Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "When you learn one Romance language, to a considerable extent you learn them all". Discuss.

Last Online
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    romanian canadian
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 181

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheForeigner View Post
    What are you trying to say? Peasants and other learned from school how to speak the language a bit differently. It wasn't overnight and I am not calling it 'relatinization'. It was still a Romance language, just with a stronger Slavic flavor(i.e. large part of vocabulary) than today. Are you trying to deny there wasn't massive adoption of French words in the language since the 19th century and that certain older Slavic derived words became archaism and marginalized. That would be hilarious, since it's not ancient history and it is well known.
    Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neac%C8%99u%27s_letter. a lot of peasants didn't go to school back in the day. IT wasn't a massive adoption of French words stop exaggerating things lol

Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Exotic Med
    Ethnicity
    Racial Tragedy
    Country
    Peru
    Politics
    Xenelasia
    Religion
    Chinas con Culo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18,569
    Given: 13,240

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas View Post
    Learning one Romance language will help you a lot in learning others or, on the other hand, it will confuse you even more at times.
    That's what happened to me: I was learning portuguese when I suddenly moved to Italy a couple of months and got the 2 languages mixed up. Sometimes I'm not sure if what I'm saying is actually italian or portuguese lol

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    England
    mtDNA
    U2e1
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,276
    Given: 5,610

0 Not allowed!

There might be some truth to it. I can speak French fluently and I can understand Italian and Spanish when written without a translation tool. Portuguese and Romanian seem a little more challenging.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    European origin American
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    anti-marxist, antimanelist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 541
    Given: 335

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheForeigner View Post
    What are you trying to say? Peasants and other learned from school how to speak the language a bit differently. It wasn't overnight and I am not calling it 'relatinization'. It was still a Romance language, just with a stronger Slavic flavor(i.e. large part of vocabulary) than today. Are you trying to deny there wasn't massive adoption of French words in the language since the 19th century and that certain older Slavic derived words became archaism and marginalized. That would be hilarious, since it's not ancient history and it is well known.
    No, old Romanian didn't have a stronger Slavic flavor. In fact, old Romanian had a larger proportion of Latin origin words. Many of these were later re-imported from French as modern counterparts to medieval words.

Regardless, no Latinization of Romanian ever happened, first of all because one could not teach illiterate peasants how to speak with more Latin origin words, since 95% of the population never went to school during the 1750-1850 period (starting with Scoala Ardeleana) when this supposed Relatinization took place.

Romanian, like any other European language, went through a process of modernization during the 18 and 19th centuries - not more, not less than other European languages. Modern concepts were imported from French, and older words, tied to medieval life, be them of Latin or Slavic origin, saw a decrease in usage. However, these older words were never suppressed in the language, they are still part of the Romanian vocabulary, and in specific contexts (like for instance in religious speech) they are still in use.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European origin American
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ćđelfriţ View Post
    I've seen some people say that Portuguese, at least the European variety, actually sounds more Slavic than Romanian.
    Standard Romanian does not sound Slavic. If Romanian sounds Slavic, then anything sounds Slavic - it's a completely random thing to say.

You can check this thread for a comparison of Romanian and other languages:
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...anian-in-sound

Some Romanians, particularly those from Rep of Moldova, may speak Romanian with a Russian accent because they are bilingual (they speak both Romanian and Russian at native levels).

Romanian does have some Slavic origin vocabulary, but it is changed so much from the original that it is actually not recognized by Slavic speakers (with no training in Romanian).

Last Online
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    romanian canadian
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 181

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dviz View Post
    No, old Romanian didn't have a stronger Slavic flavor. In fact, old Romanian had a larger proportion of Latin origin words. Many of these were later re-imported from French as modern counterparts to medieval words.

Regardless, no Latinization of Romanian ever happened, first of all because one could not teach illiterate peasants how to speak with more Latin origin words, since 95% of the population never went to school during the 1750-1850 period (starting with Scoala Ardeleana) when this supposed Relatinization took place.

Romanian, like any other European language, went through a process of modernization during the 18 and 19th centuries - not more, not less than other European languages. Modern concepts were imported from French, and older words, tied to medieval life, be them of Latin or Slavic origin, saw a decrease in usage. However, these older words were never suppressed in the language, they are still part of the Romanian vocabulary, and in specific contexts (like for instance in religious speech) they are still in use.
    He is not going to answer he's banned

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European origin American
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ioas12 View Post
    He is not going to answer he's banned
    Most of the time he is, can't pay attention to that

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,345
    Given: 43,853

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Incal View Post
    That's what happened to me: I was learning portuguese when I suddenly moved to Italy a couple of months and got the 2 languages mixed up. Sometimes I'm not sure if what I'm saying is actually italian or portuguese lol
    Some Portuguese and Italian words do sound very similar actually: hoje/oggi, filho/figlio, volta/volta (although it means something different in the two languages).

Last Online
    05-07-2024 @ 05:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF27
    mtDNA
    J1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,753
    Given: 3,217

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Some Portuguese and Italian words do sound very similar actually: hoje/oggi, filho/figlio, volta/volta (although it means something different in the two languages).
    Those two words couldn't sound more different in portuguese and italian. The other two might sound vaguely similar, but definitely not the bolded ones.

Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Exotic Med
    Ethnicity
    Racial Tragedy
    Country
    Peru
    Politics
    Xenelasia
    Religion
    Chinas con Culo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18,569
    Given: 13,240

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Damiăo de Góis View Post
    Those two words couldn't sound more different in portuguese and italian. The other two might sound vaguely similar, but definitely not the bolded ones.
    Regardless, sometimes 2 words can sound similar and have nothing to do with each other, leading to confusing or funny situations:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information