Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Hungarian - Romanian rivalry overblown?

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

1 Not allowed!

Speaking about Slovaks, a friend from NW Croatia read me funny anegdote recorded in historical books from his region few days ago.

Apparently in some NW Croat village there was village feast and celebratory holiday (turn of 19/20 century) and some local musicians played Magyar Csardas music.

A local Slovak became very irritated and shouted to stop playing Hungarian Gypsy music and how they should play "our common Slavic music" instead of that.

Taliban affiliated media Foghorn's Avatar
    Last Online
    02-06-2024 @ 12:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Marauding Serb
    Ethnicity
    Serbian
    Ancestry
    Northwestern Serbia / Central Serbia ; Mačva / Šumadija
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    R1b1a
    Politics
    Totalitarianism, Absolutist Monarchism
    Hero
    Stalin, Metternich, Palmerston
    Religion
    Православље
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

These things could change fairly quickly.
    Looking at Serb-Hungarian situation, it should be very similar to Hungarian-Romanian relations.

Large Hungarian minority left behind on a territory lost in a war, but since Orban and Vucic started wheeling and dealing, at least from Serbian side there is now much better reception of Hungarians and much warmer attitude, despite it was never really that bad or hostile.

So who knows, if Hungarians and Romanians find some common ground, it might change.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:42 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    born again atheist?
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,991
    Given: 12,223

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    This is opinion of hungarian ultra nationalists, not the average hungarians. These questions are from the most popular hungarian community site called "gyakorikerdések", just in the last month, tons of question about Austria:
    https://www.gyakorikerdesek.hu/polit...magyarorszagot
    https://www.gyakorikerdesek.hu/polit...lnek-az-embere
    https://www.gyakorikerdesek.hu/polit...es-hangulat-ak
    https://www.gyakorikerdesek.hu/polit...-lenne-erosebb
    https://www.gyakorikerdesek.hu/polit...szerzodes-miat
    https://www.gyakorikerdesek.hu/polit...ia-resze-lenne

And this is just the last 1 month! I have seen such comparisons everywhere. Indeed, the nationalists want to rivalize with Romania, but they dont represent all hungarians in general.
    It's enough to look at this forum. Hungarian users (including you, even though you're German) frequently argued with Slovak and Romanian posters. Austrian users don't argue with Hungarians or vice versa, we aren't interested in each other.

This hungarian-romanian hate exist mostly in internet, not really in real life.
    Your links aren't from the internet?

Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas's comment (Portuguese apricity member): None of the Romanians I met in real life had a very favorable opinion about Hungary.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Foghorn View Post
    These things could change fairly quickly.
    Looking at Serb-Hungarian situation, it should be very similar to Hungarian-Romanian relations.

Large Hungarian minority left behind on a territory lost in a war, but since Orban and Vucic started wheeling and dealing, at least from Serbian side there is now much better reception of Hungarians and much warmer attitude, despite it was never really that bad or hostile.

So who knows, if Hungarians and Romanians find some common ground, it might change.
    Average Hungarians don't like Serbs. Just because Vucic and Orban are bros it doesn't mean Serbs are liked in Hungary.

Although most people are neutral towards them and some even positive but many aren't, especially those that came from Vojvodina in 1990s.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Marauding Serb
    Ethnicity
    Serbian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    R1b1a
    Politics
    Hero
    Religion
    Православље
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    Average Hungarians don't like Serbs. Just because Vucic and Orban are bros it doesn't mean Serbs are liked in Hungary.

Although most people are neutral towards them and some even positive but many aren't, especially those that came from Vojvodina in 1990s.
    That is a great comment, too bad it has nothing to do with mine. I never spoke about Hungarian feelings towards Serbs , I said that Serbian stance on Hungarians is much better now than it was before.

Hungarians live in Vojvodina to this very day and there is nothing wrong done to them, there are multi-lingual schools, road signs, their culture is out there in the open and there were no documented hostilities as far as I can remember, or if they were, they were very small and insignificant.

Since Orban started to drop bombs and for some reason speak about Bosnia and Croatia, he gained much respect in Serbia.
    Who knows, once enemies, we might be doing just fine in the future, which i certainly welcome.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ions#xj4y7vzkg

https://balkaninsight.com/2022/01/05...ion-of-bosnia/

Last Online
    Today @ 11:53 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Zoomer
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,245
    Given: 9,844

0 Not allowed!

[QUOTE=Universe;7674258]It's enough to look at this forum. Hungarian users (including you, even though you're German) frequently argued with Slovak and Romanian posters. Austrian users don't argue with Hungarians or vice versa.

This forum? Do you think this forum represents ethnicities? Dont make me laugh. Everything what you said its true only for ultranationalists, not for average peoples. There are ultranationalists in both side who have serious paranoia towards ech other, of course these ultranationalists are minority in Hungary and in Romania too.
    Do you think the hungarian national identity is determined by romanian-hungarian war instead of 48' or kurucz uprising or battle of Pressburg or when Mathias Corvinus marched to Wien?

Even the ultranationalists wrote songs about these things like this:

I listen nationalist music sometimes, i have never seen any song about Romania or Slovakia, only the wars against Habsburgs, austrians or ww2.

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas's comment (Portuguese apricity member):
    None of the Romanians I met in real life had a very favorable opinion about Hungary.
    Okay and just check Seya's comment. Btw she is 100% right.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Foghorn View Post
    That is a great comment, too bad it has nothing to do with mine. I never spoke about Hungarian feelings towards Serbs , I said that Serbian stance on Hungarians is much better now than it was before.

