Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some Greeks call this type of Greek women are migrants from Anatolia. Why?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Southern Greek
    Ancestry
    Southern Greece
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Modern human with neanderthal admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,984
    Given: 26,580

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DNAcapo View Post
    I think it's like that everywhere in big cities. People in smaller towns and villages are more conservative. Do you think the women Greek Aegean/Cretan are the same as Greek Cypriot in their behavior?
    Those are all distinct groups:
    Greek Aegean =/= Greek Cretan =/= Greek mainand =/= Greek Cypriot.

Greeks of the Aegean are the most original Greeks in terms of ancestry. They are a bit strange in behaviour for me as a Cretan, I would say they are intermediate in culture between southern mainland and Crete.

The Cypriots are special, I don't know them too much. Back in university , the Cypriots used to stick to their own (other Greek Cypriots), but other than their own group they found it easier to hang out with mainland Greeks rather than Cretans , not sure why. I personally find the Cypriots quite friendly with anyone and more open minded and humble than the average Greek of Greece .Despite these cultural differences, we are one and same nation.
    Last edited by Voskos; 10-01-2023 at 01:21 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-04-2023 @ 04:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Voskos View Post

Greeks of the Aegean are the most original Greeks in terms of ancestry. They are a bit strange in behaviour for me as a Cretan, I would say they are intermediate in culture between southern mainland and Crete.

The Cypriots are special, I don't know them too much. Back in university , the Cypriots used to stick to their own (other Greek Cypriots), but other than their own group they found it easier to hang out with mainland Greeks rather than Cretans , not sure why. I personally find the Cypriots quite friendly with anyone and more open minded and humble than the average Greek of Greece .Despite these cultural differences, we are one and same nation.
    I have also heard that people say that Greek Cypriots are more friendly than Greeks from Greece and I don't know why that is. Maybe it's because life is better in Cyprus? I would like to visit some of the Cycladic islands, Crete and Cyprus, just wondering which is better to first visit.
    Only the prices in Cyprus are a little higher than in Greece.

If you had only two options to choose a country for retirement, would it be Greece or Cyprus without identifying as Cretan?

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I have already found the reason why Greeks from Greece are less friendly than Greek Cypriots

Last Online
    02-29-2024 @ 10:08 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    West Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 290
    Given: 372

0 Not allowed!

Do any Greeks identify as Macedonians nowadays? Or does the name typically only means North Macedonians when used by Greeks?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Southern Greek
    Ancestry
    Southern Greece
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I have also heard that people say that Greek Cypriots are more friendly than Greeks from Greece and I don't know why that is. Maybe it's because life is better in Cyprus? I would like to visit some of the Cycladic islands, Crete and Cyprus, just wondering which is better to first visit.
    Only the prices in Cyprus are a little higher than in Greece.

If you had only two options to choose a country for retirement, would it be Greece or Cyprus without identifying as Cretan?
    Depends. If you willing an adventurous life with people of different backgrounds and temperaments and have some money savings, Greece. If you want a calm , happy life, a stable pension income and cheerful people then Cyprus.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Southern Greek
    Ancestry
    Southern Greece
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by thatoneton View Post
    Do any Greeks identify as Macedonians nowadays? Or does the name typically only means North Macedonians when used by Greeks?
    As a regional identification only, yes the people from Macedonia region consider themselves Macedonian (meaning Macedonian Greek).

I could be wrong but I've never seen someone identify as ethnically macedonian , unless they have slavophone ancestors or other non-Grecophones from that region. I'm not familiar with that issue at all.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    West Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

As a regional identification only, yes the people from Macedonia region consider themselves Macedonian (meaning Macedonian Greek).

I could be wrong but I've never seen someone identify as ethnically macedonian , unless they have slavophone ancestors or other non-Grecophones from that region. I'm not familiar with that issue at all.
    How strong is a regional identity in Greece? Like would a Cypriot see themselves as primary Cypriot and then Greek or the other way around?
    Do people who speak Tzakonian have some Spartan-descended identity?

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Do you think I have a chance to meet these types of women more in Cyprus or the same % as in Crete and the Cyclades island?

Greek Cypriot

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by thatoneton View Post
    Like would a Cypriot see themselves as primary Cypriot and then Greek or the other way around?

I studied this question and I must say that Cypriots have an identity crisis. Someone will tell you that he is only Cypriot, the other a Greek Cypriot and someone only Greek.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    West Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I studied this question and I must say that Cypriots have an identity crisis. Someone will tell you that he is only Cypriot, the other a Greek Cypriot and someone only Greek.
    How would that be in percentage in your opinion? I am of course not trying to get the exact amount, just how do you feel it would be.

Just so we're clear I am not trying to divide the Greeks or anything, I'm just curious.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information