Taxonomy
    Pontid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,452
    Given: 7,901

2 Not allowed!

Default Consequences of over-tourism in the Acropolis

Acropolis now: crisis as soaring visitor numbers overwhelm Greek treasure

It’s official: more than 25 centuries after it was built and nearly 200 years after it began attracting tourists, the Acropolis will adopt crowd control policies to ease the very modern plague of soaring visitor numbers.

Unprecedented queues at the foot of the site, a dramatic rise in sightseers since the Covid-19 pandemic and unruly scenes at the gateway to the sanctuary have spurred the Greek government to take action.

“Measures will be fully enforced by the end of the month,” the country’s cultural minister, Lina Mendoni, announced last week. “Visits in June and early July alone increased by 80% compared to 2019.”

A time-slot system, fast-lane entry points for organised tourist groups and electronic ticketing are among the steps officials say will help alleviate visitor congestion.

As the country’s most visited site, the Acropolis is said to draw more than 17,000 people daily – a reflection of the over-tourism that has affected Greece in recent years.

Once implemented it is hoped the policies will ease the problem of queues exacerbated by the arrival of gargantuan cruise ships decanting thousands of passengers at the Greek capital’s port of Piraeus. “In the past these cruise ships had the capacity to carry a few thousand, the population of a large village,” said Lysandros Tsilidis, president of the Federation of Hellenic Associations of Tourist and Travel Agencies, which has welcomed the measures. “Now the vessels are so big you’ve got the size of a small state on board and at least 30% of all of those passengers will have pre-purchased tickets to visit the Acropolis.”

At 72, Tsilidis has seen Greece transformed from a popular, if less well-known, Mediterranean destination in the 1970s to one of the planet’s three most visited countries in 2022.

“No one could possibly have imagined it,” he says. “Back then, Greece attracted 7 million tourists; now that number is more than 30 million, three times our population.”

From a little before 8am on Friday, tourist queues could be seen snaking down from the ticket booths outside the entranceway to the Acropolis to the great cobblestone boulevard that runs the width of the south side of the monument. By mid-morning those who had yet to make the climb up the hill to the Periclean treasure, and who had not come with hats and umbrellas, desperately sought respite from the searing sun under olive trees in the absence of any shade.

Tour guides increasingly have spoken of people fainting in the heat in an area where any intervention is controversial because of the sacred nature of the site.

“I have given instructions to find a way to be able to erect shades in places that are [not considered] sensitive,” said Mendoni, who spent much of her first week back in office – after her reappointment in the wake of general elections – witnessing the crowds at the Acropolis. “And at discreet points we’ll make sure there is water outside the site.”

A classical archaeologist by profession, Mendoni oversaw the installation of concrete pathways across parts of the rock on which the temples stand during her first term in the post. The walkways, created during the pandemic when the Parthenon was off limits, were criticised by some as a monstrosity.

Announcing the new visitor management plan, she raised the prospect of further interventions, saying congestion at the site could ultimately only be solved if the Acropolis’s majestic gateway was enlarged. “In antiquity there was more than one entrance [to the temples],” she said. “In my view the solution to … the bottleneck [of visitors at the entrance] would be the expansion of the Propylaia [gateway]. We can’t demolish the Propylaia but we can widen it.”

On Friday, Manolis Korres, the architect who heads the Committee for the Conservation of the Acropolis Monuments, told the Observer that he believed the works would take no longer than 10 months if a “well-prepared schedule” was adhered to.

“I have proposed the reinstatement of the Roman staircase in the area many times and never because I want to facilitate the number of visitors,” said the professor, whose detailed studies would see the monumental entrance enlarged and overhauled to much of its original form.
    The ascent up to the treasures – a gruelling climb in the summer – would also be easier as the incline “would be eight times wider”, said Korres, regarded as the Acropolis’s leading authority.

The spectre of further alterations to the monument is unlikely to pass lightly amid protests that changes – including the introduction of an illuminated, ultra-modern lift - have pandered more to mass tourism than saving the country’s premier site.

Mendoni disagrees. “If we hadn’t made the corridors,” she said, referring to the concrete pathways last week, “the Acropolis would today be an almost impossible monument to visit.”
    “Even if there were 10 visitors a day to the Acropolis I believe it should be restored because it would add to a better understanding of the site.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...thens-controls

Also, something that needs to be added: even today, where temperatures are expected to reach 42 degrees Celsius, the archaeological site is going to close only for three hours in the noon. And today one lady collapsed in situ because of the heat.
    "Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not"
    - Επίκουρος

Bloodline of 5/42 Evzone Regiment
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Byzantine Rumelia
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Politics
    Christian Theocratic
    Hero
    Christian Emperors
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,927
    Given: 4,822

0 Not allowed!

I have always said that all foreigners including tourists should be banned from entering the country a nation to serve others like slaves as an industry is straight up disgusting... there are far too many half breeds that are becoming famous in the leftists scene due to breeding with western europeans and must stop immediately.
    “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Eph. 6:12

Definition of untrustworthy and loose character are those that don't believe in God.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-25-2024 @ 07:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Southerner
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    Russian, Ukrainian, Greek, Vlach
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Monarchism
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,238
    Given: 7,503

1 Not allowed!

Mass tourism is gay in all aspects. Ukraine is a capital of sex tourism including underage one, even now during the war. War does not stop perverts and molesters to come there without any consequeneces as laws don't function and foreigners are seen like gods by white niggas. It's very cheap, too and much closer than some Asian brothel countries.

Last Online
    04-03-2024 @ 02:51 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Hellen-Epirus
    Ancestry
    Hellenic
    Country
    Greece
    Hero
    Pletho Gemistus.
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 482
    Given: 450

1 Not allowed!

As a certified musium and archeological area's guard, i can verify over-visiting of Acropolis is a real problem, for all parts, both the visitors, guards ,tour guides,and working personel in general but also for the monuments themselvs.

The only ones who profit from this situation are the pickpocketers, and the criminals.

I can guarantee that working as guard in places like the Acropolis of Athens is a real hell, id rather be unemployed in oaed, than work again in an place like this.

I am against though the narative and the blind criticsism of the added facilities in the Acropolis like the recent so called ''tsimedoma'' of the walk, around the Parthenon,for the simple truth that there was no way in the previous contition for a wheelchair to make the round of the archeological sight, and was much tougher for the working personel in the sight, so i am against the blind critisism of this intervention just for political speculation. In my opinion the correct formula lies between balance of trying to maintain the monuments and to make the accesibility easier, and taking under considaration the specialities of this holy place.
    So in conclusion ballance considering everything and balance above everything should be the strategy for the imprevement of conditions, as the Ancient people of Athens and Greeks in general had as a rite.
    Last edited by Anaximander; 07-18-2023 at 12:34 PM.

Last Online
    02-04-2024 @ 06:08 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ulster Scot/Welsh/German
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Tennessee
    Hero
    Andy Jackson
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 240

0 Not allowed!

It would probably help if they would require reservations and entry fees. A lot of people to cheap and lazy to that. And I hope for your sake it isn't Chinese causing the increase because they come in hordes, very rude and litter. They almost ruined my visit to a couple National Parks.

Last Online
    Today @ 03:17 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Exotic Med
    Ethnicity
    Racial Tragedy
    Country
    Peru
    Politics
    Xenelasia
    Religion
    Chinas con Culo