequency of Alpinids).

I think the people of the Alps are relatively short, this is the explanation about the height of Slovenians. Phenotypically they look more similar to Austrians/South Germans than the Serbs/Montenegrins.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Hungary
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

More comments?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Hungary
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Unfortunatelly the Slovenians are very underrated people in the TA. Would be great more thread about them.

Thread Information