Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which country/region are the most similar to Hungary?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatian hinterland
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,617
    Given: 4,629

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    It's not comparable though. Except Kosovo, Serbia didn't lose anything as territories that were inhabited by Serbs were not historically part of Serbia.
    Hungary on the other hand lost it's territories but held large amount of lands where other ethnic groups were majority.

I do see some similarities between Magyars and Serbs though. They are pretty interesting. Despite Hungary is central European and Serbia Balkanic.

Hungarians are kind of cenral European version of Serbs in a way. They are notably warmer, friendlier and more temperamental than other central Euros and I find Magyar men surprisingly confident and macho (Serbs have similar reputation).

Both countries have a certain bad boy image and kitschy grandeur and imperialistic mindset, as well as being quzite agressively nationalistic.

Both eat very well. Both are way more nationalistic than traditional or religious. Both are bit sexually "loose". Both capitals have amazing nightlife. Both have that Gypsy flair in musical influences.

There is a difference though, with Hungarians having other, gloomy and fatalistic side and Serbs being lot more extravert and practial, but overall, quite an interesting and under the radar connection.
    Historical Macedonia except Thesaloniki and surrounding area was part of Serbia before Ottoman conquest, southern part about 40-50 years and northern part 110 years. In 1912. Serbia defeated Ottomams in several battles and liberated today's North Macedonia after over 500 years of Ottoman rule. It was internationally recognized part of Serbia, and in 1914. when A-H attacked Serbia border between Serbia and Greece was on the peak Kajmakčalan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kajmakčalan
    In 1918. when kingdom of Slovenes, Croatians and Serbs was formed present day North Macedonia was also integral part of Serbia.

Serbs lost Montenegro which is Serbian since early middle age. In Montenegro in Ottoman period Serbian identity was stronger than in Serbia. In Montenegro declared Serbs + crypto Serbs are more numerous than Montenegrins, but it's separate state from Serbia.
    Some parts of federation of BiH and even Croatia were part of medieval Serbia.
    Last edited by Varda; 04-07-2023 at 11:15 PM.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:58 PM
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    Region
    Zagreb
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 297
    Given: 214

1 Not allowed!

Croatia and Slovakia.

Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Barbarian
    Ancestry
    Uralo-German
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,157
    Given: 9,790

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    Economically it's interesting question, overall probably closest to Croatia and Romania but I'm not sure, input from Hungarian members would be interesting.
    Hungary has the most serious economic crisis and inflation in the complete EU. The prices of food and everything have almost doubled over the last year. Tens of thousand hungarian have lost their homes and became homeless. In Budapest i see 20-30 years old guys to sleep on the street on bench, well dressed peoples are rummaging through the dumpster, many of them elder or young, and these are not gypsies. The number of robberies and shoplifting is skyrocketed. I have seen shoplifting two times in the last 4-5 months when the security guard caught them. Shocking, i did not see such things before. Hungary has changed a lot in the last 1 year.
    And this is just Budapest, i dont want to imagine what happens in poorer regions like Borsod. Obviously they live like these survivors from Last Of Us.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:58 PM
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    Region
    Zagreb
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 297
    Given: 214

0 Not allowed!

Interesting, I was in Budapest a year ago and I saw a very nice and wealthy city, with strong middle and upper class. I noticed only one drunked homeless and a few Gypsies around the station.

What are the reasons of a such decline?

Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Barbarian
    Ancestry
    Uralo-German
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,157
    Given: 9,790

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jankec View Post
    Interesting, I was in Budapest a year ago and I saw a very nice and wealthy city, with strong middle and upper class. I noticed only one drunked homeless and a few Gypsies around the station.

What are the reasons of a such decline?
    Yes everything was fine 1 years ago, but im sure you have visited only the tourist places, not the suburbs.

The main factor is the stupid sanctions and lack of EU money. The minor factor is Matolcsy's bad economy policy that caused this such a high level of inflation.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,625

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    Hungary has the most serious economic crisis and inflation in the complete EU. The prices of food and everything have almost doubled over the last year. Tens of thousand hungarian have lost their homes and became homeless. In Budapest i see 20-30 years old guys to sleep on the street on bench, well dressed peoples are rummaging through the dumpster, many of them elder or young, and these are not gypsies. The number of robberies and shoplifting is skyrocketed. I have seen shoplifting two times in the last 4-5 months when the security guard caught them. Shocking, i did not see such things before. Hungary has changed a lot in the last 1 year.
    And this is just Budapest, i dont want to imagine what happens in poorer regions like Borsod. Obviously they live like these survivors from Last Of Us.
    I'm sorry to hear that Been last time a year ago and already noticed economic decline. Hope it gets better soon.

Last Online
    Today @ 07:04 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mostly Euro Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Ancestry
    Mostly Spanish, some Italian, some Amerindian (6-7%), some minor SSA (4-5%)
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    J-M267
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Either Alpinized North Atlantid or Brunn
    Politics
    Right Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,473
    Given: 36,877

1 Not allowed!

Serbia, Romania, and maybe Slovakia.
    My Updated 23andme Results (2021)
    My Updated AncestryDNA Results (2022)
    My Global25 Coordinates (2020)
    An Epic Thread about me opened by Profield
    Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering
    Quote Originally Posted by aherne
    You don't pass in Europe. Amerindian admixture is evident (castizo or harnizo)...

Last Online
    Today @ 03:04 AM
    Ethnicity
    Cro
    Country
    Croatia
    Region
    Slavonija-Baranya
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 910
    Given: 710

1 Not allowed!