Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Why won't my talent ever be recognized?

Last Online
    02-22-2024 @ 04:27 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Uralic-Altaic
    Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Country
    Antarctica
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Religion
    Axis Mundi
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,239
    Given: 1,587

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BakersfieldChimp View Post
    This song made me think " Silver Wings" when I first heard it.
    But isn’t that image from Uluru, Ayers Rock, Central Australia
    I should know it since I lived and worked there & there you ride camels.
    https://mlaspvbhye9j.i.optimole.com/...here_uluru.jpg

Veteran Member BakersfieldChimp's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic Prussian
    Ethnicity
    Eastern European
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    Fritz Lang
    Religion
    wouldn't be the first time
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,846
    Given: 2,299

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-Celtic View Post
    I listen to both grandma music and kid music. I'm weird like that. You should see my playlists. It's like four generations made them. Things are different and weird now. I went to a store with my Zoomer cousin, and we browsed in the music section. I knew *current* alternative rock acts that he never heard of before! That would be like my dad mentioning Nirvana in the past and me replying "who are they?".
    Some young whipper snapper said he learned about The Dead Kennedys in History class.
    He meant John and Robert in the sixties.

Ice Guardian Occiput in Starlight's Avatar
    Last Online
    09-08-2023 @ 04:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    Orthodox Sorb
    Country
    Mongolia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,402
    Given: 1

1 Not allowed!

Grimes point about older folk only listening to music from their youth made me consider my music library in a more clinical fashion.

All my albums are restricted to the time period 1960 - 2000 (except for a few post 2000 metal albums).

The only other music in my library that is from after the year 2000 is rap singles (1990 - 2010) and a few pop and hip hop songs.

I have never been an enthusiastic enjoyer of contemporary music - even if in time I became an enthusiastic enjoyer of many formerly contemporary songs.

I am most stuck in 1960 - 2000 because as a kid I listened to music from that period (especially 1960 - 1990). Even though today rap moves me the most, music from the 70s and 80s was the most influential in the development of my taste.
    Everywhere across whatever sorrows of which our life is woven, some radiant joy will gaily flash past.

-Dave Semenko

Last Online
    Today @ 06:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    No idea
    Ethnicity
    Unknown British Isles, white
    Ancestry
    Scots, Irish, Welsh, French according to family history.
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    Nonreligious
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 270
    Given: 88

0 Not allowed!

If the world hasn’t accepted Meade’s music, it can’t be that it’s outdated or not amazing. No no, it’s the world that’s wrong.

Trapped In Clown World Anglo-Celtic's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:18 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Briton, Gaelic, Saxon, Varied
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, Scottish, Varied
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Hero
    Smedley Butler
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,976
    Given: 5,917

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BakersfieldChimp View Post
    Some young whipper snapper said he learned about The Dead Kennedys in History class.
    He meant John and Robert in the sixties.
    There was an '80s song about how the female singer was happy about not being in their clan. My family has their luck but none of their fame (it's claimed we're distantly related, which would make sense for that luck part).

Trapped In Clown World Anglo-Celtic's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:18 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Briton, Gaelic, Saxon, Varied
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, Scottish, Varied
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Hero
    Smedley Butler
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,976
    Given: 5,917

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jansob View Post
    If the world hasn’t accepted Meade’s music, it can’t be that it’s outdated or not amazing. No no, it’s the world that’s wrong.
    Maybe the world *is* wrong. Have you seen the world lately?

Last Online
    Today @ 04:31 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    British, French, Polish, German
    Ethnicity
    85% NW, 15% E, 100% European
    Ancestry
    Paradis, Bembenek Stewart, Traylor Traced to 720 BC
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    Possibly RM269 (R1b)
    mtDNA
    X2
    Taxonomy
    Atlandid, Dinarid
    Politics
    The Kingdom of God
    Hero
    The Son of God
    Religion
    The Way
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 494
    Given: 246

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Occiput in Starlight View Post
    Grimes point about older folk only listening to music from their youth made me consider my music library in a more clinical fashion.

All my albums are restricted to the time period 1960 - 2000 (except for a few post 2000 metal albums).

The only other music in my library that is from after the year 2000 is rap singles (1990 - 2010) and a few pop and hip hop songs.

