Politics
    Ugly history as it is. Don't blame me.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,437
    Given: 1,436

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemminkäinen View Post
    ugochaves, I sent you pm.
    The origin of Karelians is described in Finnish Wikipedia as below. It speaks about people, not language. The Karelian language evolved in figured area later a nd diverged from the Northern Baltic-Finnic. There is unnecessary discredity in the text. The area where the Finns arrived was already populated by language related people.

Text begins, translated by Google:

The Karelians formed their own tribe during the Viking Age in the 7th–8th centuries. At that time, settlers of Finnish origin (in Finnish text not "of Finnish origin", but "related to Finnish,
    meaning language related people) arrived in the area from two directions: some came along waterways from the direction of the Volga, and some came from western Finland. The Karjalians, i.e. the inhabitants of the Korela (Käkisalmi) region, are mentioned as a separate group for the first time in 1143, although Scandinavian sagas already mention the place names Kirjalabotn (Karjalanpohja) and Kirjalaland.[2] Even at that time, the Karelians did not form a unified nation or state, but lived as relatively separate units, e.g. on the Karelia Peninsula, the Vyipuri Bay area, and on the west and north shores of Laatoka.[3] In these areas, the so-called ancient Karelian language took shape, whose speakers moved to the end of the Iron Age and in the Middle Ages also to the shores of Savo, Viena and even to Northern Ostrobothnia. source?

Karelia came under the power of Novgorod in the 13th century, when it formed an area controlled by Käkisalmi (Korela). Karelia is mentioned for the first time as a Novgorod volost, or administrative area, in 1270. Sweden gained a foothold on the Karelian peninsula in 1293 by conquering Vyborg, which served as a Karelia trading post.[4] In the peace of Pähkinäsaari in 1323, Novgorod ceded Äyräpää, Jääske and Savilahti to Sweden. source?

https://fi.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karjalaiset
    Last edited by Lemminkäinen; 04-09-2023 at 07:56 PM.

Last Online
    02-22-2024 @ 04:27 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Uralic-Altaic
    Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Country
    Antarctica
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Religion
    Axis Mundi
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,240
    Given: 1,587

0 Not allowed!

Now having found a long lost relative - had to laugh at this:

That was the old way and I loved it.

Once we would start talking about our prophetic dreams, omens and indications, the energetic doubles, animal spirit helpers, trances and ghost stories, there would be no end to it – heh.
    There the psycho-spiritual boundary between the old Karelians and the Saami becomes a blur, because we both saw/see reality in a shamanic way - multidimensionally.
    But among Finns, there was fear and a strict code of silence not to talk about any of this stuff.
    My “Westie” grandfather could not relate at all until the very end of his life.
    But sorry, this is all off topic and another story.

Last Online
    02-22-2024 @ 04:27 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Uralic-Altaic
    Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Country
    Antarctica
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Religion
    Axis Mundi
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,240
    Given: 1,587

0 Not allowed!

In summary:
    Whilst I am not a political person, then why do I support the NATO alliance …

I find all these pro-Putin propagandists quite similar to those relatives who were commies, who bright eyed and bushy tailed left for Russia to build Utopia, a new society, a Paradise on Earth – who in the end were taken to Gulags, declared as the enemy of state and executed by the Stalin’s regime. I only knew of one uncle who escaped.

There were a lot of people who believed in the Orthodox brotherhood, who went to Tver. Out of a huge number, only a handful (so to speak) are left, So, what happened to them? A lot of the old believers were executed first and then during Stalin era a huge number of them. Maybe that is also why I cannot find any dna-relatives from there.

Even though there was this silent agreement, this code of silence about our culture, when we evacuated to Finland, still, that was a small price to pay in comparison.
    Last edited by Aila; 04-11-2023 at 08:28 AM.

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142

Thread Information