Hungarians live in Vojvodina to this very day and there is nothing wrong done to them, there are multi-lingual schools, road signs, their culture is out there in the open and there were no documented hostilities as far as I can remember, or if they were, they were very small and insignificant.

Since Orban started to drop bombs and for some reason speak about Bosnia and Croatia, he gained much respect in Serbia.
    Who knows, once enemies, we might be doing just fine in the future, which i certainly welcome.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ions#xj4y7vzkg

https://balkaninsight.com/2022/01/05...ion-of-bosnia/
    Sorry to burst your bubble but average Hungarian has much better opinion about Croats compared to Serbs (although even that is mostly neutral) as we are one of their rare neighbours they have good relations with. Slovenes are other but they had little historical contact. With Austrians it's complicated.

Nowadays Hungarians in Serbia enjoy good status but they certainly didn't forget 1990s. I know Hungarians who escaped forced mobilization in Serbia specifically targeting minorities (Slovaks too) similar to what Ukraine is doing these days, and those who fled Vojvodina after death threats from their Serb neighbours.

They hate your guts although average people don't.

Hungarians generally look down on Balkan people (this applies to Croats too although to notably lesser extent) and if they will ever look south to demand their lands back, Vojvodina will be first, have no doubts about that.

Insufferable by many Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Politics
    Bros over hoes
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,261
    Given: 13,618

0 Not allowed!

Sorry to burst your bubble but average Hungarian has much better opinion about Croats compared to Serbs (although even that is mostly neutral) as we are one of their rare neighbours they have good relations with. Slovenes are other but they had little historical contact. With Austrians it's complicated.

Nowadays Hungarians in Serbia enjoy good status but they certainly didn't forget 1990s. I know Hungarians who escaped forced mobilization in Serbia specifically targeting minorities (Slovaks too) similar to what Ukraine is doing these days, and those who fled Vojvodina after death threats from their Serb neighbours.

Hungarians generally look down on Balkan people (this applies to Croats too although to notably lesser extent) and if they will ever look south to demand their lands back, Vojvodina will be first, have no doubts about that.
    Retard Milanovic along with his government singlehandendly ruined Croatian-Hungarian relations during migrant crysis. I noticed that from that point on Orban and his government orientated more strongly towards Serbia.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:42 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Fiji
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    born again atheist?
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,991
    Given: 12,223

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    By this: "Austria & Hungary is like a husband & wife, a marriage between the Double-Headed Eagle and St. Mary the Virgin." I have talked about the history, not about the present days. Hungarians compare themselves with austrians in most times, its also true nowadays too.
    It's quite one sided "rivalry", some Hungarians may compare themselves to Austria but not the other way around. Hungarians compare themselves to Slovaks and Romanians more often, they know it's a more realistic comparison. I even heard Hungarians compare Hungary to Bulgaria. I am guessing you want to establish connections between Austria and Hungary due to your mixed (German and Hungarian) background.

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie
    This forum?
    Do you think this forum represents ethnicities?
    Who represent Hungarians then? You, despite being German?
    Dont make me laugh. Everything what you said its true only for ultranationalists, not for average peoples. There are ultranationalists in both side who have serious paranoia towards ech other, of course these ultranationalists are minority in Hungary and in Romania too.
    Do you think the hungarian national identity is determined by romanian-hungarian war instead of 48' or kurucz uprising or battle of Pressburg or when Mathias Corvinus marched to Wien?

Even the ultranationalists wrote songs about these things like this:

I listen nationalist music sometimes, i have never seen any song about Romania or Slovakia, only the wars against Habsburgs, austrians or ww2.

Okay and just check Seya's comment. Btw she is 100% right.
    1) A few times I heard Hungarians say "román" as an insult. Some people will say "you're a román" when he wants to insult others, these are not nationalists. Some Hungarian look down on Slovaks and ridicule them for having a short history of statehood. In Slovakia "you're a magyar" is used as an insult. So it's not just nationalists, there are micro agressions between average folks and I'm not claiming every Hungarian and Romanians hate each other, I think you're misunderstanding me.

2)
    To sing about Transylvania and Slovakia and wishing they belonged to Hungary is common among Hungarian nationalists. A popular hungarian nationalist song: "Régi mániám tankkal végig menni Románián" (english translation: "my dream is going through Romania with a tank")

3)
    About seya's comment: she claims conflicts are created by politicians, but the thing is politicians say stuff that sells. Romania-Hungarian conflict interests people, so that is why politicians talk about it. If a Romanian politician started to talk about Romanian-Argentinian conflict he wouldn't get any votes with it because nobody's interested in that.

You're coping due to your mixed background.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Marauding Serb
    Ethnicity
    Serbian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    R1b1a
    Politics
    Hero
    Religion
    Православље
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I don't live in a bubble. I don't need Hungarians to love me in order to co-operate with them wherever we have common goals. Sucking up and crying for love is found among some other nations, west of Serbia. Serbia have proven over and over that we are not looking for love or affection, I thought that is settled already for most people.

This thing about mobilization is outright lie, as most of Hungarians not only did not serve , nor were mobilized , incredibly big majority remained home, and remained in Serbia, no matter what our country has been going through. At least 3 of them are hailed as heroes in Serbia for their effort throughout bombing of Yugoslavia.
    But it is very obvious that you will say whatever is needed to push forward your own perception of Serbs.

and if they will ever look south to demand their lands back, Vojvodina will be first, have no doubts about that.
    They can, and that is their right, though I don't really see that happening anytime soon, or ever. Things are going good, trade is booming, international co-operation is booming, we are on the same side in this whole mess as of now, and I hope it stays that way.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information