Thread: Taxonomy as an important but often ignored aspect in modern art and film

Atlantean Pale Baron Todesritter's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-07-2023 @ 09:45 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Austro-Hungarian
    Ancestry
    Western Slavic + Germanic Cisleithanian ancestral HRE mix
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid + Faelid
    Politics
    Anarcho-monarchist spiritually stratified ethnostate
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 308
    Given: 134

0 Not allowed!

Default Taxonomy as an important but often ignored aspect in modern art and film

Modern art and visual media overall often seem to completely ignore phenotype and its contribution to immersion and realism within the medium if they don't straight up ignore even grossly obvious characteristics like skin colour. This leads to incoherent works, or a portfolio of similar faces devoid of differentiation or individuality. The reasons, of course, are obviously rooted in the predominant culture of racial nihilism - what is less obvious to me is why so few people notice there is something obviously wrong and incoherent within this unless they go looking for the signs? When I raise the issue (most frequently in the context of authors depicting characters of completely different origin with whom their features don't whatsoever add up, like north american North Atlantid actors playing slavs), many consider it a rebuttal that at least they're presented as the correct race. Which should be a bare minimum at the very bottom level of acceptability.
    In regards to visual art, this has partly got to do with globalisation and diversification of the phenotypes the typical artist is presented with in his daily life - given that professional artists are more likely to come from urban areas or have spent a significant time in such to attend education or move there for work - they may even ignore what the dominant phenotypes in their home are and thus pay no attention to the differences if they happen to travel, either.

This obviously primarily regards the West.

Do you mind a lack of knowledge of phenotypes in visual media? Do you notice it very quickly and automatically?
    Do you think a level of awareness of it should be encouraged, if not even formally taught if one wishes to pursue an education in art?

Feel free to include examples of works that circumvent this and do it right despite having every opportunity for error, or comment on ones that failed to do so (such as every popular fantasy work in the recent years).

Ein einzelner Gefangener.. Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Horse-Human of Wyoming
    Ethnicity
    Hillbilly
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106/R-Z156
    mtDNA
    U5b2
    Taxonomy
    Country Boy
    Politics
    Zeitzeuge einer Zeitenwende
    Hero
    Klaus Störtebeker, Kurt Knispel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,428
    Given: 5,274

0 Not allowed!

Most people simply dont care for this things. They dont even care for the most basic aspects like story or acting. If things go boom frequently on the screen, there are bright and pretty colours, maybe there is a sex scene or two, then it`s all the majority ever asks for (and is capable of comprehending). Folks on this kinds of forums here tend to forget how simple minded the average Joe or Jane is. Even if presented with correct phenos correspondenting with the ethnicities the actors represent, or things like historically correct costumes, backgrounds and the like most of the time they simply dont notice.
    Runen raunen rechten Rat, über eiserne Felder nun zur Tat!

Ein einzelner Gefangener.. Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Horse-Human of Wyoming
    Ethnicity
    Hillbilly
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106/R-Z156
    mtDNA
    U5b2
    Taxonomy
    Country Boy
    Politics
    Zeitzeuge einer Zeitenwende
    Hero
    Klaus Störtebeker, Kurt Knispel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,428
    Given: 5,274

0 Not allowed!

Let me give you an example: before the war most folks here in Germany were hardly aware of the Ukrainian nation at all and completely unable to associate anything other than the usual Slav klischees with it, tops. A lot didnt even know this country existed in the first place, let alone how an Ukrainian looks like. And that`s only from a seemingly super developed and "open-to-the-world" country, which isnt even that terribly far away in this regards. So it`s not in the slightest surprising that people just dont care about Taxonomy, be it in Media or in real life.
    Runen raunen rechten Rat, über eiserne Felder nun zur Tat!

Atlantean Pale Baron Todesritter's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-07-2023 @ 09:45 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Austro-Hungarian
    Ancestry
    Western Slavic + Germanic Cisleithanian ancestral HRE mix
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid + Faelid
    Politics
    Anarcho-monarchist spiritually stratified ethnostate
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 308
    Given: 134

0 Not allowed!

I'm aware the majority of people is borderline braindead - and I'm putting this lightly - and cares for nothing but the quickest way to get their endorphin fix from a highly stimulating slide of explosions and drama, but that still doesn't account for the more intellectual 10% which still rarely ever mentions it nor seems particularly bothered what it implies, a kind of loss of national identity and loss of awareness of ethnic differences and their significance. You'd expect someone with a doctorate in art teaching academic painting and anatomy to be aware of this, but I've never encountered it. At best people do it on instinct by observing their countrymen.

Banned
    Last Online
    08-07-2023 @ 11:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Chidingfold Surrey
    Country
    England
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid+Angle-Saxon
    Politics
    Tory
    Hero
    Queen Elizabeth I (the golden age)
    Religion
    Anglican
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 154

0 Not allowed!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Todesritter View Post
    Modern art and visual media overall often seem to completely ignore phenotype and its contribution to immersion and realism within the medium if they don't straight up ignore even grossly obvious characteristics like skin colour. This leads to incoherent works, or a portfolio of similar faces devoid of differentiation or individuality. The reasons, of course, are obviously rooted in the predominant culture of racial nihilism - what is less obvious to me is why so few people notice there is something obviously wrong and incoherent within this unless they go looking for the signs? When I raise the issue (most frequently in the context of authors depicting characters of completely different origin with whom their features don't whatsoever add up, like north american North Atlantid actors playing slavs), many consider it a rebuttal that at least they're presented as the correct race. Which should be a bare minimum at the very bottom level of acceptability.
    In regards to visual art, this has partly got to do with globalisation and diversification of the phenotypes the typical artist is presented with in his daily life - given that professional artists are more likely to come from urban areas or have spent a significant time in such to attend education or move there for work - they may even ignore what the dominant phenotypes in their home are and thus pay no attention to the differences if they happen to travel, either.

This obviously primarily regards the West.

Do you mind a lack of knowledge of phenotypes in visual media? Do you notice it very quickly and automatically?
    Do you think a level of awareness of it should be encouraged, if not even formally taught if one wishes to pursue an education in art?

Feel free to include examples of works that circumvent this and do it right despite having every opportunity for error, or comment on ones that failed to do so (such as every popular fantasy work in the recent years).
    Honestly, I don't know since I tend not to watch a lot of movies but I can't say I have noticed this possible trend [in regards to the depiction of the English in films :

Pride and Prejudice :

Pride and Prejudice with Zombies :

The Duchess :

Brideshead Revisited 1 & 2 :

Master and Commander :

Queen Elizabeth I depiction :

etc.. etc.. etc.. ^it all looks basically correct to me mate.

Thread Information