View Poll Results: Should smoking be banned in public places?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, smoking should be banned in all public places.

32 37.65%
  • Yes, smoking should be banned in official buildings but not bars/restaurants etc.

6 7.06%
  • No, but venues which allow smoking should have designated smoking areas

13 15.29%
  • No, smoking should be allowed without, or with few obvious restrictions

5 5.88%
  • No, it should be up to the owner/operator of the building.

25 29.41%
  • Why should I care, I don't frequent public places!

2 2.35%
  • Other opinion, which will be elaborated in the 78-odd paragraphs to follow

2 2.35%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban smoking in public?

Last Online
    04-15-2014 @ 01:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Alemanni, Suebi.
    Country
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    Borreby/Nordalpinoid + Atlantonordoid
    Politics
    Platonic NS
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Default Ban smoking in public?

Well, pretty straightforward. Scotland, England, Ireland and Norway have banned smoking in all public places, some other countries like Germany, Italy and Austria have limited the public places in which one can smoke, and we heard of Schiphol Airport going smoke-free at the end of last year.

Either way - do you support the idea of banning smoking in public? If yes, why? If no, why not?

Last Online
    04-15-2014 @ 01:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Alemanni, Suebi.
    Country
    Germany
    Taxonomy
    Borreby/Nordalpinoid + Atlantonordoid
    Politics
    Platonic NS
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Anyway, here goes my own opinion. Now, now, I may be a smoker at present and it will sound a little like the stereotypical smoker's rant to some, but I even held exactly the same views on this during my 6-monthly intermezzo as a non-smoker.

I believe that it should be banned in government buildings and the likes, with a smoking area maybe provided outside and at the back, as well as maybe a secluded one inside for the Staff. If you go to a courtroom or a parliament session, you expect to be in a formal, cleanly and proper atmosphere.

Local public transport should be non-smoking, usually ventilation is bad, and surely no one can be so addicted as to not be able to withhold the urge to smoke for half an hour. Long-distance public transport should however cater for smokers: Trains should have two smoking compartments, one at either end, and as regards planes the air was actually healthier when smoking was still allowed, because paradoxically clean air would be pumped into the cabin more frequently, as the rate of ventilation obviously needs to be higher to deal with the smoke.

For other public places I propose a compromise: Pubs, restaurants and other venues who have only a single room, or an area of less than 75 square metres should be able to choose whether they want their entire premises to be either smoking or non-smoking.

Those places that have multiple rooms, or an area of more than 75 square metres, should be obliged to install one smoking and one non-smoking area... many cafes, pubs and restaurants have multiple rooms/lounges separated by staircases, hallways or other passageways that prevent the smoke from evading, especially here in the UK.

The final concern will surely be that of the Staff that work at the place, and their health. Now I see where one would be coming from in a country like Germany, or Austria, where your drinks are brought to your table more often than not, but I cannot see the issue in the UK, where you are expected to collect your drinks from the bar: If you have a bar room and a lounge room - why not have people collect their drinks, and maybe even food, from the bar room (which would sensibly be non-smoking) and then move on into the lounge room if they wish to smoke.

Either way, with about 35% of all adults smoking, I find it important that a compromise should be met, as there are obviously the smokers, the non-smokers who aren't bothered, and the non-smokers who are bothered...and all groups being relatively equal in numbers.

I have also heard the argument by the way that it will improve the atmosphere in a pub, and maybe even get people to stop smoking, and it will finally make everything cleaner? Oh, really? Ever since smoking was banned in enclosed public places here in Scotland:
    • You are now able to smell the sweat and farts in a pub...surely not a pleasant smell either?
    • It has made smoking social again. Friendships are made whilst smoking outside because you meet random people you would have never talked to otherwise. Also, if you are the only non-smoker out with a group of smokers, you are more or less bound to head outside with them or be left alone at a table. Many people start that way...and are still passive smoking either way, if they don't.
    • Made everything cleaner? With the City Councils not seeing themselves responsible to clean sidewalks, a semi-blind person could tell where the entrances to pubs are: Cigarette buds all over the place that would otherwise have been deposed of in a

PS: And on a side note: If I walk down a busy road during rush hour for ten minutes I suppose I inhale more toxic smoke than by sitting in the smoking compartment of a train for an hour. So instead of bitching about how smoking inside adversely influences our health, people should rather look at the damage they are doing themselves by often driving cars that are anything but environmentally friendly.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,946
    Given: 45,034

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs up

Absolutely, ban smoking in all public places.

I can say that the UK smoking ban is one of the best societal changes that I have ever experienced in my life. All of a sudden it is more pleasant, and tolerable, to go to bars and clubs, and restaurants -- without having to be bombarded by that repulsive stink of tobacco smoke. I despise it, and feel smokers who smoke in public are selfish and rude.

