View Poll Results: Who has contributed more to civilizatoin, Latins or Germanics? Post a Poll

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Latins

93 54.39%
  • Germanics

44 25.73%
  • about even

34 19.88%
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has contributed more to civilizatoin, Latins or Germanics?

Banned
    Last Online
    02-14-2013 @ 04:21 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Occidental
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranean
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Romania vs Nglund.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-13-2012 @ 05:43 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Român
    Ancestry
    Roman Empire, Roman Dacia.
    Country
    Romania
    Taxonomy
    Alpine mediterranean
    Politics
    Impaling n00bs
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    Romania vs Nglund.
    Dracula vs James Bond.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    11-28-2011 @ 12:53 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Ethnicity
    Gone.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

0 Not allowed!

Western Civilisation is Germanic. The Latins ceased to have influence with the death of their Civilisation in the fourth century AD.

My Countship is not of this world Comte Arnau's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-18-2015 @ 02:38 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European (Romanic)
    Ethnicity
    Catalan
    Ancestry
    Pyrenean
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Catalunya
    Taxonomy
    W/S Europid
    Politics
    Sovereigntism
    Religion
    Cult to Pyrene
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,755
    Given: 1,407

0 Not allowed!

I'd just like to pose a few questions...

• Was Germanic the language used for any important work on science or thought in Europe for more than 2,000 years?
    • Are the official or prevailing religions of the European states "Germanic" or derived from the official one of the Roman Empire: Christianity?
    • Is modern western Law more derived from Teutonic rules or Roman law?
    • Has western architecture inspired more on Greco-Roman buildings or on Germanic ones through the centuries?
    • Is Germanic the alphabet in which we are writing all these letters?

< La Catalogne peut se passer de l'univers entier, et ses voisins ne peuvent se passer d'elle. > Voltaire

Peyrol

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Arnau View Post
    I'd just like to pose a few questions...

• Was Germanic the language used for any important work on science or thought in Europe for more than 2,000 years?
    • Are the official or prevailing religions of the European states "Germanic" or derived from the official one of the Roman Empire: Christianity?
    • Is modern western Law more derived from Teutonic rules or Roman law?
    • Has western architecture inspired more on Greco-Roman buildings or on Germanic ones through the centuries?
    • Is Germanic the alphabet in which we are writing all these letters?

And also: "why about 60% of modern english words are virtually identicals to the italian counterparts?"

Banned
    Last Online
    08-11-2012 @ 01:58 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Saxon, Norman
    Country
    Scotland
    Politics
    Progressive Ethnocentrism
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

0 Not allowed!

Hmmm...good question. In modern times, Germanics have obviously contributed with more. The British are probably the single most successful "group" in world history. Although the Latins have many contributions of their own. I voted for Germanics, although it's a close contest. It's not an obvious win, like Latins vs. Balts or something.

Western Civilisation is Germanic. The Latins ceased to have influence with the death of their Civilisation in the fourth century AD.
    Erm...the Renaissance took place in Italy, it wouldn't have happened without the Italian city-states. Also, France invented the secular republic and has always been a producer of European high culture.

IMO, what we call "Western civilisation" is really a synthesis of the Germanic value system and Greco-Roman law and philosophy.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

0 Not allowed!

Was a Germanic the language used for any important work on science or thought in Europe for more than 2,000 years?
    No. A "Germanic" language will be important for scientific words for the next ,000 years though.
    Latin is still used for internationally naming plants and animals, for example - "Rosa Canina" is very easily identified as the Dog (Canine) Rose in English.

Latin left quite a lot of scientific vocabulary in English especially, much isn't used by most people but other words such as "canine" as highlighted above are used when describing things.
    It is said there are three levels in English - Common, everyday speech (mainly Germanic with some French), Academic (largely French with some Latin) and finally Scientific (Greek and Latin).
    When people tell you that most Romanic words in English aren't used any more a lot of what they are describing is the scientific layer which isn't largely used by most people.

I personally find the hybrid Germano-Romanic nature of the language fascinating though.

Are the official or prevailing religions of the European states "Germanic" or derived from the official one of the Roman Empire: Christianity?
    Arainism would have succeeded if you hadn't of killed it. Germanic paganism influenced it in some areas and the Germanics largely created the protestant denominations too.

Is modern western Law more derived from Teutonic rules or Roman law?
    Funny you should ask that, England is one of the few countries in Europe with Germanic law (Common law). Even most Germanic countries follow Roman (Civil) law.
    Most other countries which follow Common law are former British colonies.

Red: Common (Germanic) law based on that of England. Blue: Civil (Roman) law. Brown: Hybrid Common and Germanic law.

Has western architecture inspired more on Greco-Roman buildings or on Germanic ones through the centuries?
    I'd say Greco-Roman but Germanic building practices had a large input too. Greco-Roman designs effectively killed roundhouses in Britain which dated back to the Bronze Age or even before, so thanks for that...

I'd say building styles made from brick or stone are more of a Roman input and thatch and timber frame I've always associated with Germanics. I know it isn't quite so clear cut, but it is a generalisation.

Is Germanic the alphabet in which we are writing all these letters?
    No, the church killed it. But Latin script isn't alone in Europe, there's Cyrillic, Greek, Georgian and Armenian too.
    Latin script itself was based on the Greek alphabet which was based on Middle Eastern alphabets which were based on Cuneiform. Then again Runic was itself based on Latin script.

I think I've presented a fair analysis.

And also: "why about 60% of modern english words are virtually identicals to the italian counterparts?"
    Yes Tribuno, we all know why. I love it how the English are used as a weapon here.

Hmmm...good question. In modern times, Germanics have obviously contributed with more.
    Agreed. It's only since the Middle Ages though, but we have time yet.

The British are probably the single most successful "group" in world history.

I voted for Germanics, although it's a close contest. It's not an obvious win, like Latins vs. Balts or something.
    I voted Germanic because I'm biased and can't bring myself to support the Romans yet no matter how much I admired their civilisation.

France invented the secular republic and has always been a producer of European high culture.
    France is as Romanic as England is Germanic. Neither fit neatly in a category.

Yeah,with what? Stealing French lands?
    We didn't. We were dragged into a French civil war by our Norman French kings. Many Norman monarchs never even visited England let alone lived there. Richard the Lionheart is a good example.
    We were seen as the bad guys because a lot of people from England were in the armies and because the Angevin Empire and its successor state in England were portrayed as English invaders by the French state.
    Basically England was dragged into a war which had nothing to do with it by its foreign aristocracy.

The Normans in turn were French with minor Viking input - basically the descendants of Romans doing what Romans do best. Maybe they were trying to a new Gallic Empire?

On a side note the Normans actually reintroduced many things that had been lost after the Romans left - cavalry, castles, a Romanic language (England had its own version of French - Anglo-Norman which passed vocabulary onto English), Romanic architecture, vineyards, cider, etc. They even brought back rabbits.

IMO, what we call "Western civilisation" is really a synthesis of the Germanic value system and Greco-Roman law and philosophy.
    Agreed.

Banned
    Last Online
    12-05-2011 @ 05:25 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Human
    Ethnicity
    Between North and South Europe
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Hentai
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

Latins

Peyrol

0 Not allowed!

Vandalic faida rules

Last Online
    04-18-2012 @ 09:13 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    Canadian
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    Machiavellian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
    I think this is a pretty fair comparison.
    Not really. You can't really compare the contributions of both groups because one of them has obviously done so much more than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
    I say Germanics.
    Latins. Everything else is derivative.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -- Epicurus

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread Information