Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,550
    Given: 28,997

0 Not allowed!

Default Ireland can no longer guarantee accommodation to Ukrainian refugees

I don't know about other countries but I'm sure Ireland is not the only country with this problem. There is just no accommodation left to place people. There has been a longstanding housing crisis in Ireland so this was always going to be a problem. Asylum seekers are using 30% hotel accommodation at present.

Last night, Ireland’s emergency refugee processing centre Citywest Transit Hub, located at Dublin Airport, temporarily closed to new arrivals because it was filled way over capacity and simply was unable to take in more people. Government sources say that there were twice as many people as there were beds.

This prompted a response from the Irish Minister for Children Equality, Disability Integration and Youth Roderic O'Gorman, who urged Ukrainians fleeing the war as well as other asylum seekers, to refrain from coming to the island if they have an alternative.

He also pointed out that the government is trying to work together with the Ukrainian embassy and urged people to stay in mainland Europe if they have a choice. The accommodation situation is so dire that Minister O’Gorman said that he cannot rule out people having to sleep in the street if the flow of refugees does not subside, as the RTÉ reported.

According to data from the UN Human Rights Council data, there are currently 56,000 Ukrainian refugees currently registered in Ireland. However, the problem with finding accommodation has been persistent since at least July, when there were only 43,000 registered Ukrainians.
    However, he also stressed that providing accommodation was a government obligation under international treaties – an obligation that Irish authorities would struggle to meet. Minister O’Gorman said that the possibility of people sleeping on the street is on the table.

Furthermore, if the influx would continue at the same pace, the government would have no choice but to start prioritising ‘vulnerable’ women and children over single males when it comes to accommodation.
    https://www.themayor.eu/en/a/view/ir...refugees-11127

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

This one is interesting because it has a lot of comments.

Read this and then remember that they said they would not put a limit on those arriving.
    @JedBartlett: and when people questioned the government… they where called Racists etc etc.
    @Tom Kelly: us minions knew nothing, we were bigots for having vulnerable people’s welfare at heart by the do gooder far left.
    If the failed asylum seekers were deported promptly we would be in a better position to deal with genuine cases.
    I know how to fix this. Everyone that supports increased numbers of people entering Ireland should either give up a room in their house or pay 500 Euro per month for the unforseen future as part of a building program to help refugees. I think that’s only fair, and it allows such people demonstrate their true Christian and/or moral values.

https://www.thejournal.ie/roderic-og...99053-Oct2022/

Sup? Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Of the school of Ron Jeremy
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,954
    Given: 12,770

2 Not allowed!

It's not surprising. People think of their own first and refugees are a financial burden. You can't expect people to be so altruistic towards foreigners when every nation has their own people in need.

The harsh reality of the cost behind taking care of asylum seekers > people's good intentions

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Frank Grimes View Post
    It's not surprising. People think of their own first and refugees are a financial burden. You can't expect people to be so altruistic towards foreigners when every nation has their own people in need.

The harsh reality of the cost behind taking care of asylum seekers > people's good intentions
    They literally don't have any accommodation available.

Mieshov Sherhii tells a similar story.

After he was told he must leave Citywest as there was no accommodation available for him, he said that he spent some time simply "walking along the streets" of Dublin.

"Finally, we got to the airport and slept in there," Mr Sherhii says with Ms Orlovska's help once again.

It's understood the whole group of more than a dozen Ukrainians who gathered outside the Capuchin Day Centre today, spent last night at the airport.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/1022/13...ugees-ireland/

They are prioritising women and children so making sure they will have a place to stay. The system is just overwhelmed.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

The war will end within the next 6 months unless NATO does something stupid. The question will be how many of these refugees will want to go back and will the governments be willing to force them to go back. Even before the war Ukaine was the most corrupt and poorly managed nation in the world. It's only natural that many women with children (and especially if the husband/father was killed in combat and so there is no provider) will want to stay in the West to give their child better opportunities.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

The war will end within the next 6 months unless NATO does something stupid. The question will be how many of these refugees will want to go back and will the governments be willing to force them to go back. Even before the war Ukaine was the most corrupt and poorly managed nation in the world. It's only natural that many women with children (and especially if the husband/father was killed in combat and so there is no provider) will want to stay in the West to give their child better opportunities.
    Yes it will be interesting to see what the long term outcome of all of this is. The whole situation is a worry.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Correction: most corrupt and poorly managed nation in Europe. To say 'the world' is silly.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-19-2024 @ 10:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    insan
    Ethnicity
    @
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,748
    Given: 9,033

0 Not allowed!

Why do Ukrainian refugees get so many preferential treatment unlike other refugees? Did the Syrian or Afghan came with a Porsche like I see a lot of expensive cars with Ukrainian registration numbers here? Not that I am supporting uncontrolled mass migration, but why does everyone try to teach humanity and justice if we are nor even ready to help people whose home we destroyed.

At least we don’t have harassments, like we have with other refugees.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mejgusu View Post
    Why do Ukrainian refugees get so many preferential treatment unlike other refugees? Did the Syrian or Afghan came with a Porsche like I see a lot of expensive cars with Ukrainian registration numbers here? Not that I am supporting uncontrolled mass migration, but why does everyone try to teach humanity and justice if we are nor even ready to help people whose home we destroyed.

At least we don’t have harassments, like we have with other refugees.
    It's easier to convince people to be compassionate towards others who look similar to them but then people realize, "Oh, this is costly" and "Oh, these people who look similar to me speak a funny language and aren't like me."

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-19-2024 @ 10:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    insan
    Ethnicity
    @
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,748
    Given: 9,033

0 Not allowed!

It's easier to convince people to be compassionate towards others who look similar to them but then people realize, "Oh, this is costly" and "Oh, these people who look similar to me speak a funny language and aren't like me."
    Agree, I don’t want to compare Ukrainians with Syrian refugees, I am fully aware that we have serious issues with second one. But I think it is a big mistake if people think there won’t be any trouble with European refugees and I am not speaking about costs. Also I am questioning a lot if things, didn’t we have a refugee crisis last year when we feared African and Middle Eastern refugees who were coming from East Europe, and same politicians who said that we don’t have any capacities for them are denying the serious issues now. For me an Ukranian and an African is the same, either you take care both of them or none. Or better, you don’t start a policy which leads millions of people to leave their home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information