Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Hungarian - Romanian rivalry overblown?

Last Online
    03-25-2024 @ 08:30 PM
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 41

0 Not allowed!

Default Is the Hungarian - Romanian rivalry overblown?

I was trying to think of European rivalries that are not as intense in modern times and Hungarians and Romanians was a thought. Do these two get along better in the real world than what the internet might show? Are they just indifferent to each other? I don't think these two dislike each other like a Serb and Croat generally would.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:38 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Undecided
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Ancestry
    German+Hungarian
    Country
    Hungary
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    mtDNA
    U5a1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,046
    Given: 990

3 Not allowed!

This hating Romania and Romanians thing kind of became a meme by now. At least with young people.
    Lot of swearing includes/mentions Romanians, just like A román kurva anyádat (your romanian whore mother) etc, but I dont think most Hungarians actually hate Romanians.

Last Online
    02-28-2024 @ 02:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Eastern Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Ancestry
    Vlacho-Cuman
    Country
    Romania
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-S17250)
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,320
    Given: 7,523

4 Not allowed!

There are no real animosities between Romanians and Hungarians in Romania. A lot of mixed families in Transylvania...ethnicities aren't brought up much in real life. It's mostly politics. Politicians try to score points bringing up this situation every time there are elections. I also don't think anyone experienced any issue of any kind by traveling from Romania to Hungary or the other way around. None that I've ever heard about at least...
    Last edited by Seya; 02-28-2023 at 03:50 PM.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Zoomer
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,300
    Given: 9,873

0 Not allowed!

I dont know any rivalization. Just because some hungarian and romanian dont like each other, it doesnt mean the both country have rivalry.

Hungarians are comparing themselves to austrians, just like always in the history. Austria is the idol country for hungarian leftists, they want such standard of living, austrian school system. Even hungarian conservatives see the history in austro-hungarian line for example Battle of Pressburg, when Mathias Corvinus invaded Wien, Kurucz uprising or 1848-1849 revolution etc. Before 20. century, Romania was irrelevant from hungarian point of view.

So Hungary has only one rival, its Austria, but not in negative way.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    I dont know any rivalization. Just because some hungarian and romanian dont like each other, it doesnt mean the both country have rivalry.

Hungarians are comparing themselves to austrians, just like always in the history. Austria is the idol country for hungarian leftists, they want such standard of living, austrian school system. Even hungarian conservatives see the history in austro-hungarian line for example Battle of Pressburg, when Mathias Corvinus invaded Wien, Kurucz uprising or 1848-1849 revolution etc. Before 20. century, Romania was irrelevant from hungarian point of view.

I don't get it.

Hungary is much cooler place than Austria, Budapest much more exciting and interesting city than Vienna.

Austria is much richer but it's such a boring and sterile place compared to Hungary. Plus it's frigid cold both in climate and people.

I'd live in Hungary million times rather than in Austria. Austria is to me one of least attractive European countries for living countries unlike Germany which I like a lot.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    born again atheist?
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,019
    Given: 12,247

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post

That is opinion of Ungarndeutsche. Actual Hungarians (like myself) don't believe Austrians are our rivals.

Taliban affiliated media Foghorn's Avatar
    Last Online
    02-06-2024 @ 12:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Marauding Serb
    Ethnicity
    Serbian
    Ancestry
    Northwestern Serbia / Central Serbia ; Mačva / Šumadija
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    R1b1a
    Politics
    Totalitarianism, Absolutist Monarchism
    Hero
    Stalin, Metternich, Palmerston
    Religion
    Православље
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

Hungarians had a misfortune of being dragged into a war that wasn't theirs, and lost disproportionally a lot, considering they have been party taken to the war pretty much against their will.

I am not very well informed on how Hungarians are treated in Romania, but internet banter between Hungarians and Romanians never reached anything remotely close to Serbian-Croat relations.

Questions for Hungarians, do you feel that on average there are more negative feelings towards Slovaks or Romanians, if you asked regular, decently educated Hungarian person ?

Last Online
    02-04-2024 @ 06:08 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ulster Scot/Welsh/German
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Tennessee
    Hero
    Andy Jackson
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 240

0 Not allowed!

I think the posters starting crap between the two have been banned. Also seems the Serbia-Albania crap has cooled off lately, maybe certain posters where banned also.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    born again atheist?
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,019
    Given: 12,247

0 Not allowed!

Hungary was historically rival of Austria (19th century and before). Today? Not at all. Hungarians don't care much about about Austrians in 2023, let alone considering them rivals. If Hungarians have rivalry with someone, it's with Romanians and to a lesser extent Slovaks. Football matches between Romania and Hungary (club and national level) are often hyped by media, there's a lot of tension. A few times fans even fought each other. There are also history/territorial disputes between Hungarians and Romanians (Hungarians saying Romanians are not indigeneous in Transylvania, Hungarian nationalists wishing Transylvania belonged to them etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by Seya View Post
    There are no real animosities between Romanians and Hungarians in Romania. A lot of mixed families in Transylvania...ethnicities aren't brought up much in real life. It's mostly politics. Politicians try to score points bringing up this situation every time there are elections. I also don't think anyone experienced any issue of any kind by traveling from Romania to Hungary or the other way around. None that I've ever heard about at least...
    Politicians promote ideas that are sellable.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by robertb View Post
    I think the posters starting crap between the two have been banned. Also seems the Serbia-Albania crap has cooled off lately, maybe certain posters where banned also.
    Actually in the Balkans Croat-Serb hate has always been much more intense than Albo-Serb one (or any rivlary vs muslim Slavs) and main driver that tore apart both Yugoslavias.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information