H1c
    Hero
    sprinkle sprinkle
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,115
    Given: 1,183

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hulu View Post
    It rather proves my point, out of 4 million, fifty were lynched. If it was racially motivated the number would have been much higher. Bring a case when there was no other motivation for lynching than their ethnicity. Do you know 1800 whites were lynched as well. Often the lynching was not racially motivated other than social tensions in an impoverished time.
    It literally says it in the text. But you are free to believe whatever.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-21-2024 @ 04:39 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    EHG + E̶E̶F̶
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,096
    Given: 1,038

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hulu View Post
    How conveniently your source is in Russian...
    The number I quoted for jews immigrating up until that point, same as russian. Not the total number of either.
    Wikipedia says that they were not Russians, but Poles and Finns. Of the 3.3 million subjects of the Russian Empire who migrated to the United States, 5% were ethnic Russians, including Ukrainians, Belarusians and Carpathian Rusyns. What's the point of further discussion if you don't want to believe the sources?

Sup? Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Of the school of Ron Jeremy
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,174
    Given: 12,854

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vessna View Post
    Does your academic source ignore that White men were lynched as well?
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...tate-and-race/

That's how some areas dealt with criminals or perceived to be criminals. People weren't just randomly lynched for their background.

Leo Franks - Jewish - was lynched not because he was Jewish but because he was getting off for murdering a 13 year old girl. He would have been lynched whether he was White, Black, Martian, etc.

I'm sure it won't also mention that Blacks were part of the mob that lynched the Sicilians who were suspected of the murder of police chief Hennessey.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Frank Grimes View Post
    Does your academic source ignore that White men were lynched as well?
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...tate-and-race/

That's how some areas dealt with criminals or perceived to be criminals. People weren't just randomly lynched for their background.

Leo Franks - Jewish - was lynched not because he was Jewish but because he was getting off for murdering a 13 year old girl. He would have been lynched whether he was White, Black, Martian, etc.

I'm sure it won't also mention that Blacks were part of the mob that lynched the Sicilians who were suspected of the murder of police chief Hennessey.
    The Hennessey murder is a good example of what I'm talking about: other than the men accused, Italians and their property were left alone. That's not to say these men who were lynched were guilty (although he was certainly killed by an Italian). Does it take a dozen men to murder another? It appears there was hysteria over the mafia.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Balto-Slavic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Swamps
    Country
    Antarctica
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    mtDNA
    H1c
    Hero
    sprinkle sprinkle
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Frank Grimes View Post
    The Hennessey murder is a good example of what I'm talking about: other than the men accused, Italians and their property were left alone. That's not to say these men who were lynched were guilty (although he was certainly killed by an Italian). Does it take a dozen men to murder another? It appears there was hysteria over the mafia.

Every textbook and article I’ve read on the subject mentions lynchings in the context of race. If you think otherwise, nothing would convince you. I cited enough resources. I am not going to continue the argument. Let’s agree to disagree.

https://muse.jhu.edu/article/206419/...0of%20Italians

Last Online
    Today @ 04:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    Donauschwabe
    Country
    Hungary
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,430
    Given: 9,933

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Automata View Post
    Politics aside, you may be right about what you say, but Russia invading Ukraine sparked outrage around the world as well as in Slavic countries. In general, only Serbs and Belarusians support Russians politically. The rest of the Slavic world stands with Ukraine. Poles vehemently support Ukrainians.
    Its not true. Slovaks, bulgarians are also pro-russian in general. In the reality just some slavic nation are russophobic like poles, it has historical reasons. Majority of slavs are impartial and they are against this slav vs slav war, a large number of them is pro-russian, and a small part is pro-ukrainian.

So, it can be certainly said that Benjamin Franklin, one of the founding fathers of the United States, regarded the Saxons as whiter than the Irish.
    Maybe im wrong here, but im sure that protestant germans had much better reputation in USA than catholic germans

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Balto-Slavic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Swamps
    Country
    Antarctica
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    mtDNA
    H1c
    Hero
    sprinkle sprinkle
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    Its not true. Slovaks, bulgarians are also pro-russian in general. In the reality just some slavic nation are russophobic like poles, it has historical reasons. Majority of slavs are impartial and they are against this slav vs slav war, a large number of them is pro-russian, and a small part is pro-ukrainian.

