View Poll Results: Should smoking be banned in public places?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, smoking should be banned in all public places.

32 37.65%
  • Yes, smoking should be banned in official buildings but not bars/restaurants etc.

6 7.06%
  • No, but venues which allow smoking should have designated smoking areas

13 15.29%
  • No, smoking should be allowed without, or with few obvious restrictions

5 5.88%
  • No, it should be up to the owner/operator of the building.

25 29.41%
  • Why should I care, I don't frequent public places!

2 2.35%
  • Other opinion, which will be elaborated in the 78-odd paragraphs to follow

2 2.35%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban smoking in public?

Last Online
    12-22-2008 @ 01:44 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Nationalist-Libertarian
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Let's separate Jews from smoking bans here.

Can you answer this question: If the govt's didn't ban smoking, would smokers out of their own altruistic will stop smoking in public to consider others who don't like it? What is worse than something forced upon you? Smokers have been forcing this repulsive smell upon me since an early age. Life is so much better now without it. up
    I think we've already agreed that banning smoking in enclosed government funded places is acceptable to ensure their use and enjoyment by all people, however what else do you mean by public? If I'm sitting out in the open on a beach or a park and light up a smoke, then you come and sit 15 feet downwind and start wretching and coughing because you caught a whiff of my cigarette, am I expected to butt out to satisfy you?

Suppose I'm barbequing in a park or on a beach (charcoal smoke is at least as cancerous as cigarette smoke) and you object, should I pour water over my coals and go to McDonalds instead?

And, there is also the separate issue of private "public" spaces. If the owner permits smoking on his property, it is up to non-smokers to decide if they wish to endure second hand smoke or not, by staying or leaving

So I guess my answer is no, smokers would not and should not butt out in public to appease the sensitive anti-smokers.

By the way, for the record, I don't smoke, but I'll defend anyone's right to smoke in any non-enclosed public place.
    vos estis tam sancti sicut vultis

*NOTE: My use of the words Jews or Blacks should not be interpreted as referring to
    all Jews or all Blacks, it in fact only refers to those Jews or Blacks that I am referring to.

Niagara Freedom Web
    Nastrander's Realm
    Swastika Homepage
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freedom_of_speech_for_everyone/

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,955
    Given: 45,023

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nastrander View Post
    I think we've already agreed that banning smoking in enclosed government funded places is acceptable to ensure their use and enjoyment by all people,
    Uhmm ... I haven't agreed on that. A smoker may enjoy a fag, but I doubt the non-smoker would enjoy it.

however what else do you mean by public?
    Essentially, I mean places where people go and mix with crowds, i.e. in restaurants, pubs, clubs, public transport, and anywhere people are packed together closely.

If I'm sitting out in the open on a beach or a park and light up a smoke, then you come and sit 15 feet downwind and start wretching and coughing because you caught a whiff of my cigarette, am I expected to butt out to satisfy you?
    I would appreciate it, because you're spoiling the smell of fresh air that I am trying to enjoy. up

Suppose I'm barbequing in a park or on a beach (charcoal smoke is at least as cancerous as cigarette smoke) and you object, should I pour water over my coals and go to McDonalds instead?
    A barbecue's smell is pleasant. The smell of Camel is horrible.

And, there is also the separate issue of private "public" spaces. If the owner permits smoking on his property, it is up to non-smokers to decide if they wish to endure second hand smoke or not, by staying or leaving
    Maybe ... but this should be the exception rather than the norm.

So I guess my answer is no, smokers would not and should not butt out in public to appease the sensitive anti-smokers.

By the way, for the record, I don't smoke, but I'll defend anyone's right to smoke in any non-enclosed public place.
    We will agree to disagree.

Last Online
    12-22-2008 @ 01:44 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Nationalist-Libertarian
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

We will agree to disagree.
    agreed
    vos estis tam sancti sicut vultis

*NOTE: My use of the words Jews or Blacks should not be interpreted as referring to
    all Jews or all Blacks, it in fact only refers to those Jews or Blacks that I am referring to.

Niagara Freedom Web
    Nastrander's Realm
    Swastika Homepage
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freedom_of_speech_for_everyone/

Banned
    Last Online
    06-18-2012 @ 11:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    "...ice people, Europeans, colonizers, oppressors, the cold, rigid element in world history."
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Taxonomy
    Nordic
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Æmeric View Post
    The problem with smoking is that others have to inhale the smoke. And the smell. When smokers smoke in public they are intruding on the rights of others.
    Well, aside from the health concerns, I, as a non-smoker -- why should I tolerate that repulsive smell in public? Smokers force that on me.
    If you go out in public, you're going to interact with people you may or may not like. What's next, mandating the wearing of deodorant? Banning cell phones so that we won't be subject to these conversations? Nobody allowed to yell or even talk or play stereo/radio at all in public? Nobody can wear clothes that clash or are ugly? You can't make everyone around you conform to your desires.

