Thread: Impressions from Constantinople (now Istanbul)

Last Online
    04-23-2024 @ 07:23 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Digital Don Quixote
    Ethnicity
    Forums
    Ancestry
    Hellenic, Balkan, Latin, Anatolian, Druide
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Athens
    Taxonomy
    Anatolian Lappid
    Hero
    Justinian, Constantine, Augustus, Charlemagne, Aurelian, Alexander
    Religion
    Uralische beauties, Viktor Orban
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,627
    Given: 10,176

13 Not allowed!

Default Impressions from Constantinople (now Istanbul)

I visited the city ~2 months ago, traveling by bus, and stayed in Fatih close to the historical area.

Entering the city

Entering the city from Thrace you will often see tall skyscrapers alongside huge roads which felt like a modern industrial city.
    Very different from Athens (that has a height limit due to Parthenon) and every other Greek city. Considering the weather, London came to mind.

Next station was Otogar, a pretty big bus station.
    Nothing extremely interesting but it was pretty epic to see that even the station hosted a bazaar.

Fatih

The old city of Fatih was something special to see, this is where most monuments (Hagia Sophia, Topkapi, Hippodrome, etc are located). Walking on stone roads, circled by medieval walls, random medieval fountains in each corner, mini-markets housed in well-maintained medieval buildings, and of course a bazaar in every second corner.

There were barriers in order to enter the historical buildings and police dedicated to Tourists, there were also many bins for trash for the area to be kept clean.

Hagia Sophia

Hagia Sophia stood tall, somewhat butthurt that the non-Islamic friendly mosaics were covered but the building by itself was something special to see.
    There was an inspection for weapons before entering.

A cool thing to see was that they were sharing free books inside, pro-muslim books ofc but a free book can never be anti-intellectual.

Topkapi Palace

Topkapi is a huge building where the Byzantine Acropolis and the palace of the Ottoman Empire once stood.
    Grand and well-maintained and full of historical relics.

I just have my doubts that this is actually Moesis's stick.

And these are the bones of John the Baptist.

Next to Topkapi, you find a big public garden which is pretty lit to walk.

Facing Topkapi you also see the church of Hagia Irene, unfortunately not as well maintained and empty but it has its own antique vibe.

Other sights

Another interesting thing to see is the Basilica Cistern, a big antique Byzantine underground water reservoir.
    It hides some ancient architecture, the Turks have added to this some led lights and modern art. Overall not a bad combination but it made it feel like some underground club sometimes.

Facing Hagia Sophia was the Sultanahmet Cami (Blue Mosque) with pretty similar architecture and interesting colors, cool to look at it at night.

Grand Bazaar

Walking North and coming across multiple smaller bazaars, you end up in Grand Bazaar.
    Huge building with a lot of diverse markets aiming to show the vibe of a medieval bazaar. Cool to walk inside and made some deals but overall overpriced due to its fame.

Impressive to see that outside the "medieval" Bazaar, there was an office to exchange cryptos.

Spice "Egyptian" Bazaar was pretty much similar but smaller in size.

Fener and Ballat

Fener was the traditional Greek neighborhood where the Ecumenical Patriarchate is located, it used to be a rich neighborhood but nowadays it is somewhat degraded. You can still see the old colorful buildings nevertheless. Balat was the Jewish neighborhood next to Fener bearing the same vibes. The bazaar continues here with a less commercial vibe than the old city, many cool small cafes around the area. The was also weapon inspection before entering the Patriarchate, cool to see that the police give a fuck for us too.

Patriarchate

Streets of Fener

Bulgarian church of Saint Stephen around the area.

In a Ballat cafe, the owner treated me to his home delicacies which seemed very strange for a Jewish neighborhood. I made a DNA test afterward and I'm still not a serpent jkjk.

Old Byzantine walls

North of Ballat you can see the older Byzantine walls where the fall of Constantinople happened and the Palace of the Porphyrogenitus is now a museum (unfortunately I didn't manage to visit it). I managed however to climb the wall and see the old gates. The guy from the Patriarchate warned me that a lot of refugees with high criminality are hosted there which was true but nevertheless it was my duty to visit.

Top of the wall

Antique cars inside antique walls

Galata

Walking the Galata bridge you would see Turks fishing and multiple fish taverns (I don't know what they are fishing since I was mostly seeing jellyfish but anyways), you will also get good view of the Yeni Cami before getting to the Galata tower. I didn't enter to see the museum from inside since it was crowded af but it was a tall tower.

Here the bazaar continues with more modern vibes (urban art versus the spices you would see in Fatih).

Taksim square

Welcome to Athens, here the vibe is more similar to Athens (especially Syntagma square, Thiseio, Ermou).
    The Bazaar stops and its place takes bigger modern shops, a big square (3 time the size of Syntagma) with small taverns, and franchise fast food.

Princes’ Islands

Finally, I took a cruise to Princes' islands where Ottoman and Byzantine nobles used to be exiled. Nowdays a modern resort for tourists (many Russian "oligarchs" in particular).
    Overall the vibe was more Aegean with fish taverns featuring music (sometimes Greek) and some cool architecture and parks to see.

