H39
    Politics
    Ugly history as it is. Don't blame me.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,437
    Given: 1,436

1 Not allowed!

Default Hungary in recent European crisis

My view is that Hungary is in many ways balancing between EU and Russia. Hungary obviously conforms Russian expectations to some extent. For instance continues buying Russian gas and doesn't send military aid to Ukraine. Earlier Hungary and Poland unified a political power to object EU liberals, but now the Ukrainian war has broken the unanimousness. Strikingly different approaches. Have to say, Hungary follows her way determinedly. I can't see what is the objective of president Orban's politics. Is he expecting some fundamentals in European politics or follows his own visions about the Hungarian narrative Tell your opinion.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

0 Not allowed!

Hungarian economy is especially badly damaged and sinking. Forint inflation was biggest in entire EU few months ago.

EU closes the funds.

I was last time in Hungary last spring and was shocked how badly Budapest looked like (which implies crisis hit Hungary already before war in Ukraine, maybe during lockdown)

I don't know what the hell is happening there but few years ago HU was notably nicer than HR and now is the opposite.

Orban made a economic suicide IMO (exeggearated but whatever)

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-13-2024 @ 06:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H39
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    Hungarian economy is especially badly damaged and sinking. Forint inflation was biggest in entire EU few months ago.

EU closes the funds.

I was last time in Hungary last spring and was shocked how badly Budapest looked like.

I don't know what the hell is happening there but few years ago HU was notably nicer than HR and now is the opposite.

Sad to hear. I have always admired Hungary. You know I am an old guy and remember how well Hungary coped in the East European block.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,236
    Given: 43,780

0 Not allowed!

EU closes the funds.

I was last time in Hungary last spring and was shocked how badly Budapest looked like (which implies crisis hit Hungary already before war in Ukraine, maybe during lockdown)

Didn't Hungary have one of the strictest lockdowns and border closures of all in Europe for a long time?

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Didn't Hungary have one of the strictest lockdowns and border closures of all in Europe for a long time?
    yes I think so, I guess that wrecked Hungarian economy and than came war which further sank it since Russia is very important economic partner for Hungary + now imposed EU sanctions which were even few % of Hungarian GDP iirc.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemminkäinen View Post
    Sad to hear. I have always admired Hungary. You know I am an old guy and remember how well Hungary coped in the East European block.
    Hungarians admire Finland too. Stears hometown was twinned with small Finnish town for quite a long time and they always had positive exchange with Finns (locals traveling to Finland, Finns coming to visit Hungary, firefighters of both towns helping each other...). he remembers it very fondly.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,236
    Given: 43,780

2 Not allowed!

Hungarians admire Finland too. Stears hometown was twinned with small Finnish town for quite a long time and they always had positive exchange with Finns (locals traveling to Finland, Finns coming to visit Hungary, firefighters of both towns helping each other...). he remembers it very fondly.
    Finno-Ugric connection.

Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 AM
    Ethnicity
    half Persian, half Siamese
    Country
    Slovakia
    Taxonomy
    meow
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,516
    Given: 4,502

0 Not allowed!

Orban's Hungary is controlled opposition is what I suspect.
    He said he won't allow delivery of military aid through the territory of Hungary, but that was a lie.

The Ministry of Defense announced that in October, as part of the regular rotation of their units in Europe, the units of the US Defense Forces will transit through Slovenia, so between October 10 and 24 we can expect occasional increased traffic from the port of Koper in the direction of Pince international border crossing with Hungary.

Allied military equipment will be transported by train, while a portion will also be transported by road. Although they are trying to organize the transport in such a way that it is as least disruptive as possible for the rest of the road traffic participants, traffic jams could occur, the ministry warns.

The convoy will also be accompanied by a helicopter of the Slovenian Army
    Road and rail transit will take place from port of Koper to Hungary, but especially road transit will not take place during rush hours. The convoys of military vehicles will be accompanied by the military police of the Slovenian Army and occasionally also by a helicopter of the Slovenian Army.

As stated by the ministry, the Republic of Slovenia, with the Slovenian Army as a credible partner and ally, will make everything possible for the smooth and safe movement of allied equipment across its territory, which in the European area represents an important communication corridor in support of ensuring peace and security in Europe.

Around 850 pieces of equipment will be unloaded in Koper
    Based on a partnership with the Republic of Slovenia aimed at ensuring bilateral security, the U.S. Army will unload approximately 850 pieces of equipment assigned to the 101st Division's Logistics Support Brigade from Fort Campbell, Kentucky, at the port of Koper. support for US forces in Europe and NATO allies in response to the crisis in Ukraine.

Movement of military vehicles across Slovenia: congestion may occur on the roads
    Increased traffic between Slovenian port of Koper and Hungarian border crossing of Pinca due to the transit of US defense forces
    The US Army transports military vehicles and equipment through Slovenia

Last Online
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    born again atheist?
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,010
    Given: 12,243

2 Not allowed!

EU closes the funds.

What did you see in Hungary that looked bad?
    Finno-Ugric connection.
    I remember watching formula1 as a child. I saw kimmi raikkonen was a finn and thought, wow he's finno ugric like me. So I supported him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenka View Post
    He's just a populist, he says certain things to satisfy people.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-13-2024 @ 06:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H39
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Finno-Ugric connection.
    Linguistic hype didn't reach people, although we knew the connection. Hungary was very popular among travelling students.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information