Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How serious is product piracy in your country?

Last Online
    02-22-2024 @ 03:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    America Southern Cone
    Ancestry
    portuguese, italian, german
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Parana
    Politics
    One that works
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,779
    Given: 208

0 Not allowed!

In Brazil, companies with employees and a store that sell computers with Windows and Software pirated are fined.

Last Online
    02-22-2024 @ 03:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    America Southern Cone
    Ancestry
    portuguese, italian, german
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Parana
    Politics
    One that works
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,779
    Given: 208

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Östsvensk View Post

Including Windows with PCs is how Microsoft came to dominate the computer market. It began when they secured a deal with IBM to bundle computers with MS-DOS. It has been a tradition to bundle PCs with Microsoft's OS ever since.
    For the USA!

OEM computers started to be manufactured in ASIA in the late 1980's and probably used Windows. Another thing that made Windows more used and its office package.

Inactive
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 11:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,731
    Given: 5,555

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    Same in Hungary, almost everyone is a pirate
    If women love "bad guys", then do guys who pirate software have an increased popularity among women in Hungary compared to honest buyers?
    Nobody pays for Windows voluntarily here. Microsoft blackmails you into buying it by including it with the computer you are about to buy.
    In Russia, sales of already assembled PCs and laptops without a pre-installed operating system are also prohibited. But there are a certain number of buyers who do not need Windows / who do not want to pay for it, for such there is FreeDos as a stub, and a number of laptops are certified for Linux and have Ubuntu or smth else pre-installed.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,621

2 Not allowed!

everyone downloads torrents via pirate bay and watches illegal streams of PPV stuff like UFC, boxing or football games

before we'd buy pirate video games for Playstation and PC......I don't know anyone getting penalized. It's pretty risk free as of now
    Last edited by Jana; 06-13-2023 at 08:06 PM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    Finnmark
    Politics
    None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,589
    Given: 462

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by luc2112 View Post
    For the USA!

OEM computers started to be manufactured in ASIA in the late 1980's and probably used Windows. Another thing that made Windows more used and its office package.
    That Microsoft's operating system was 100% IBM compatible was basically the reason. Many IBM clones went under in the 1980's for failing to reach 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by KirillMazur View Post
    In Russia, sales of already assembled PCs and laptops without a pre-installed operating system are also prohibited. But there are a certain number of buyers who do not need Windows / who do not want to pay for it, for such there is FreeDos as a stub, and a number of laptops are certified for Linux and have Ubuntu or smth else pre-installed.
    Wow, I wouldn't imagine that it was prohibited to build a computer.

Basically the only way to buy a PC without Windows is to build your own. If you buy a brand name machine, it will come pre-installed with Windows (unless you buy a Mac or Chromebook).

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    everyone downloads torrents via pirate bay and watches illegal steams of PPV stuff like UFC, boxing or football games

before we'd buy pirate video games for Playstation and PC......I don't know anyone getting penalized. It's pretty risk free as of now
    The late 90's and early 00's was when gaming piracy peaked. Everyone had a modchipped PS1, but the real deal was when you got your hands on a modded Xbox and could put in a larger HDD and transfer the games onto the console from the computer. My friend had one and I think I do not exaggerate when I say that we in our spare time downloaded almost the whole game library. Oh, to be young again.

Inactive
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 11:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,731
    Given: 5,555

1 Not allowed!

Wow, I wouldn't imagine that it was prohibited to build a computer.

Basically the only way to buy a PC without Windows is to build your own. If you buy a brand name machine, it will come pre-installed with Windows (unless you buy a Mac or Chromebook).
    That's right, an already pre-built branded PC, server, laptop, router or smartphone is considered by law to be software and hardware complex and must contain (any) pre-installed operating system.
    When assembling from individual components, no one imposes an operating system.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    Finnmark
    Politics
    None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,589
    Given: 462

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by KirillMazur View Post
    That's right, an already pre-built branded PC, server, laptop, router or smartphone is considered by law to be software and hardware complex and must contain (any) pre-installed operating system.
    When assembling from individual components, no one imposes an operating system.
    Ah, I think I misunderstood what you said. I thought you meant that it was illegal to sell pre-built configurations (no brand). I mean, at a computer store where you pick out the parts yourself and then either you assemble it yourself or pay for their service to do it. If one buys such a computer, they can exclude a Windows license, and I think that is the only way if you want to run Linux (or pirate Windows) without paying Microsoft a dime.

I don't know if it is illegal to sell brand computers without an OS, but it is practically never done. No, you cannot go into an electronics chain store and buy a PC without Windows.

Last Online
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Exotic Med
    Ethnicity
    Racial Tragedy
    Country
    Peru
    Politics
    Xenelasia
    Religion
    Chinas con Culo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18,486
    Given: 13,199

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    everyone downloads torrents via pirate bay and watches illegal streams of PPV stuff like UFC, boxing or football games

Damn I forgot about Playstation, those were the wonder years... I basically played every PS game that's ever existed lol we even got pirated games that never reached the US.

culture vulture.
    Last Online
    04-24-2024 @ 12:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Replicant
    Ethnicity
    Swiss
    Country
    Switzerland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 756
    Given: 648

1 Not allowed!

While downloading video games or software is absolutely prohibited, downloading music and movies isn't penalised. Consumers aren't fined, only providers.

My French acquaintance received an email warning for downloading the movie, so perhaps the law is a bit more lenient here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information