E-M34
    Taxonomy
    CM + Alpinid + Orientalid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,051
    Given: 1,932

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by kessaras View Post
    Is there case that shows it happens? A research or something.
    There is a known practice effect. The statistical g-loading of tests related to general intelligence can be reduced by coaching and practice but not eliminated. Unless you mean actual cheating like intentionally memorizing exact vocabulary or matrix items before testing real intelligence will still factor in.

Precautions for practice effect are often mentioned in administration manuals. Psychologists usually do not give the same test to a subject in a given year for this reason. Due to special Ed evaluations I was the given the WISC-IV and Woodcock Johnson III within 3 months of each other at age 12 and scored 119 on both occasions. The tests were still different enough for there not to be an impact.

This post addresses findings of practice effect for Weschler tests:
    https://iqmrdeathpenalty.blogspot.co...fects.html?m=1
    Last edited by Melkiirs; 10-29-2023 at 02:52 AM.

Last Online
    Today @ 01:44 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Turkish-Karachay
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Politics
    Close to Center
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,328
    Given: 3,036

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Milkaner View Post
    There is a known practice effect. The statistical g-loading of tests related to general intelligence can be reduced by coaching and practice but not eliminated. Unless you mean actual cheating like intentionally memorizing exact vocabulary or matrix items before testing real intelligence will still factor in.

Precautions for practice effect are often mentioned in administration manuals. Psychologists usually do not give the same test to a subject in a given year for this reason. Due to special Ed evaluations I was the given the WISC-IV and Woodcock Johnson III within 3 months of each other at age 12 and scored 119 on both occasions. The tests were still different enough for there not to be an impact.

This post addresses findings of practice effect for Weschler tests:
    https://iqmrdeathpenalty.blogspot.co...fects.html?m=1
    While practice and coaching can boost scores, they might not completely eliminate the connection between the test and general intelligence. There could still be some degree of correlation, but the practice effect introduces a complicating factor in interpreting the results. That's what I understood from your post.

What is the best free or low-cost IQ test online? Do you know about the validity of online IQ tests?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    Euro
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 651

1 Not allowed!

The "dumb" can become "gifted" and the "gifted", "dumb". I exagerate... but It looks like IQ can fluctuate widely, especially from childhood to adulthood.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3672949/

"More generally, our results emphasize the possibility that an individual’s intellectual capacity relative to their peers can weaken or strengthen in the teenage years. This would be encouraging to those whose intellectual potential may improve; and a warning that early achievers may not maintain their potential."
    "Our interest was in the considerable variation observed between testing points at the individual level which ranged from −20 to +23 for VIQ, −18 to +17 for PIQ and −18 to +21 for FSIQ. "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6483529/

"The within individual longitudinal stability in pre-adult IQ test scores presented here is similar to values reported by previous, albeit scarce work on the topic. Fluctuations in general IQ in six to 18-year-olds have been reported to be more than 15 points in 58% of participants, and more than 30 points in 9% of participants in the Berkeley Guidance Study of 222 children born between 1928–1929 [30]. Similarly, Hutchens found that over 60% of her 113 participants had an IQ score fluctuation of at least one standard deviation in repeated testing events [13]"

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-M34
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tie red View Post
    The "dumb" can become "gifted" and the "gifted", "dumb". I exagerate... but It looks like IQ can fluctuate widely, especially from childhood to adulthood.

"More generally, our results emphasize the possibility that an individual’s intellectual capacity relative to their peers can weaken or strengthen in the teenage years. This would be encouraging to those whose intellectual potential may improve; and a warning that early achievers may not maintain their potential."
    "Our interest was in the considerable variation observed between testing points at the individual level which ranged from −20 to +23 for VIQ, −18 to +17 for PIQ and −18 to +21 for FSIQ. "

"The within individual longitudinal stability in pre-adult IQ test scores presented here is similar to values reported by previous, albeit scarce work on the topic. Fluctuations in general IQ in six to 18-year-olds have been reported to be more than 15 points in 58% of participants, and more than 30 points in 9% of participants in the Berkeley Guidance Study of 222 children born between 1928–1929 [30]. Similarly, Hutchens found that over 60% of her 113 participants had an IQ score fluctuation of at least one standard deviation in repeated testing events [13]"
    When I was administered the WISC-V at age 15 my FSIQ was tested as 123. Nearly three years later at 18 before graduating I was administered WAIS-IV receiving a FSIQ of only 110. That is closer to where I was when I entered special education. So I’m my case FSIQ varied around a full standard deviation across the 5+ times I was tested by my district since age 6.

