Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: IQ maps of Europe and the World (PISA scores)

Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Slovenian
    Country
    New Zealand
    Politics
    Right wing
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,196
    Given: 677

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by kessaras View Post
    PISA is not an essentially IQ test. It aims to measure 15-year-olds’ ability to use their reading, mathematics and science knowledge and skills to meet real-life challenges.
    Oops

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...0and%20so%20on.

"Counter-example #1: Thailand and UAE

Thailand scored 94 IQ and UAE scored 84 IQ as per international cherry-picked research.

But actual PISA scores are:

PISA 2018 Worldwide Ranking – average score of mathematics, science and reading
    ...Read more
    https://factsmaps.com/pisa-2018-worl...ience-reading/
    For Thailand: 412 (Average), UAE: 435 (Average)

Implying IQ of 85 in Thailand and 90 in UAE."
    This is because standard IQ test for a given countries vary significantly from study to study. If we look at latest dataset from Lynn and Bekcer, Slovenia (my country) IQ results vary from 92 to 103 (11 points). For Serbia they vary even more drastically. From 82 to 107 (25 points). For Central American countries IQ from standard tests is around 60 and the studies are done mostly on villagers. Do you really Central America is 10 points dumber than SubSaharan Africa? PISA scores converted to IQ for Central America are around 80. Which one sounds more plausible to you for central America, 60 or 80? This variation in standard IQ test results is because participants for standard IQ test aren't selected randomly from the entire population. Sometimes they test smarter people, sometimes dumber. For countries that only have one or two studies, IQ test only aren't reliable. This is why Lynn and Becker (actual experts) also use Student Assesment studies like PISA. PISA doesn't have this issue.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Peloponnese
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Pontid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,452
    Given: 7,901

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Supercomputer View Post
    Oops

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...0and%20so%20on.

This is because standard IQ test for a given countries vary significantly from study to study. If we look at latest dataset from Lynn and Bekcer, Slovenia (my country) IQ results vary from 92 to 103 (11 points). For Serbia they vary even more drastically. From 82 to 107 (25 points). For Central American countries IQ from standard tests is around 60 and the studies are done mostly on villagers. Do you really Central America is 10 points dumber than SubSaharan Africa? PISA scores converted to IQ for Central America are around 80. Which one sounds more plausible to you for central America, 60 or 80? This variation in standard IQ test results is because participants for standard IQ test aren't selected randomly from the entire population. Sometimes they test smarter people, sometimes dumber. For countries that only have one or two studies, IQ test only aren't reliable. This is why Lynn and Becker (actual experts) also use Student Assesment studies like PISA. PISA doesn't have this issue.
    PISA has many other issues, which I've mentioned in very much particular detail in previous replies, which comes from the OECD itself, which is the organisation conducting it. Don't act as if there're not fallacies.
    "Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not"
    - Επίκουρος

Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Slovenian
    Country
    New Zealand
    Politics
    Right wing
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,196
    Given: 677

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
    PISA has many other issues, which I've mentioned in very much particular detail in previous replies, which comes from the OECD itself, which is the organisation conducting it. Don't act as if there're not fallacies.
    No data on IQ is perfect, but I believe PISA is better than any other data for the reasons I've listed. Also you have to realize that genetics is a huge taboo socially especially when comparing how good certain countries score on mental tests. Therefor OECD itself tends to overemphasize environmental explanations and downplay genetics because of this.
    Last edited by Supercomputer; 02-18-2024 at 08:38 AM.

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,450
    Given: 31,624

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BakersfieldChimp View Post
    I got into Mensa in college. I went to one meet up and they were crazier than I am.

I taught myself to "pass for normal" early on and I have no regrets.
    I did the maximum score on their website test, which was 126 when I did it - they specifically made it to that maximum as the minimum score to pass their test is 132. then I didn't pass their test where I was in person to a test room, and they don't tell you your score, only if you passed or not.

however, a close friend and one former work colleague passed the test, though they didn't join Mensa as an organization. and a third person, an old and close friend from my home village area has formally tested above 132 though not with Mensa.

what I want to say is that neither of these three people have an intellectual interest in culture, art or literature. one is a programmer, the other is not working but has a well enough financial situation, that allows it, the last one was a researcher in a theoretical scientific field. what I want to say is that IQ alone doesn't say much about people - of the three, two are spiritual to a degree, one of which is even devout Orthodox. two are very liberal, one with a bit of a conservative pull, while one of them is almost far right but not in a nazi way, but far right economically, like anarcho-capitalist, like "screw you, make it on your own, I won't help anyone, each for himself, no pity for no one" etc, sort of uncaring character, also with an interest in eugenics etc. one of them reads a lot, but reads mostly what could be considered lower quality literature, sometimes bordering kitsch, and has a bit of a kitsch taste in art as well.

so, see, what does IQ tell you? cannot tell you if a person is kind or unkind, cannot tell you if someone is wise (I consider at least two of the three acquaintances mentioned to be not an example of wise people to the level of their IQ, not to say that they aren't wise, but they are just like average people in wisdom, which I consider based on their life choices and failures). they also aren't cultured people, like really intellectual, to have a culture of high literature, high art, essays, philosophy etc. in these regards I differ as I have an interest in these and I do read, although I have limited time due to full job, family, two kids, commute etc. so a person with a very high IQ but otherwise not cultured, not excelling in his job, not making a contribution to society and not even helping himself with that high IQ for a better life, what real advantage does that person have? not saying lower IQ people do better, no, just saying that unfortunately without proper education and culture, high IQ is just a number. personal experiences are decisive in shaping that high IQ into something you can use to improve your life, but sometimes very high IQ people are so arrogant and self-assured that they learn nothing from their experiences, because they consider themselves above everyone else because of their exceptional IQ, so sometimes they remain, ironically, naive and childish and cannot make a happy life because of their spoiled child attitude. so you need high IQ + education + self-reflection + being honest to yourself and to your flaws and learn from them + desire and drive to change, to admit your mistakes and apologize etc.

and to link it to PISA: I find the results relevant and showing the schooling level of a nation, which then reflects socially. and we should aim to much better schooling levels and that is achievable even with average and lower IQ people with the right methods. everyone can be kind and educated, no matter the IQ, we just need to create the environment for that, but it's not easy, of course, and stricter social/political systems have been better at achieving better education on average for the masses and safer schools for kids and teachers

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Peloponnese
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Pontid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,452
    Given: 7,901

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Supercomputer View Post
    No data on IQ is perfect, but I believe PISA is better than any other data for the reasons I've listed. Also you have to realize that genetics is a huge taboo socially especially when comparing how good certain countries score on mental tests. Therefor OECD itself tends to overemphasize environmental explanations and downplay genetics because of this.
    Except PISA in itself is focusing on one particular group, with a methodology which on its own showcases many parametres that show results that aren't representative.

As for genetics, don't try explaining to me that they're a subject that it's still taboo. I know that all too well already. It's just that PISA doesn't even explain that. Because, and you have to take it into consideration: PISA tests examine the entire student population, without distinctions between races. Because if that was the case, we'd know exactly the scores of each race in any OECD member that is multicultural. But we don't. We, however, have meticulous data stemming from actual IQ test studies.
    "Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not"
    - Επίκουρος

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information