I have never been an enthusiastic enjoyer of contemporary music - even if in time I became an enthusiastic enjoyer of many formerly contemporary songs.

I am most stuck in 1960 - 2000 because as a kid I listened to music from that period (especially 1960 - 1990). Even though today rap moves me the most, music from the 70s and 80s was the most influential in the development of my taste.
    Interesting discussion. I grew up on "classic hits of the 60s and 70s" because I was raised by boomers (even though I'm a zoomer) and just didn't know about current music till later on even though I had friends who apparently listened to it. I now listen to mostly folk and western. I think the folky vibe is what I liked about the hippie music all along. So it makes sense to me we can be raised with whatever music and grow up to listen to the music that best suits what we liked about what we were raised on.

Also, a lot of people like a plethora of genres, as I do, but I still think there is some sort of golden thread through all the songs one likes. For example, I like any song that I would describe as having a nice melody and/or rhythm and isn't "just noisy", many genres fit into that preference with certain songs, even metal, though that is rare. Punk as well as pop type stuff entices me sometimes, but always because of what I like about music in general, not exactly the overall genre.

Richmond, the best artists are not necessarily the most talented, but those who speak to the souls of the people. (Paraphrase of a quote I remember hearing long ago in relation to visual artists). Take that idea and use it if you can, even if only to reassure you that most souls nowadays will not vibe with your music, that is "why".
    "Virtue grows stronger at the wound"
    "There is safety in discrimination"
    "James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the 12 tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting." James 1:1

Ice Guardian Occiput in Starlight's Avatar
    Last Online
    09-08-2023 @ 04:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    Orthodox Sorb
    Country
    Mongolia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,402
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by White Swan View Post
    I still think there is some sort of golden thread through all the songs one likes.
    +1
    Everywhere across whatever sorrows of which our life is woven, some radiant joy will gaily flash past.

-Dave Semenko

Veteran Member BakersfieldChimp's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic Prussian
    Ethnicity
    Eastern European
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    Fritz Lang
    Religion
    wouldn't be the first time
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,846
    Given: 2,299

1 Not allowed!

Interesting discussion. I grew up on "classic hits of the 60s and 70s" because I was raised by boomers (even though I'm a zoomer) and just didn't know about current music till later on even though I had friends who apparently listened to it. I now listen to mostly folk and western. I think the folky vibe is what I liked about the hippie music all along. So it makes sense to me we can be raised with whatever music and grow up to listen to the music that best suits what we liked about what we were raised on.

Also, a lot of people like a plethora of genres, as I do, but I still think there is some sort of golden thread through all the songs one likes. For example, I like any song that I would describe as having a nice melody and/or rhythm and isn't "just noisy", many genres fit into that preference with certain songs, even metal, though that is rare. Punk as well as pop type stuff entices me sometimes, but always because of what I like about music in general, not exactly the overall genre.

Richmond, the best artists are not necessarily the most talented, but those who speak to the souls of the people. (Paraphrase of a quote I remember hearing long ago in relation to visual artists). Take that idea and use it if you can, even if only to reassure you that most souls nowadays will not vibe with your music, that is "why".
    I totally agree.

First off, there are some great songs out there I love from genres that I am normally indifferent to.

The other point is I too was raised by some boomers who are passionate about their genres and those genres became my genres. My father loves his classical even though my love of Bartok confuses him. My mom loves the singer/songwriter Folky, the more hippy flower power the better. And then I have an uncle who was an East Bay(of California) punk rocker during the late seventies to mid-eighties. I knew no better joy than being left alone with his record collection.

This thread made me realize something. I don't really know much about contemporary music over the past twenty years. There are songs and artists I hear on modern radio that I like. I recognize a voice without knowing the artist's name.

This is an example. A couple of years back, there was a song played on the radio that sampled some English Choral music. I recognized the sampled music but couldn't place it. I was thinking in terms of Elgar. A few months ago, watched a video of how Billie Eilish used a choral work by Holst in her song "Goldwing". I thought so that is what Billie Eilish sounds like. I have always liked her.

Ancient member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European descent
    Ancestry
    Father: Hungarian Mother: German + minor English
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    N1a
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,611
    Given: 25,031

0 Not allowed!

..but I still think there is some sort of golden thread through all the songs one likes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occiput in Starlight View Post
    +1
    +2

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread Information