View Poll Results: Do Romanians pass better in Britain or Afghanistan?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Britain

28 71.79%
  • Afghanistan

11 28.21%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Do Romanians pass better in Britain or Afghanistan?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 09:13 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,442
    Given: 5,757

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
    I would say closer to Georgians and Certain Turkish populations, possibly Armenian( I'm not too informed about their types so I can't really have a opinion on that) and then British . To say Afghans is a stretch but mention Lebanon and Syria is quite intriguing. The latter have types passing in southern Europe but very rare for them to look eastern euro / Balkan. Meanwhile for Afghans you can find types that wouldn't look out of place in Romania, just look at my thread with the Afghan contestants https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...-in-Game-Show)

Either way, my answer is Britain just because both are European countries and I don't want people getting their knickers in a twist.
    What I don't understand about Romania is that some can look very Turkish almost yet some of the examples above look very British, is it regional variation?

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,449
    Given: 31,622

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver109 View Post
    What I don't understand about Romania is that some can look very Turkish almost yet some of the examples above look very British, is it regional variation?
    Romania has a much more complex population history than Britain, so such extreme types can pop up here and there.

in practice the looks are more homogenous than they look on these threads (in practice absolute majority has brown hair, medium to dark, over half have brown eyes and about two in three have light skin, while about one in three has olive skin), because such off types are not common, though they aren't extremely uncommon either, they pop up here and there in all regions.

imagine that based on individual ancestry a Romanian can have any of these as recent mix or even a mix of several:
    - proper Romanian (Vlach)
    - Hungarian (including also Szeklers and Csangos)
    - German
    - Ukrainian
    - Russian Lipovan
    - Serb
    - Bulgarian
    - Roma (Gypsy) (the unmixed ones have up to 20-30% South Indian DNA)
    - Tatar (the unmixed ones have up to 30% East Asian DNA)
    - Turkish
    - Greek
    - Balkan Vlach (Aromanian)
    - Polish
    - Ashkenazi Jewish

and all this not mentioning the ones that are rather isolates but did exist until recently in some villages, like Slovaks, Croats, Italians (not recent, older settlers, like 19th century), Circassians.

anyway, strictly as overlap I think Romania has more real overlap with Afghanistan than with Britain, but not because Romanians would be less European when you look at the macro components (Yamnaya + European Neolithic + WHG), but because the European-like types in Afghanistan tend to look specifically Eastern European and Balkan in general.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurzat View Post
    Romania has a much more complex population history than Britain, so such extreme types can pop up here and there.

in practice the looks are more homogenous than they look on these threads (in practice absolute majority has brown hair, medium to dark, over half have brown eyes and about two in three have light skin, while about one in three has olive skin), because such off types are not common, though they aren't extremely uncommon either, they pop up here and there in all regions.

imagine that based on individual ancestry a Romanian can have any of these as recent mix or even a mix of several:
    - proper Romanian (Vlach)
    - Hungarian (including also Szeklers and Csangos)
    - German
    - Ukrainian
    - Russian Lipovan
    - Serb
    - Bulgarian
    - Roma (Gypsy) (the unmixed ones have up to 20-30% South Indian DNA)
    - Tatar (the unmixed ones have up to 30% East Asian DNA)
    - Turkish
    - Greek
    - Balkan Vlach (Aromanian)
    - Polish
    - Ashkenazi Jewish

and all this not mentioning the ones that are rather isolates but did exist until recently in some villages, like Slovaks, Croats, Italians (not recent, older settlers, like 19th century), Circassians.

anyway, strictly as overlap I think Romania has more real overlap with Afghanistan than with Britain, but not because Romanians would be less European when you look at the macro components (Yamnaya + European Neolithic + WHG), but because the European-like types in Afghanistan tend to look specifically Eastern European and Balkan in general.
    Very interesting, i think Romania is actually one of the more variable European countries, there are people there who can pass in Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Belgium, France, Ukraine, Lithuania or even Sweden.

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,449
    Given: 31,622

3 Not allowed!

Very interesting, i think Romania is actually one of the more variable European countries, there are people there who can pass in Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Belgium, France, Ukraine, Lithuania or even Sweden.
    also Turkey, Iran, Central Asia, India some look Latino, even like Native-influenced

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

also Turkey, Iran, Central Asia, India some look Latino, even like Native-influenced
    Indeed though only the very north of India or Pakistan, i don't count Gypsies as native Romanians though some natives could look like Kalash

Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Politics
    Independent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,178
    Given: 3,225

1 Not allowed!

A lot of those examples posted on this forum are not representative, though some of them aren't rare either. I will soon post a thread with Romanian groups from throughout the country to get a better picture of how we look.

Most European countries are variable, I don't particularly find Romanians more varied than in other countries. I can think of other countries more diverse than us, like Croatia, Hungary, France, Italy, even Germany.

Central Asia and India is a big stretch, I've never seen Central Asian or Indian-looking Romanians. Maybe you mean Gypsies, but they're not ethnic Romanians

Spoiler!

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
    A lot of those examples posted on this forum are not representative, though some of them aren't rare either. I will soon post a thread with Romanian groups from throughout the country to get a better picture of how we look.

Most European countries are variable, I don't particularly find Romanians more varied than in other countries. I can think of other countries more diverse than us, like Croatia, Hungary, France, Italy, even Germany.

Central Asia and India is a big stretch, I've never seen Central Asian or Indian-looking Romanians. Maybe you mean Gypsies, but they're not ethnic Romanians

Spoiler!
    France wouldn't be as diverse as they don't have eastern European phenotypes, lots of Romanians do have mongol influence so they can look central Asian.

Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Politics
    Independent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,178
    Given: 3,225

0 Not allowed!

lots of Romanians do have mongol influence so they can look central Asian.
    No they don't, it's like saying a lot of Spaniards look North African.

I'm from the Southeastern part of Romania where there's a Turkic minority living there, mongol influence is prevalent among these people and they look completely different from Romanians.
    Last edited by Tommie; 01-08-2024 at 04:05 AM.

Last Online
    Today @ 03:19 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Aryan
    Ethnicity
    German & Romanian
    Ancestry
    Germanic, Slavic, Thracian
    Country
    Romania
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    Taxonomy
    European
    Politics
    conservative
    Hero
    Gunnar from Njall's Saga
    Religion
    atheist
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,521
    Given: 9,862

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
    No they don't, it's like saying a lot of Spaniards look North African.

I'm from the Southeastern part of Romania where there's a Turkic minority living there, mongol influence is prevalent among these people and they look completely different from Romanians.
    Many Romanians look similar to them, though, especially those from South-East (highest nr. in Bessarabia). Of my coworkers, 2-3/100 are mainly Turanid (flat faced, slanty eyed)... It's completely expected from a historical perspective that Romanians have some Siberian influence (5-10x more common among anatolian Turks)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information