All Politicians Are Bastards
    Religion
    MGTOW
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,190
    Given: 8,122

0 Not allowed!

Default Finland and Sweden joining NATO and what it means for Europe

When Russia invaded Ukraine, one of the reasons cited was the need to 'demilitarise' Ukraine and prevent the expansion of NATO.

In doing so, it convinced the nations of Finland and Sweden to break with long traditions of non-alignment with military alliances (and strong public support for that stance) and apply to join NATO.

In some ways, this must seem like a natural step. Both Finland and Sweden are members of the EU and NATO partners, which hardly made it unclear which side of the metaphorical iron curtain they favoured. There's also reason to suggest this might not change as much as some networks are suggesting, with both nations expressing their lack of desire for permanent NATO bases in their territory or any sort of nuclear weapons sharing.

But in other ways, this move is a tremendous boost to NATO and a disastrous strategic reverse for Russia.

In this episode, I look at the history of Swedish and Finnish neutrality (and shift to non-alignment in the post cold war era), examine what these two nations would bring to NATO, and what that means for Europe, Russia, the USA, and global peace and security.

I want to stress that while I talk about the relevance of these new NATO members in the context of certain military scenarios that have appeared on Russian TV, I don't believe any of those are at all likely. They're used because they help illustrate the point, and because when something appears on Russian TV, you can't argue that there's zero chance of that being on the Kremlin's bucket list.

Also, because I'm aware the word is used differently around the world, please note that when I'm using the term 'liberal' in reference to the post-war order, I'm referring to the system of institutions, rules, and norms the victorious powers put in place after WW2 rather than any contemporary politics.

I'd also ask you to check the pinned comment regarding the question of how large the Swedish army is and what to include or not include in that figure.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

GiCELIN ME FECIT Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 10:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno-Ugric
    Ethnicity
    Southwest Finn
    Country
    Finland
    Y-DNA
    N-Y50010
    mtDNA
    H69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 73

0 Not allowed!

Well. As a Finn i can´t be so intelligent... One thing is sure. There are nomore airspace violation. See...There is a possibility that we shoot them down. This is one conseqence of Nato membership. Sweden is also in Nato now. Baltic Sea is Nato´s inland sea. Thanks to geopolitical genius Putin.

Thread Information