Thread: My AncestryDNA Results

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    British/Irish/French Canadian/Ukrainian
    Ancestry
    About 1/2 British/Irish/Scottish, 1/4 French Canadian, and 1/4 Ukrainian (SW Ukraine) + a few other
    Country
    Canada
    mtDNA
    T2a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,400
    Given: 12,876

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rędwald View Post
    Nice results calxpal, what do you think about the reference populations for Irish/Scottish? It seems to be that they're easily mixed up, do you think it's possible that this is the case here for you? I know I've had variable results from my own ancestry. Currently, my ancestry has me at 1/4 Scottish, which is fairly consistent with my known ancestry. Also despite the fact that 23andMe still calls the group 'British & Irish' yet I don't score any of the genetic groups aside from Belfast which is Northern Ireland.
    Thanks! And hmm well I think it is quite risky that Ancestry even tries to differentiate them at all to be honest lol. I mean I suppose due to similarities I'm not terribly surprised that there appears to be some mix-up between the two, I would expect it to some extent, but I do think they could do a little bit better telling them apart. So yes. It seems like Scotland is very often overestimated (but not always) and even pops up in people as far as Eastern Europe in trace amounts. I know that Ancestry does say a lot of these components are found in many areas though.

And huh that is weird with 23andme, the 23andme recent ancestor locations are more accurate than the genetic groups for me, although my mom's genetic groups are quite accurate but me and my sisters are variable. What recent ancestor locations/genetic communities do you get on 23andme and Ancestry?
    =(^.^)=

Also I don't do classifications currently, sorry.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    North-West European, minor North-Amerindian
    Ancestry
    British Isles (77%) Scandinavia (10%) France (9%) North-Amerindian (4%)
    Country
    Canada
    Y-DNA
    I-L233
    mtDNA
    X2b4
    Taxonomy
    Keltic Nordid / Atlantid
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    North-Sea Aesthetic
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,463
    Given: 15,607

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by calxpal View Post
    Thanks! And hmm well I think it is quite risky that Ancestry even tries to differentiate them at all to be honest lol. I mean I suppose due to similarities I'm not terribly surprised that there appears to be some mix-up between the two, I would expect it to some extent, but I do think they could do a little bit better telling them apart. So yes. It seems like Scotland is very often overestimated (but not always) and even pops up in people as far as Eastern Europe in trace amounts. I know that Ancestry does say a lot of these components are found in many areas though.

And huh that is weird with 23andme, the 23andme recent ancestor locations are more accurate than the genetic groups for me, although my mom's genetic groups are quite accurate but me and my sisters are variable. What recent ancestor locations/genetic communities do you get on 23andme and Ancestry?

Anglo Saxon + Frank (4.336)
    Viking Danish + Frank (4.338)
    Gael + Frank (4.39)
    Anglo Saxon (4.393)
    Viking Danish + Anglo Saxon (4.568)

Banned
    Last Online
    08-07-2023 @ 11:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Chidingfold Surrey
    Country
    England
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid+Angle-Saxon
    Politics
    Tory
    Hero
    Queen Elizabeth I (the golden age)
    Religion
    Anglican
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 154

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nittionia View Post
    It was pretty insignificant :/ My Swedish/Danish category went up in exchange for slightly lower Norwegian. Finnish went up slightly.. I was hoping that they would have figured out the Germanic Europe issue, but they haven't.
    I don't trust ancestrydna or 23andme nor livingdna etc... as these things are cynically market to amerimutts. I trust things I can use with my raw dna that is blinded , kind of like the concepts of double blind and triple blind studies.

Both these two these tools place me in England without a company knowing who I am thus cynically lying to me :

https://www.exploreyourdna.com/k36_gps.aspx

https://github.com/wenyun/spa

^ The latter is too geeky for 99.9% of people, though, but places me in Southern England.

King of Swords Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    my own tribe
    Ethnicity
    entheos
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a1a
    Politics
    NWO Masonic Luciferianism
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,385
    Given: 31,174

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rędwald View Post

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,566
    Given: 29,023

1 Not allowed!

I would like to mention that I want to give a reminder that these results are estimates and that AncestryDNA is not necessarily better than all the other tests. I feel like I shouldn't even have to post this but I've had problems recently with people accusing me of lying about my background or hating my Ancestry results because I don't believe they are as accurate as they could be. These results do NOT necessarily mean I don't have Irish Ancestry or that my French Canadian grandfather must not be fully French Canadian. Please do not take these results wwwaayyy to literally.

