None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,589
    Given: 462

1 Not allowed!

Default VPN Users in the US Risk 20-Year Jail Sentences

https://beincrypto.com/vpn-users-ris...-restrict-act/

In Brief

The 'TikTok Ban Bill' targets more than just social media.

The state would be able to police all communication platforms.

VPNs would be included with violators facing up to $1M in fines.

A bill dubbed the ‘RESTRICT’ act that was submitted to Congress could have severe consequences for virtual private network (VPN) users in the United States.

U.S. lawmakers are widening their sights when it comes to cracking down on finance and technology.

The bipartisan “Restricting the Emergence of Security Threats that Risk Information and Communications Technology (RESTRICT)” act was unveiled in early March.

It was initially dubbed the “TikTok Ban Bill,” but has far wider ramifications. Furthermore, VPN users could face hefty fines or jail sentences under the bill.

Communications and VPN Tech Targeted

People often legitimately use VPN (virtual private network) services to add an extra layer of security for web communications. Furthermore, they allow users to mask or change their internet address. This is often required to access content that may otherwise be blocked or censored.

The bill, if passed, would attempt to identify “information and communications technology products and services holdings that pose undue or unacceptable risks.”

This could include VPNs if they are used to access banned websites such as TikTok.

The bill specifically directs the Secretary of Commerce to “identify, deter, disrupt, prevent, prohibit, investigate, or otherwise mitigate” national security risks associated with technology linked to countries adversarial to the U.S.

The bill also has a long list of communications technologies it intends to scrutinize. These include web hosting, cloud services, content delivery services, drones, payment applications, gaming applications, artificial intelligence, and e-commerce.

The scary part is the potential punishment for violators. This includes fines of up to a million dollars or 20 years in jail, or both.

Moving Forward With TikTok Ban

According to reports on March 27, lawmakers are moving forward with the bill. This follows the grilling of TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew last week. The Chinese social media platform has an estimated 150 million users in the United States.

House of Representatives speaker Kevin McCarthy said that the House would be moving forward with the bill.

If passed, the new legislation will grant the U.S. government sweeping powers to crack down on any technologies and services it sees as a threat. Remarkably, that includes VPN technology.

Those opposing the bill say it will give the state the power to police the entire internet and any platforms on it. Furthermore, some referred to it as the “Chinafication of America.”

The legislation is frighteningly similar to that in China, which has some of the world’s harshest internet censorship.

Last Online
    04-23-2024 @ 07:17 PM
    Ethnicity
    European origin American
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    anti-marxist, antimanelist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 535
    Given: 334

0 Not allowed!

They say the VPN ban and penalties are aimed solely at companies tied to security breaches caused by adversarial states like Russia and China (companies like Kasperky, Huawei etc), and they're not going to target individuals who want to protect their privacy.

At the moment, I'm skeptical of both sides. I can see the reasoning behind adding this to the law, but at the same I also want to see clear provisions in the law that prevent abuses against individuals.
    I guess, we'll have to see the law.

Ein einzelner Gefangener.. Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Horse-Human of Wyoming
    Ethnicity
    Hillbilly
    Country
    Germany
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106/R-Z156
    mtDNA
    U5b2
    Taxonomy
    Country Boy
    Politics
    Zeitzeuge einer Zeitenwende
    Hero
    Klaus Störtebeker, Kurt Knispel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,427
    Given: 5,274

1 Not allowed!

Exactly what I`m saying the whole time. Nothing good ever comes out of a ban, even if it is initially targeted at something nasty.
    Runen raunen rechten Rat, über eiserne Felder nun zur Tat!

I have mastered chakra and can also do romjutsu
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 09:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,169
    Given: 58,941

0 Not allowed!

I like tiktok I hope Austria wont bann tiktok but the west and american allies do the same as eatch other so if the US banns tiktok Germany will too and Austria
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]
    "For wise and good men always feel disinclined to hurt those that are of much less strength than themselves"
    "Truth and Virtue do not necessarily belong to wealth and Power and distinctions of big mansions"
    "To abuse and insult, is inconsistent with reason and justice"
    - The Prophet of Indian Nationalism Raja Ram Mohan Roy

Thread Information