View Poll Results: Were the people of the Bijelo Brdo culture Pannonian slavs conquered by Magyars?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 100.00%
  • No

0 0%

Thread: Were the people of the Bijelo Brdo culture Pannonian slavs conquered by Magyars?

Last Online
    12-11-2023 @ 08:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Paraguay
    Region
    Zagreb
    Hero
    Relationship Status
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 412

0 Not allowed!

Default Were the people of the Bijelo Brdo culture Pannonian slavs conquered by Magyars?

According to Wikipedia, the Bijelo Brdo culture roughly corresponds to modern-day Hungary, Far Eastern Croatia, and Vojvodina. Was this archeological culture formed based on native Pannonian Slavs being conquered and assimilated by the invading Magyars settling the Carpathian Basin?

Last Online
    05-19-2024 @ 02:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Ancestry
    Scythian,White Croat,Frank,Ostrogoth,Gepid
    Country
    Austria
    Y-DNA
    I1-P109
    mtDNA
    J1C3
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 13

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredtheslayer View Post
    According to Wikipedia, the Bijelo Brdo culture roughly corresponds to modern-day Hungary, Far Eastern Croatia, and Vojvodina. Was this archeological culture formed based on native Pannonian Slavs being conquered and assimilated by the invading Magyars settling the Carpathian Basin?
    Well the Pannonian Basin was filled with White Croats and they had a principality there ruled by Vojnomir. Anyway when the Magyars came in they pushed the Croats further down but quite alot remaind up there. The Magyars where fond of Croats especially after the defeat by by the Croatian King Tomislav which pretty much cemented the lasting respect between those two peoples. I will search up that map and post it.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Ancestry
    Country
    Austria
    Y-DNA
    I1-P109
    mtDNA
    J1C3
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Of course there is more to this part of history and region etc. So i just kept it short.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,518
    Given: 6,885

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Croatian Legend View Post
    Well the Pannonian Basin was filled with White Croats and they had a principality there ruled by Vojnomir. Anyway when the Magyars came in they pushed the Croats further down but quite alot remaind up there. The Magyars where fond of Croats especially after the defeat by by the Croatian King Tomislav which pretty much cemented the lasting respect between those two peoples. I will search up that map and post it.
    I wonder whether the notable high Germanic in Kajkavian Croats may hail from pushed down former Moosburg (Mosapurc) / Blatnograd Slavs that had before assimilated Longobard etc. remnants. (Also the Ostrogoths had settled in that area before they conquered Italy prior to the Longobards.)

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platte...m%C3%ADr_I.png
    Target: rothaer_scaled
    Distance: 1.0091% / 0.01009085

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredtheslayer View Post
    To my perception also, but not only.

Besides Slavs and Magyars there will have been Germanic and Avar remnants. Descendants of Romans will have been in Transdanubia and on the other side of the Danube had prior to the advent of the Magyars been the Bulgarian Empire. Not all of its subordinates were Slavs. Not sure if proto Bolgars settled there as well.

I can not make a meaningful vote with this opinion.

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Ancestry
    Country
    Austria
    Y-DNA
    I1-P109
    mtDNA
    J1C3
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    To my perception also, but not only.

Besides Slavs and Magyars there will have been Germanic and Avar remnants. Descendants of Romans will have been in Transdanubia and on the other side of the Danube had prior to the advent of the Magyars been the Bulgarian Empire. Not all of its subordinates were Slavs. Not sure if proto Bolgars settled there as well.

I can not make a meaningful vote with this opinion.
    Well you are correct when it comes to remnants of Avars and Germanics. But they where not few remants , a good chunk that got assimilated into todays peoples. And when it comes to Avars, many of those Avaric graves where Gepidian or other Germanic samples. Since Avars where only few and under that umbrella guite many Germanic fought for them under the umbrella of "Avars".

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Ancestry
    Country
    Austria
    Y-DNA
    I1-P109
    mtDNA
    J1C3
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Another thing is that the Ostrogothic boarders resemble the Croatian Kingdom perfectly (Croatia and Bosnia). Another interestjng fact is that in Bosnia and Dalmatia a huge chunk of Ulfbert sword at graveya4d sides have been found. So the whole Croat / Goth connection geta more logical.

Just because White Croats had a principality in Pannonia doesn't mean that they where not already in Dalmatia because they where. It is just by the magyars the Croats concentrated more towards the south or at least a chunk of it.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Croatian Legend View Post
    Well you are correct when it comes to remnants of Avars and Germanics. But they where not few remants , a good chunk that got assimilated into todays peoples. And when it comes to Avars, many of those Avaric graves where Gepidian or other Germanic samples. Since Avars where only few and under that umbrella guite many Germanic fought for them under the umbrella of "Avars".
    As late as when the Avars became ultimately defeated in 822 AD and the Frankish Empire expanded (Awarische Mark, Pannonische Mark) there were encountered some non-Bavarian „Avaric“ Germanics in the Vienna area. Gepids had been at the middle Tisza (east of it) among other places.

A connection of Ulfberth swords and Goths is not reasonable as the former were 200-300 years later than the latter.

However, the Pannonian Slavs had a lot of opportunities to assimilate Germanics and if the Hungarians would not have come, Pannonia (the mentioned marches) would very likely have become (re-)Germanised and Germany, I think.

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Thread Information