Everything is Beautiful WinterMoon's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-19-2010 @ 03:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SwordoftheVistula
    If you go out in public, you're going to interact with people you may or may not like. What's next, mandating the wearing of deodorant?
    Sounds great to me. up

Banning cell phones so that we won't be subject to these conversations?
    Let's at least ban the use of them in public restrooms.

Nobody allowed to yell or even talk or play stereo/radio at all in public?
    Sounds like a plan. I like quiet.

Nobody can wear clothes that clash or are ugly?
    Exactly. And no obese people can wear tight fitting spandex, or horizontal stripes. Thin people are forbidden from vertical stripes and clothes that look like undergarments. Black bras under white blouses are also forbidden. All pants must be worn above the buttocks. Absolutely no white shoes after labor day. Hooker apparel must be thrown in the garbage immediately. Dreadlocks and mullets must be cut off. Hmmmm... what did I miss?

You can't make everyone around you conform to your desires.
    Why not? I think it's a great idea. Let's also outlaw homosexuals from showing public affection. up

But, back to the topic of smoking in public...... I personally do not like when I leave the clinic with my infant and I walk through a wall of smoke. This has occurred on more than one occasion in multiple clinic locations. Smoking is detrimental to health. An individual should not be forced to smoke through second hand means. I would not go sit next to a smoker in a public place, and I find it rude if someone comes and sits next to me then lights up. I have met very, very few smokers who are considerate enough of others to first ask, "Do you mind if I smoke?"

Banned
    Last Online
    06-18-2012 @ 11:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    "...ice people, Europeans, colonizers, oppressors, the cold, rigid element in world history."
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Taxonomy
    Nordic
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by WinterMoon View Post
    I personally do not like when I leave the clinic with my infant
    Uh oh...crying infants are the scourge of restaurants, airplanes and other such places...better ban those too

Everything is Beautiful WinterMoon's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-19-2010 @ 03:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

0 Not allowed!

Uh oh...crying infants are the scourge of restaurants, airplanes and other such places...better ban those too
    At least my crying infant doesn't have an ill effect on your health. People just loooove babies. And if my infant was crying to the point where it bothered others, I would surely take it outside, not force them to endure listening to it while trying to enjoy a meal. (I've never taken an infant on an airplane.)

Last Online
    09-23-2013 @ 06:37 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scotland
    Country
    South Africa
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

0 Not allowed!

I smoked for years, and am trying to quit. It's hard, but the one thing that makes me so determined is how repulsed I am when other people smoke. It stinks.

I have to carry an asthma pump with me all the time because of smoking. However, it's been over a month since I quit, and I can't believe how wonderful food smells and tastes. I can also breath easier and although I am coughing a lot, it's not as bad as a few months ago when I had chronic bronchitis where I coughed so hard that I tore muscles. Eina!

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,729
    Given: 61,129

0 Not allowed!

I am a social smoker and I made a promise to myself to quit and I am down to my last package now (wish me luck).
    About the smoking ban I find any intrusion of government into what is basically private territory (remember we are not a communist country- and restaurants and bars are still owned by entrepreneurs although our social-democratic/christian would like us to believe otherwise) abhorrent.

When they ban smoking in public transport, or in public or municipal buildings I can agree with it- although I think that it should be decided by referendum (but I know that our government has the fear of God for the voice of the people untill election time). Because those public spaces are the ones used by smokers and non-smokers alike.

But when it comes to banning smoking in pubs and restaurants- I am very much against it. Not because smoking isn't bad but because the government finds it neccesary to sit on the chair of the entrepreneur and decide in it's place. I think that any restaurant owner or pub owner should decide for himself. And I honestly think that when a governments acts on private soil then that is a dangerous precedent. A very dangerous precedent.

Leave it to the free market. The reason "we want to protect staff from smokers' is invalid since most staff smokes themselves and sales have plummeted since customers stay away. If non-smokers want smokefree pubs: put some money together, try to interest an entrepreneur for your plans and open up your own chain.
    Last edited by The Lawspeaker; 07-19-2012 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Spelling check

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Last Online
    04-30-2009 @ 12:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    swedish
    Ancestry
    Sweden and Finland.
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I do smoke, some periods I smoke ALOT. Still I do not smoke when close to non-smokers, I don't smoke in other peoples cars unless they unprovoked say that it is ok to do so (or lit one themselves). Smoking is banned almost everywhere but outdoors in Sweden and I like it actually. Some pubs have special rooms for smokers and that is always welcome when it's cold outside or if the place is crowded at the door.
    I do sometimes miss the cigarette that I used to lit directly after a fine meal at a restaurant, I sometimes miss having a smoke at the table in company of good friends at the pub though. That IS a special feeling.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information