Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hangul or Cyrillic: which alphabet is harder?

Last Online
    04-24-2024 @ 07:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 85

0 Not allowed!

Easy if you know Latin script. It´s very similar.

Last Online
    04-24-2024 @ 07:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 85

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by noricum View Post
    I think I did the basics of Cyrillic alphabet in an afternoon at age 12, then it took practice - and till does.
    Hangul must be way harder.
    I have heard it´s very easy but I never tried it myself.

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:20 AM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,561
    Given: 27,897

1 Not allowed!

I'm currently learning the Cyrillic alphabet.

I study one letter from the Russian alphabet each day, and one Russian word each day, writing it down numerous times, sticking it on notes near my desk, listening to the way it's pronounced many times, as it's fun, fascinating, very interesting, good exercise for the brain, and I enjoy it. (I also enjoy looking at Dutch words too - although the Dutch language uses the Latin (Roman) alphabet and is similar to German and English.)

I'm able to write my name in Russian and I can recognise certain letters (not the full alphabet yet, although I keep looking at and listening to videos of the entire Russian alphabet, and also looking at the handwritten cursive form, lower and upper cases, and the printed form,) and I can pronounce a few Russian words when written in Cyrillic and understand their meanings.

Eg; I saw some photos on social media showing some Ukrainian graffiti on a vehicle (only two short words,) and I was able to read and understand what the Cyrillic letters meant, and also I was watching a video clip of President Putin recently giving a speech to an audience, and in the background on the blue screen behind him, I was able to automatically read, pronounce, and understand the Cyrillic letters of four words on the screen (without looking it up,) stating that it was a Russian-Chinese Business Forum.

What I love about the Russian language is that nearly all the words are spelt exactly as they're pronounced and vice versa, unlike in English. So once people learn and memorise the Russian Cyrillic alphabet, they can pronounce the words. One Russian letter is used for each sound, unlike in English where multiple letters are required to make one sound.

The gender rules are also easier to recognise in Russian (unlike in French where you have to memorise which words are masculine or feminine,) due to the last letter on the ends of Russian words indicating the gender in many cases. I read on a Russian language learning site that they also have a more simplified way of speaking than the more complex sentence constructions in English.

I don't know anything about Hangul, so I can't comment on that.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 06-22-2023 at 10:17 AM.
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Last Online
    11-16-2023 @ 08:22 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Country
    Croatia
    Region
    Dalmatia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,371
    Given: 558

1 Not allowed!

I am really sad that glagolithic script died off, it was an official script along with latin in Croatia until 19th century, and main script until 16th.

I think it looks awsome

Last Online
    08-28-2023 @ 11:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    russian
    Country
    Russia
    Region
    Moscow
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    Hero
    Jorge Vilda
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,690
    Given: 2,160

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ Lily ♥ View Post

I study one letter from the Russian alphabet each day, and one Russian word each day, writing it down numerous times, sticking it on notes near my desk, listening to the way it's pronounced many times, as it's fun, fascinating, very interesting, good exercise for the brain, and I enjoy it. (I also enjoy looking at Dutch words too - although the Dutch language uses the Latin (Roman) alphabet and is similar to German and English.)

I'm able to write my name in Russian and I can recognise certain letters (not the full alphabet yet, although I keep looking at the Russian alphabet, both the handwritten cursive form, lower and upper cases, and the printed form,) and I can pronounce a few Russian words when written in Cyrillic and understand their meanings.

Eg; I saw some photos on social media showing some Ukrainian graffiti on a vehicle (only two short words,) and I was able to read and understand what the Cyrillic letters meant, and also I was watching a video clip of President Putin recently giving a speech to an audience, and in the background on the blue screen behind him, I was able to automatically read, pronounce, and understand the Cyrillic letters of four words on the screen (without looking it up,) stating that it was a Russian-Chinese Business Forum.

What I love about the Russian language is that nearly all the words are spelt as they're pronounced and vice versa, unlike in English. So once people learn the Russian alphabet, they can pronounce the words. One Russian letter is used for each sound, unlike in English where multiple letters are required to make one sound.

The gender rules are also easier to recognise in Russian (unlike in French where you have to memorise which words are masculine or feminine,) due to the last letter on the ends of Russian words indicating the gender in many cases. I read on a Russian language learning site that they also have a more simplified way of speaking than the more complex sentence constructions in English.

Are you studying Russian or only Slavic letters? Perhaps I am mistaken, it is very difficult for me, as a Russian-speaking person, to understand English, it seems too simple to fully express the depth of thought, and at the same time very difficult. I understand German much better, it is as flexible as Russian... but English is another planet for me. I wonder if the translation of my words is clear to you?
    Усе буде добре!

Last Online
    08-28-2023 @ 11:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    russian
    Country
    Russia
    Region
    Moscow
    Y-DNA
    R1a
    Hero
    Jorge Vilda
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,690
    Given: 2,160

0 Not allowed!

I also understand English better here from German and Slavic users. I understand native English speakers and Finnish people very poorly.
    Усе буде добре!

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:20 AM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,561
    Given: 27,897

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ugochaves View Post
    Are you studying Russian or only Slavic letters? Perhaps I am mistaken, it is very difficult for me, as a Russian-speaking person, to understand English, it seems too simple to fully express the depth of thought, and at the same time very difficult. I understand German much better, it is as flexible as Russian... but English is another planet for me. I wonder if the translation of my words is clear to you?
    I'm studying Russian.

I can understand your English very well.
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

Last Online
    02-11-2024 @ 09:00 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-Aryan
    Ethnicity
    Bangladeshi Bengali
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 24

1 Not allowed!

from what I heard the Korean alphabet is very easy to learn, I don't know how true that is though

Aging Tom Cat Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iberian, Celtic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    caucasian
    Ancestry
    Northern England, SE Ireland, Northern Ireland, Castilla Spain
    Country
    England
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27 (R1b1a2a1a2a) R-Y3267
    mtDNA
    H6A1B
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,005
    Given: 10,579

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ Lily ♥ View Post

I'm able to write my name in Russian and I can recognise certain letters (not the full alphabet yet, although I keep looking at and listening to videos of the entire Russian alphabet, and also looking at the handwritten cursive form, lower and upper cases, and the printed form,) and I can pronounce a few Russian words when written in Cyrillic and understand their meanings.

What I love about the Russian language is that nearly all the words are spelt exactly as they're pronounced and vice versa, unlike in English. So once people learn and memorise the Russian Cyrillic alphabet, they can pronounce the words. One Russian letter is used for each sound, unlike in English where multiple letters are required to make one sound.

I studied Ancient Greek in school. The Cyrillic alphabet is based on the Greek one

Last Online
    04-26-2024 @ 06:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic, Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    EstoRian
    Ancestry
    Russia, East Ukraine, Adyghea
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Truly sovereign states
    Religion
    Humanism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,643
    Given: 5,916

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ugochaves View Post
    I also understand English better here from German and Slavic users. I understand native English speakers and Finnish people very poorly.
    Russian and Slavic speakers understand each other's English better because they partly carry over grammatical constructions of their languages in their English.
    Also if a Russophone makes a mistake another Russophone is likely to understand the meaning anyway because he understands the pattern of how mistakes appear.

And Finnish is probably very different grammatically hence the English of Finnophones is harder to understand.

The English of native English speakers is additionally harder for us to understand because some of them don't simplify it as many non native speakers do. And of course the usage of idioms add to the difficulty.
    Do what you should.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information