Food

The desserts were similar to Greece to an extent, I mean Balkava was Baklava, Greek coffee was Turkish coffee, etc.
    There are some special Turkish delight "lukum" combinations that you don't find in Greece, we don't use pomegranate so much but that's it.

Salep made a difference which I liked a lot and got powder to make it at home.

Now, Turkish kebab is very different than what you can either call kebab or souvlaki in Greece.
    Turks use a lot of spices that don't exist in Greece, it's not the same savory dish with a lot of sauce and oil.
    Even kokoretsi that it is supposed to be the same dish, tasted totally different.

It's not necessarily spicy in the American sense (burgers full of chili), the spices can be more neutral than totally hot. They had their own taste which I liked, plus safran, thyme and all are very healthy.

Around Taksim in a decent restaurant, they brought me a bottle of ketchup and a bottle of mayonnaise along with my kebabs.
    You wouldn't do this in Greece.

Cost

Cost was okay for a touristic area, lower than touristic Greece for sure. More or less what you can find in rural Greece and you can survive even cheaper by street food.
    Not the value for money of your life but it is a huge touristic city.

Some good values for leather, silk, some rare spices depending on the shop.
    Cigarettes and transportation were fairly cheap. Τhe same goes for petrol but I didn't visit by car, maybe I should in the recent future.

People

The people maybe weren't as welcoming/friendly in general as you will find in (at least in touristic) Greece but they were very helpful if you asked for something.
    After saying that I'm Greek they were responding that we are close cultures and friends (kardas and "koci koci" or something). Didn't find anyone perceiving it in a negative way.
    Maybe they were even scared to offend the Byzantine sigma, maybe not.

Some spoke some Greek words and made some jokes, others held political discussions...

There were some scammers in Otogar trying to offer expensive rides, but nothing scammy in restaurants.

Hijab was a standard in the old city (necessity to enter the mosques), not so much around taksim but it was there.

Arab tourist with Gucci hijab, a lot of Slavs (I think most of them Russians), some guzel beauties with silk dresses that deserve Christianization.
    Many people that came to do surgery (Arabs, blondes, whatever), you will see covered noses like they had slept in some Topkapi stairs and red necks (because of hair transplants) like they belong to some special religious cult.

Anthrotardism

Vast diversity, they cover the Mediterranean range, I was always guessed a local before talking.
    They obviously however are going to a more Iranesque or mongoloid direction.

The Kivanoid blonde Turk exists! Mostly in light-brown-haired dinaric version, resembling some Bosnians.
    I also came across 1 or 2 tru blondes that I'm sure are locals.

The pure Turanic type also exists but not in the Finnish sense but rather browner than the med average and somewhat shorter.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Peloponnese
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Pontid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,452
    Given: 7,901

1 Not allowed!

Fun fact about kokorec:

It was first documented in Turkey in 1920 by the author Ömer Seyfettin in one of his short stories as an Athenian Greek delicacy, as he obviously tasted in a restaurant owned by an Athenian immigrant. The Turks obviously prepare it differently and serve it completely differently than Greeks (in a sandwich, ffs).

Another food also, mentioned here, at this video, was brought to Turkey by Greeks, but I don't remember the name, has something to do with sheep's head though:

As for the cost: if I decide to go there for say, 5 days, is 500€ worth of money enough?
    "Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not"
    - Επίκουρος

Banned
    Last Online
    04-25-2024 @ 07:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Southerner
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    Russian, Ukrainian, Greek, Vlach
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Monarchism
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,237
    Given: 7,503

1 Not allowed!

Been there in 2012 in 8 hours pause between airplanes, had a walk through European part, ate some local food, drank some beer, I think it's enough. Wanna come back next time when it's Constantinople.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-28-2023 @ 05:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Malaysia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

the name of the city is Istanbul and it will never be Constantinople

Banned
    Last Online
    04-25-2024 @ 07:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Southerner
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    Russian, Ukrainian, Greek, Vlach
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Monarchism
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,237
    Given: 7,503

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by parsley View Post
    How do you know about "never"?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Peloponnese
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Pontid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,452
    Given: 7,901

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by parsley View Post
    It was so for thousands of years. Until 1930, when Atatürk issued a decree to change it into "Istanbul" the Turks were calling it "Constantinople".

Plus: "Istanbul" is the Turkification of "Eis tin Polin" (Εις τήν Πόλιν).
    "Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not"
    - Επίκουρος

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:18 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Country
    Turkey
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 32

0 Not allowed!

Geia sou, it was nice to read your impressions of Istanbul, but also kinda sad realizing again and again how the city got ruined after all these migrations and wrong policies both socially and politically.

Istanbul isn't the same Istanbul as it was before, let's say before 2010's. Your comment on us getting more Iranesque and/or Mongoloid does not reflect the reality taking the young generation (including myself) into account but it's totally understandable considering you visited "Istanbul" and mainly touristic areas of course.

If you'd like to visit Turkiye again, I'd suggest you visiting Canakkale, Izmir and Mugla, I am sure your impressions would have changed positively.

PS: If I were there eating kebab and they brought some ketchup and mayonnaise on the table, I'd sue them for real. Duh.

Thread Information