PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
Tensions between Dutch and French speakers paralyse the High Council of Justice - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tensions between Dutch and French speakers paralyse the High Council of Justice

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Central/West European
    Ethnicity
    Central/West European
    Country
    Belgium
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 319
    Given: 161

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Over the language issue there is to some extent, right?
    Those are separatist politicians trying to take advantage of administrative issues.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Central/West European
    Ethnicity
    Central/West European
    Country
    Belgium
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 319
    Given: 161

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggery View Post
    But it is clear that there are cultural-regional divisions, how many Walloons or Flemish people, instead of feeling Walloon or Flemish, feel Belgian?
    That is due to the separatism by politicians. It's just weak tribalism. They are the same people.
    What cultural? They don't understand eachother's entertainment mostly. That's it.
    Most Flemish still don't want a split. They feel Flemish IN THE FIRST PLACE. They're regionalists for some identity whoreish reason: they are naturally too different from the Dutch to join them, and dont wan't to be French either.

Last Online
    03-26-2024 @ 03:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic,Celtic, Romance
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry iberian, german, italian
    Country
    Argentina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,168
    Given: 4,757

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PaganPoet View Post
    That is due to the separatism by politicians. It's just weak tribalism. They are the same people.
    What cultural? They don't understand eachother's entertainment mostly. That's it.
    Most Flemish still don't want a split. They feel Flemish IN THE FIRST PLACE. They're regionalists for some identity whoreish reason: they are naturally too different from the Dutch to join them, and dont wan't to be French either.
    Ask a Swiss German, French or Italian if they feel more like they belong to their region than their country, and they are going to tell you no, now do the same with the people of Belgium and the opposite is going to happen, it is obvious that that Strong regionalism brings division, since it does not allow them to connect with the country, including with their compatriots who do not speak their language.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA
    K1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,956
    Given: 11,667

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Laly View Post
    I totally concur! It may sound paradoxical, but I think that although there are obvious differences between the two ethnicities, which seem insurmountable, the Flemings and the Walloons have a lot in common and I think there is even a "Belgian spirit".

Genetically, they are quite the same I think, they share the same religion, Catholicism, which shaped and in a way unified their culture, for example in an artistic point of view. For ex., several "Flemish Primitives" came from the territory of Wallonia, several of the essential Flemish writers wrote in French and there is definitely a Belgian spirit, a certain "belgitude", with an off-the-wall gaze on things, a sense of surrealism that they enjoy cultivating.
    I think you are a nice person, but for me personally the Netherlands is the better country. I have no idea how this is for other Flemings. I don't know whether Belgitude is a thing or something that grew with history as something temporary.

However, I am atypical here. The harshness of the Dutch culture speaks to me and I find Belgians too conservative.

Today even spoke to a French-speaking recruiter and we clashed so hard she blocked me on LinkedIn and I feel happy about that. She told me was a Dutch person whose ancestor took over the French language and called me typically Flemish (no insult to me). I told her she didn't sound Dutch at all, but just a Francophone Belgian (which she did!). Result: ban. Haha. Actually she was just using her Dutch heritage because she was treating me like a child and knows I like that country. As long as she doesn't label me a Francophobe, because yes, she didn't sound Dutch at all. She would always be considered Belgian in accent and mentality, despite her Dutch heritage.

I found her very rude to be honest. But I like other French-speakers a whole deal more and everyone's an individual.

Every time I get a job interview in Belgium it's way too authoritarian for me. Dutch are harsher, but at least they leave more room for individualism. In the Netherlands I never leave with such feeling of awkwardness.

Dutch are harsher though, way harsher, but also more free.
    Last edited by Dandelion; 10-16-2023 at 04:21 PM.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Quintessential Western Euro
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese, Walloon, Flemish, Dutch, German, Luxembourgish, English
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    Lazy housewife
    Hero
    Oblomov
    Religion
    oblomovchtchina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,019
    Given: 4,943

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    I think you are a nice person, but for me personally the Netherlands is the better country. I have no idea how this is for other Flemings. I don't know whether Belgitude is a thing or something that grew with history as something temporary.

However, I am atypical here. The harshness of the Dutch culture speaks to me and I find Belgians too conservative.

Today even spoke to a French-speaking recruiter and we clashed so hard she blocked me on LinkedIn and I feel happy about that. She told me was a Dutch person whose ancestor took over the French language and called me typically Flemish (no insult to me). I told her she didn't sound Dutch at all, but just a Francophone Belgian (which she did!). Result: ban. Haha. Actually she was just using her Dutch heritage because she was treating me like a child and knows I like that country. As long as she doesn't label me a Francophobe, because yes, she didn't sound Dutch at all. She would always be considered Belgian in accent and mentality, despite her Dutch heritage.

I found her very rude to be honest. But I like other French-speakers a whole deal more and everyone's an individual.

Every time I get a job interview in Belgium it's way too authoritarian for me. Dutch are harsher, but at least they leave more room for individualism. In the Netherlands I never leave with such feeling of awkwardness.

Dutch are harsher though, way harsher, but also more free.
    I am sorry to hear you had this bad experience lately.

I have no doubt that the Netherlands and the Dutch are, in every way, much better than Belgium and the Belgians.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA
    K1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,956
    Given: 11,667

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Laly View Post
    I am sorry to hear you had this bad experience lately.

I have no doubt that the Netherlands and the Dutch are, in every way, much better than Belgium and the Belgians.
    What rubbed me the wrong way was her chipping at my integrity. I had short work periods with previous employers and she quickly concluded that is proof I be unfit for that role. She used her Dutch heritage because she assumed it would persuade me better. She spoke better Dutch than I did French, but speaking my language means nothing if one has a shitty personality. Haha.

She also didn't do her homework about where I lived before calling me. Ugh.

You speak poor Dutch and I prefer a person like you above any such recruiter. Mind you, recruiters are usually not the nicest of people.

As for Dutch people. Many have their flaws, but I like the Netherlands since my childhood. They are a very entrepreneural culture, but that always comes at a price. I am willing to pay it. People should be able to focus on the country they prefer.
    Last edited by Dandelion; 10-18-2023 at 06:05 AM.

Veteran Member Your Old Comrade's Avatar
    Last Online
    02-06-2024 @ 05:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Netherlands, Northern France, Wallonia
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region