♡✞♕✝♕✞♡
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Austria
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    💕
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 844
    Given: 357

0 Not allowed!

I too despise tobacco smoke and I don't see why I, as a non-smoker, should be forced to put up with the disgusting smell anywhere I go. But I think there should be places where smokers should be able to go and smoke their cigarettes too. So, I think it should be up to the owner of the building/bar/restaurant etc. That way the state wouldn't push either a pro-smoking or an anti-smoking stance on people and they would have options to choose from.
    Last edited by Thordis; 11-18-2008 at 02:50 AM.

Everything is Beautiful WinterMoon's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-19-2010 @ 03:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

I voted to ban it in all public places, simply because I don't feel that those of us who choose not to smoke should be forced to be subjected to something which can be a detriment on our health.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-17-2009 @ 10:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain (Some by way of Ulster) & Germany
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Osteuropid-NorthAlpinid
    Politics
    Ultra-Conservative/anti-Obama
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

Nicotine stinks! It is inconsiderate of smokers to spread that smell. If you are downwind of a smoker you will end up smelling like an ashtray. Not to mention all of those cigarette buts that letter the landscape. So I'm in favor of banning smoking in public places & taxing the hell out of tobacco products. Btw, I'm also opposed to the chewing of tobacco in public. More disgusting then smoking.2

Apricity Supporter Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-28-2011 @ 11:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Scandogermania
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Gracile CM
    Politics
    "Ethnocultural-continuity"
    Religion
    Mit dem Schwan
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

0 Not allowed!

I hate smoking and I always move away when there's a smoker upwind. So I am hardly objective when I say it should be banned in public.

I also am in favor of it being ridiculously overtaxed to discourage usage in general. In my state (Virginia) the tax rate for cigerettes is the lowest in the USA, I'm told.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    PS: And on a side note: If I walk down a busy road during rush hour for ten minutes I suppose I inhale more toxic smoke than by sitting in the smoking compartment of a train for an hour. So instead of bitching about how smoking inside adversely influences our health, people should rather look at the damage they are doing themselves by often driving cars that are anything but environmentally friendly.
    Are you sure of this? I'd be very interested to see some proofs of that.

One way or another we definitely need to eventually ban these polluting petroleum-fuelled cars, too.

Just Myself Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-22-2023 @ 02:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    igneous
    Ancestry
    Lewisian gneiss
    Country
    Denmark
    Taxonomy
    Pebble
    Politics
    it's MY rock
    Religion
    Heathen
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

I'm very glad of the existing ban on smoking in enclosed spaces as I've had to work in such areas for many years, I don't think it should be banned everywhere though, as outside it is not normally to much of a problem, if I end up down wind of a smoker I simply move. However in the case of outside public displays I think it should be banned as then one can't normally move away from the disgusting smell!

[*] You are now able to smell the sweat and farts in a pub...surely not a pleasant smell either?
    But they don't cling to your clothes and hair and force your entire flat to stink when you go home as well, also I work in a night club and am very great full that I no longer get burnt by random fags and don't have to breath toxic fumes 8 hours a day.
    [*]It has made smoking social again. Friendships are made whilst smoking outside because you meet random people you would have never talked to otherwise.
    Isn't that a good point??

Also, if you are the only non-smoker out with a group of smokers, you are more or less bound to head outside with them or be left alone at a table. Many people start that way...and are still passive smoking either way, if they don't.
    No I don't head outside (as you well know) and the air outside is able to freely circulate so the levels of tar etc will be much lower

Point is irrelevant if not totally nonfactual cars are useful, fags do nothing but harm those who foolishly think it's cool to smoke.
    Last edited by Skandi; 11-18-2008 at 02:49 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-18-2012 @ 11:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    "...ice people, Europeans, colonizers, oppressors, the cold, rigid element in world history."
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Taxonomy
    Nordic
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40

0 Not allowed!

Government buildings should be left up to the local authority or whatever.

Private buildings (I don't consider restaurants, corporate office buildings, etc to be 'public spaces) should be left up to the owner. If it bothers you that much, don't go there.

`│´ 1312019132512912292038191221 Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Germanic
    Ethnicity
    northern barbarian
    Country
    Sweden
    Taxonomy
    frosty & bloodthirsty
    Politics
    savaging and pillaging
    Religion
    catheist & evil cat propagandist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101

0 Not allowed!

I echo Loki's sentiments .

Smoking bans are the way to go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Absolutely, ban smoking in all public places.

I can say that the UK smoking ban is one of the best societal changes that I have ever experienced in my life. All of a sudden it is more pleasant, and tolerable, to go to bars and clubs, and restaurants -- without having to be bombarded by that repulsive stink of tobacco smoke. I despise it, and feel smokers who smoke in public are selfish and rude.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information