That quote regards the Stanford-Binet scale which is one test from childhood to adulthood. There are multiple Weschler tests for different ages. I read that for special Ed and former special Ed students significant difference between child and adult tests is common as observed in my case:

“ The present study investigated the stability of scores on the WISC-IV and WAIS-IV over an approximate six-year period. Previous research using older versions of the WISC and WAIS have suggested that these scales demonstrate strong stability of scores. Since research that has compared the stability of scores between the WISC-IV and the WAIS-IV is presently limited, the present study was necessary. The 40 participants in this study were previously identified special education students, who were selected utilizing archival data from a suburban school district. Test-retest stability was investigated using correlation coefficients and t-tests. The FSIQ and indexes demonstrated-moderate-to-strong-stability, with a low of 0.59 for the PSI and a high of-0.84 for the FSIQ. Subtest correlations ranged from a low of 0.34 for Matrix Reasoning to a high of 0.71 for Block Design. Statistically significant differences were found for the PSI and for the Similarities, Matrix Reasoning, Coding, and Symbol Search subtests. Analyses of individual scores indicated that the majority of the sample (65%) remained in the same classification category from initial testing to reevaluation testing. Frequency distributions noted that 77.5% percent of the sample demonstrated an approximate +/-10 point change in their FSIQ. Implications for School Psychologists and directions for future research are discussed.“
    https://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED555804

Last Online
    04-18-2024 @ 09:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Balkan taliban
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    Romania
    Y-DNA
    J-M92
    Taxonomy
    wog
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 9

3 Not allowed!

IQ tests only measure how fast you can make associations, which in real life is just one aspect of what makes a person appear smart to others.

From my experience, having the right personality and the right life experiences is far above a little bit of better 'computing power'. It does not matter how fast you think if your mind is not set on the correct goals, you'll wait in line with the rest.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Turkish-Karachay
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Politics
    Close to Center
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Milkaner View Post
    That is closer to where I was when I entered special education.
    If you don't mind, why did you enter special education?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    Euro
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 651

0 Not allowed!

Attachment 124189
    Attachment 124190
    Attachment 124191
    Attachment 124192

I took both the MENSA IQ challenge and the Cambridge Psychometrics IQ test. The results almost match each other, interestingly.

Mensa says that the Mensa IQ Challenge is provided for entertainment purposes only, and your score will not qualify you for Mensa.

While taking Cambridge's IQ test, I answered the questions in the second part. However, they say that if this is the only feedback you can see, then it means you chose not to answer more questions when prompted. However, in my case, this is not the case. I chose to answer more questions when the option was prompted, but somehow they did not take it into account.

In our country, if you are bad at math, you are dumb. If you are good at math, you are smart. I suck at math but I don't think I am dumb and this is what motivated me to take these online tests. Still, I don't think they qualify as authentic IQ tests which are conducted by licensed phycologists. Nonetheless, they may guess your range correctly, but I don't know.

There is also a study focused on the cognitive and neural aspects of gifted/excellent mathematical knowledge rather than explicitly delving into the correlation with IQ.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...t-a.h.b.mtitle

Edit: Mortimer shared that he achieved a score of 97 on the Mensa test, which aligns with his clinical IQ score of 98. Interestingly, he mentioned feeling tired during the testing and believes he could have performed slightly better if he were more rested.
    My cambridge score Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cambridge.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	124217

My WAIS-IV French results under supervision of a Neuropsychologist. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WAIS 4 fr.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	124218

total IQ of WAIS 4 is in fact 112.

My Fluid intelligence is more or less average which is in accordance with the cambridge score. I always struggled with mathematics since I was born...

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Turkish-Karachay
    Country
    Antarctica
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Politics
    Close to Center
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Interesting findings. I thought your IQ range stayed stable your whole life. As Mortimer's IQ results indicate, this score is approximately average (precisely average would be 100) and is higher than what 45% of people obtain. There's a 95% chance that if he were to take the test again, it would be between 88 and 108. So, I thought that it was very unlikely for Morty to score 85 or 115.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-M34
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

If you don't mind, why did you enter special education?
    I was evaluated because I was withdrawn in my first grade class and at risk of falling behind. I didn’t know teacher and classmate names for example. It was decided I might need to be pulled out to receive more individual attention. I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS and ADHD inattentive type although I don’t know if I meet the current DSM-V standards for ASD and ADHD. I stayed in special education until I graduated high school in 2020.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-M34
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

My cambridge score Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cambridge.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	124217

My WAIS-IV French results under supervision of a Neuropsychologist. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WAIS 4 fr.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	124218

total IQ of WAIS 4 is in fact 112.

My Fluid intelligence is more or less average which is in accordance with the cambridge score. I always struggled with mathematics since I was born...
    Why is it the processing speed section crossed out?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information