R-L21*
    mtDNA
    K1C2a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,710
    Given: 5,851

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumi View Post
    Osweo, my Grans family, the McGowans, are from Donegal in Ireland. As for my biological Mother, I don't know her mother's maiden name. All I know is her Dad's name, which is Barclay. And I'll never know my true heritage until I can afford a genetic test. For now, I just have to go by what the family records suggest. Considering that both my family name is Norse and the place that we originated from was a Viking settlement, I can only speculate.
    McGowan's one of those names that could be Scots or Irish anyway. Barclay's Anglo-Norman in origin, but very Scottish. You can find that name up in Shetland also.

You have an ancestral Castle North of us Finlay's, and East of ma Grannie's Innes side.

Being a Young from Dingwall, must have been Gaelic Norse in origin. But overall a lot of marriages with the Celts in the area.

Last Online
    10-04-2012 @ 12:28 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic/Norse
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia and Ireland
    Country
    Scotland
    Region
    Scotland
    Taxonomy
    Keltic Nordid
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Nah, they're deffo Irish, Graham
    The other members of my family havn't celebrated St. Patricks day for decades for nothing, and by Hell can they put on a party...
    "Beidh mé tú a leagan síos i measc an féar agus tú grá is breá an ghealach na réaltaí" - A dear friend

Last Online
    11-06-2016 @ 01:14 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Alberta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

0 Not allowed!

Just came across this article. It's a few months old, but relevant to this topic.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...l-relationship

Scotland and Norway: a special relationship?

Burns suppers are a Scottish export to Norway.

It always seemed too good to be true. And today it is all too easy to ridicule Alex Salmond for his vision of a far northern "arc of prosperity", flexing from Reykjavik down to Dublin then across Scotland to Oslo: when the Celtic Tiger was flattened on the road like any other poor moggy, Salmond's drive towards independence for Scotland seemed to falter.

But only long enough for Salmond to realign his focus. The pinpoint of his gaze is now directed with laser beam concentration on the country he has often described as the ideal model for a modern Scotland. Interviewed by the BBC a year ago he said: "Norway has breezed through recession more successfully than any other country in Europe … Guess which other country in northern Europe is backed by a trillion pounds of remaining value of oil and gas in the North Sea?"

The Scottish market for Norway's gas has become hugely important to Oslo. But officially Norway's ministers have been reluctant to imbue Salmond's perception of a Nordic version of the special relationship with too much political substance. At a popular level, however, Salmond's persistence may be reaping rewards. People in Norway seem increasingly to share his opinion that Scots and Norwegians were always meant to play together.

In the last decade, malt whisky clubs have spread across Norway like a virulent rash, retail sales of single malts doubling in the same period. Next month the Oslo Whisky Festival will be held for the eighth time. I have had the rather surreal pleasure of being toastmaster at several Burns suppers and always come home asking myself: What's got into them? Why on earth would Scandinavians without a drop of Celtic blood between them, gather to recite the Selkirk Grace, pipe in a haggis and honour the Ayrshire Bard?

Part of the answer was supplied last Friday, when Norwegian publishing house Cappelen Damm held a party to launch the first popular study of Shetland, Orkney, and the Hebrides. Kirsti Jareg, author of Øyene i Vest (The Islands in the West) hopes not so much to ride the wave of interest for Scotland, as to raise its swell into something more important: a new awareness of the strength of ancient bonds. She told me: "There is a great commonality of character to the two peoples. A peculiar duality of vulnerability and robustness that each of them recognises in the other."

Jareg has of course the annals of history and recent scientific studies to back up her point. Almost half of all people on Shetland today have Viking ancestry. On Orkney the figure is 30%. Northern Scotland remained under Norwegian rule and colonisation for centuries. Today's Viking hordes opt for short-haul planes rather than longboats. They find a culture they already feel they know, and a welcome they have hardly ever known. The isles in the west might become for Scandinavians what the Channel Islands were for the English before cheap airfares and the export of Irish bars, chip shops, and package tour ghettos: a taste of exotic culture with no risk of your roots drying out.

But Dark Age heritage and a shared taste for a quality tipple are hardly the makings of a political agenda. Indeed, insulated from the chills of recession, the traditionally protectionist Norwegians don't feel the same economic imperative as the Scottish government does to big up small-fry neighbours.

In the early 1990s, at exactly the same time as Norway became a creditor country, a new phrase was coined by isolationists to describe their home: The Different Country. And until now it has been the bon mot of modern Norwegian realpolitik. But other forces have to be at work on both sides of the North Sea to prepare for a new approaching reality, for the post-oil future.

Norwegians will look to how much of their values they share with neighbours, rather than how much they differ. In the long term there is both cultural logic and economic sense for Norway to work alongside Iceland, Ireland and Scotland towards a sustainable arc of prosperity.

Hatchling
    Last Online
    11-28-2017 @ 10:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish, Irish, Scandanavian
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    Independent Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Scandinavian DNA in Scots

Quote Originally Posted by AussieScott View Post
    The clan I belong to is of Scandinavian origin, in other words Vikings settled, some of the highlands...Shock horror. The same happened to parts of Ireland, the Danes went Viking on the black shields...

Get over it dude, if it was not for our Germanic/Pict/Celt/Scandinavian ancestry Scotland would not be Scotland.

Stop living in denial of reality.

What origins do you think The Bruce has?

Norse genes died out...well I'm going to get spit test and we'll see what that says, I bet your wrong.
    I was doing some 'googling' and stumbled upon your post. I was actually looking up info on "Elizabeth Warren" who claims she is Native American and her high cheek bones are evidence of it. Yup, its reeeeally old, but I wanted to respond to it. Ive been reading this thread from page 1....and have a long ways to go.

I have read some posts saying that there is none or hardly any Scandinavian DNA in Scotland and if there ever was, it has all pretty much 'died out'.

I come from 2 clans: MacMillan and MacFarlan. Both clans come from the Highlands (very close in fact), easily traceable, and both traveled back and forth to Ireland. My family is a obsessed with our heritage and I grew up believing I was 100% Scottish. My MacMillan clan can be traced way back...much more specifically we were close with Robert the Bruce...our clan fought for him and protected him when he was wanted.

Recently I had a DNA test done and it showed I am mostly Scottish 72% (not surprising) but also a bit of Irish 16% (again, records show the MacMillans traveled back and forth to Ireland)...........and Scandinavian 11%. I just wanted to set the record straight that as of 2017, Scandinavian DNA IS showing up in Scottish decedents. My father (MacMillan) has fair skin (never tans), black hair and blue eyes. My mom's side (MacFarlan) has mostly auburn hair, green eyes, and easily tans in the summer. Both sides have high cheek bones, btw. There is zero NA DNA in us (to take this full circle LOL) - as evidenced below....
    IMG-7102.jpg
    IMG-6837.JPG
    IMG-6152.JPG

Anyways, I am fascinated with my heritage and my clans...I am glad I stumbled upon this forum/thread. I have more reading to do in order to finish this thread...I am curious if you ever got your DNA tested and if so, what did it say. Maybe I will stumble upon your answer as I cont to read.

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 354142434445

Thread Information