Neutrality has for centuries been a part of European politics. It is very significant therefore that Finland and Sweden have recently decided to abandon their neutrality to seek out NATO membership. In this video I would like to discuss what the consequences for the other neutral states of Europe may consequently be.

Correcting some errors in the video.

1: Swiss mandatory military service does not last 5 years. I have a Swiss friend who told me that it took him 5 years to complete his service. And I have assumed from then on that it takes 5 years. I did not know that the Swiss have the option of splitting up their mandatory service over a time period of 5 years or completing it all at once within one single year. In actuality, Swiss mandatory military service lasts 245 days.

2: Czechoslovakia was not allied to Britain, but only to France, before the Munich agreement.

Clearing up misunderstandings:

BAE is not a Swedish defense corporation, but a British one. It aquired the Swedish arms manufacturer Bofors in the 2000s. When editing the video I was unsure if I should add in the old Bofors logo, or the BAE logo. If I added the Bofors logo, people would have pointed out that Bofors no longer exists, if I added the BAE logo, people would have pointed out that the company is British. In the end I chose to go with the BAE logo, because even though it is owned principally by the British and based in Britain, BAE operates a substantial arms industry in Sweden. The now famous "NLAW" for example was mainly developed in Sweden.