Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
Which historians claim this? Just sounds like the title of a clickbait article you've repeated.

England's origins are partly 'Welsh' (Welsh in the historical sense, as Anglo-Saxons would have called all Britons, not modern Welsh). Britons/Welsh were assimilated into English culture, that was already known, and the Anglo-Saxon study from last year proved that both sexes of Britons were assimilated, and some became high class. With that being established, there's a good chance as Davystayn said that old British elites mixed with the Anglo-Saxon elites, just as the elites of different nations married throughout Medieval Europe for diplomatic reasons. That would be the most likely explanation for the Celtic sounding names of early West Saxon kings.
I'm not going to be exhaustive I can't right now trace sources.

Wessex was the last (saxon)kingdom alive after Danish invasions. Wessex conquered England.

Cerdic = CARADOC
Cynric = Cunorix
It is not AngloFrisian names
My theory is that a British Venta Belgarum usurper managed to stay in power thanks to a mass of mercenaries. They were British civil wars years about 500-550