Like sorry but other people do not know my background better than I do based on ethnicity estimates. I do not have recent Scandinavian ancestry based on these results I know this from my tree and I definitely do have an Irish great grandparent plus other Irish great-great+ grandparents in my tree despite what the results say. And the lack of genetic groups do not discount the fact that I have somewhat recent European ancestry.

This comment is just in general, not directed at anyone specific lol.

Of course I know that multiple factors contribute to this like reference populations, random inheritance, algorithms, and others. And 23andme has It's own flaws as well.

I imagine no ones going to reply to this lol but I just have been frustrated with discussing these results with some people recently.

I did want to say though it seems like a 2023 update is in the works some people have been able to hack their results to 2023 now!
    Yes definitely. Results from tests are not 100% and a verified paper trail is more important. Your results will change when Ancestry does their next update.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,566
    Given: 29,023

2 Not allowed!

I have my daughter's results who is only Irish and she gets 24% Scotland in her Ancestry result.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    About 1/2 British/Irish/Scottish, 1/4 French Canadian, and 1/4 Ukrainian (SW Ukraine) + a few other
    Country
    Canada
    mtDNA
    T2a
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    I have my daughter's results who is only Irish and she gets 24% Scotland in her Ancestry result.
    Interesting, and a bit funny I guess lol.
    =(^.^)=

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Canada
    mtDNA
    T2a
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I've decided to upload ranges for interest! I've heard people discussing these and I'm curious about them as well too, although tbh they make me more confused about their methodology.

Insights are welcome ofc =) I am open to different perspectives.

Some thoughts:

I find it slightly amusing that Scotland is assigned at the highest amount but not any other groups, even though the lower end of the Scotland range is way more genealogically accurate for me.

Eastern Europe and Russia is around what I would expect, although I'm surprised it could be up to 35%.

The France range is interesting, I am happy they at least assigned France although I'm not sure how the range has 0% tbh with a French Canadian Grandparent that's impossible lol.

The England and Northwestern Europe % is around what I would expect but find the 0-35% interestingly large.

The Ireland range is not surprising, but the amount is still surprisingly low.

I'm a bit confused about the Sweden and Denmark showing up at all since I don't have recent ancestors from there, but it is probably acting as a proxy for something.

The Northern Italy range is very interesting as I am very surprised they would assign only 1% given a range of 0-9%, I'm a bit confused how it would get up to 9% though considering I don't have recent Italian ancestors I know of.

I also really wish they still included the trace results revealed by the hack as I think seeing the ranges for them would be interesting.

Also please no comments saying I don't know my ancestry or one of my grandparents isn't fully "X" or isn't "X" just because of these results......I don't have time for that bullshit. These tests aren't perfect, and 23andme isn't either, but I do think the results are somewhat good.

I am aware though that they often say some of these components are found in many places, and the maps are often quite broad for some categories. I am actually hoping more for new genetic groups than drastic percentage changes in the update.
    =(^.^)=

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Canada
    mtDNA
    T2a
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

If you aren't a subscriber to Ancestry makes sure you screenshot all your extra ethnicity features NOW including the parental inheritance, chromosome painting, match parental split, and others too because who knows what else they are going to paywall soon, these features are going to be paywalled to members only! I would also recommend saving the hack info as it seems likely they'll remove it once non-members lose access to the chromosome painting and inheritance. I'm so mad I spent the 100$ bucks on this test only to have them take away a bunch of originally advertised features. They aren't even really good enough to be behind a paywall lol and to lose basic features and functionality ugh! And before an update! Many non-US accounts seem to still have access to the features for now. I will not be recommending this test and I'm not sure if I even trust anything from them anymore tbh. I'm too mad to discuss AncestryDNA for now so I'm gonna close this thread for a bit, but I'll open it again in the future. If you're really curious about discussing this you can PM me.

I am well aware that no DNA company is perfect. I just found AncestryDNA's recent moves to be really shady. I am really concerned about what they will do next. I really hope they eventually work on fixing their website ugh. If you want to know more about what happened go to the AncestryDNA subreddit.

I am still hoping that the 2023 update brings some good despite all this.
    =(^.^)=

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Canada
    mtDNA
    T2a
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

I will reopen this since the update is coming, I will post my updated results when they come but I am still pretty mad at Ancestry so I am not super hyped. I am hoping that the accuracy at least moves in the right direction and that It's not a weak update. But I'm really hoping more for them to improve their Genetic Communities algorithm rather than the ethnicity update because it is absolutely ridiculous that they can't identify any recent European ancestry on the test when other platforms can considering the size of the database they have.
    =(^.^)=

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information