Maybe im wrong here, but im sure that protestant germans had much better reputation in USA than catholic germans
    I agree with the majority of Slavs being against Slav vs Slav war. I am personally deeply disturbed by it, and don’t know many people who are not. I love both Russians and Ukrainians. In many cases Eastern Slavs have family ties in all three countries. There is always a relative in Belarus, Russia or Ukraine. This war is a very painful experience. It’s literally breaking families apart.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Every textbook and article I’ve read on the subject mentions lynchings in the context of race. If you think otherwise, nothing would convince you. I cited enough resources. I am not going to continue the argument. Let’s agree to disagree.

I provided an argument with specific evidence. Is there something wrong with the primary source I offered? The journalist has no reason to lie about Italians and their property being left alone. There is no primary source that says otherwise.

It's like, you know, great that you provided sources, but at some point in your time at the university, you'll realize there is a lot of circle-jerking among professors for an agenda. You can do the primary research yourself instead of relying on others. When you read a textbook or article, actually research the footnotes given.
    Last edited by Colonel Frank Grimes; 10-22-2023 at 04:46 PM.

Last Online
    Today @ 04:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    Donauschwabe
    Country
    Hungary
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,430
    Given: 9,933

0 Not allowed!

I agree with the majority of Slavs being against Slav vs Slav war. I am personally deeply disturbed by it, and don’t know many people who are not. I love both Russians and Ukrainians. In many cases Eastern Slavs have family ties in all three countries. There is always a relative in Belarus, Russia or Ukraine. This war is a very painful experience. It’s literally breaking families apart.
    Yeah, but the ukrainian society is ruined by themselves. It was rotten as well long before the russian attack.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ethnicity
    Galician
    Country
    United States
    Region
    West Virginia
    Y-DNA
    Powerful Male
    mtDNA
    Powerful Female
    Politics
    Hero
    Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I took a few minutes to look at your source in the quote and the first paragraph was so wrong I didn't bother with the rest.

Breaking it down:

Unlike other European immigrants who struggled initially to become "white" in America, such as the Irish and the Jews, Italian immigrants fought a hostile reception even beyond the third generation in the U.S.
    The Irish were never perceived as non-White.

Jews were perceived to be White before Italians? Lolz.... What was this based on? No footnotes, of course, because this isn't a legitimate source.

Despite, or perhaps because of, the nearly quintessential American familias of the Corleones and the Sopranos, young people of Italian descent are still given affirmative action scholarships, at least in New York City, to entice them to go to college and take part in the American Dream.
    There was only one university that had an affirmative action for Italian-Americans. Why? Because the local Italians were able to strong arm their way to it for the benefit of their community, It wasn't done because there was a perception that they were minority that needed help.

Of all the universities and colleges that offer protections for minorities, CUNY appears to be the only one that has declared Italian-Americans an official affirmative action category in employment, promising special efforts to recruit, hire and promote them, according to national higher-education groups.

LINK
    This is how they got affirmative action for Italians at CUNY.

Additionally, it is not entirely clear how Italian Americans obtained the privileges of affirmative action, or why they needed this protection at the first place. This study traces the reasons for Italian Americans’ inclusion into CUNY’s affirmative action program. It also describes the development of Italian Americans’ relations with the authorities of CUNY, as well as connections of the Italian American faculty members with New York politicians
    https://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/esh_2016/1/
    The author just makes assumptions based on their preconceived beliefs instead of taking ten minutes to look into it.

Although European immigrants were initially granted automatic citizenship thanks to the privileging of white skin that inspired the Naturalization Act of 1790, thus leading to the large-scale immigration of Europeans of the 19th and 20th centuries, it took Italians several generations to be perceived as entirely "white" while the Irish and Jews were essentially "white" by the second generation.
    What is the claim in bold based on?

This is not a source. This is googling and posting anything you find.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information