United States
    Politics
    anti-marxist, antimanelist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 535
    Given: 334

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
    Yeah I see this type often in my gym, Romanians are nice people, I actually like them, there is also other types which I can recognise like dinarid/ norid types as well, I was just being humorous as well lol
    Sure, but the gym crowd is different from regular people.

Take a look at the people in the video below and compare them with your mental image of Romanians. These people are not media personalities, just regular folks working in private enterprises. They have common Romanian faces:

Banned
    Last Online
    04-24-2024 @ 01:53 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Florida
    Ethnicity
    Bada Bing!
    Ancestry
    Whoa! It's my business
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 89

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dviz View Post
    Romanian cuisine is a mixture of East Med (Turkish/Lebanese) with some Slavic and Germanic cuisine.

Traditional Romanian cuisine has very little Italian influence, although in the past 20 years, Italian cuisine is growing in popularity in Romania, mainly because Romanians bring cooking practices from Italy, but also Italian entrepreneurs are moving to Romania in significant numbers in certain Romanian cities.
    You tellin me what I think you tellin me? That Romania doesn't have red sauce! that is a crime..ohhhhh Marone!

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,449
    Given: 31,622

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Duarte View Post
    You tellin me what I think you tellin me? That Romania doesn't have red sauce! that is a crime..ohhhhh Marone!
    urban Romanians eat a lot of pizza, burgers and kebab that they buy, don't cook at home.

at home pasta is popular enough, because it's so simple to cook.

french fries are also hugely popular because of simplicity and low price of potatoes. this is cooked at home.

scrambled eggs and fried eggs are also a staple.

people cook "traditional" stuff only or mostly at special events, if they do it (we never cook anything traditional in my home, we don't like traditional food at all, it's overly fat and tasteless, we go for the pizza, burger, kebab, hummus etc like so many do in the urban areas; though we are totally peasants as origin and upbringing).

several foreigners told me that when they feel someone smelling very strong like garlic or onion they know it's a Romanian. we love eating these, I sometimes just take a clove of garlic and eat it as it is. my wife hates it

Romanians in the West tend to have a bit of a different style that Romania went over for a couple of years now, we call it cocalar, they pluck their eyebrows, they wear skinny jeans, you can see their ankles etc awful style, but it's by no means the mainstream style on here, it's in relation to city vs small town vs rural areas and then by social class etc, people dress in a quite diverse manner, some pass in Tajikistan, some in Milan though my simple style is not the most common either, for example just wearing a pair of simple blue or black jeans and a no-logo simple black or navy t-shirt is seen as too simple by the average Romanian man, so I sometimes stand out because of simplicity, they tend to like to style themselves a bit more and work on their haircuts, they have a bit of Italian legacy after all haha
    Last edited by Nurzat; 01-18-2024 at 06:19 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-24-2024 @ 01:53 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Florida
    Ethnicity
    Bada Bing!
    Ancestry
    Whoa! It's my business
    Country
    Antarctica
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 89

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurzat View Post
    urban Romanians eat a lot of pizza, burgers and kebab that they buy, don't cook at home.

at home pasta is popular enough, because it's so simple to cook.

french fries are also hugely popular because of simplicity and low price of potatoes. this is cooked at home.

scrambled eggs and fried eggs are also a staple.

people cook "traditional" stuff only or mostly at special events, if they do it (we never cook anything traditional in my home, we don't like traditional food at all, it's overly fat and tasteless, we go for the pizza, burger, kebab, hummus etc like so many do in the urban areas; though we are totally peasants as origin and upbringing).

several foreigners told me that when they feel someone smelling very strong like garlic or onion they know it's a Romanian. we love eating these, I sometimes just take a clove of garlic and eat it as it is. my wife hates it

Romanians in the West tend to have a bit of a different style that Romania went over for a couple of years now, we call it cocalar, they pluck their eyebrows, they wear skinny jeans, you can see their ankles etc awful style, but it's by no means the mainstream style on here, it's in relation to city vs small town vs rural areas and then by social class etc, people dress in a quite diverse manner, some pass in Tajikistan, some in Milan though my simple style is not the most common either, for example just wearing a pair of simple blue or black jeans and a no-logo simple black or navy t-shirt is seen as too simple by the average Romanian man, so I sometimes stand out because of simplicity, they tend to like to style themselves a bit more and work on their haircuts, they have a bit of Italian legacy after all haha
    you Romanians have a lot in common with us New Jersey Italians. I grew up in Jersey but live in Florida now. I eat tons of garlic myself and I have a white non-Italian gf originally from Tennessee and she says it makes me stink. I don't care because it is worth it for the taste.

Last Online
    Today @ 05:04 AM
    Ethnicity
    romanian canadian
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 181

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MandM View Post
    You mean the theory is that they are mostly descendents of Dacians.. correct me if am wrong but its mostly the location of Romania that theory exist? Its the same with Albanians because there country is in were illyria was they belive all of them are illyrians, when dna says they are more mixed paleobalkan the just illyrians??
    Oh boy your going to piss a lot of Albanians with this one

Last Online
    02-02-2024 @ 11:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Nederlander
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Right is right
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 106

0 Not allowed!

Easy, if you forget your phone on the table at a bar, realise you forgot it, come back and see a guy nervously leaving quickly....that's how you identify a Romanian.

Last Online
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Balkanic
    Ethnicity
    Shepherd
    Ancestry
    Mostly Romanian, minor Serbian
    Country
    Serbia
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 --> E-FTB6334
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Taxonomy
    Dinaro-Med
    Religion
    Orthodox-Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,984
    Given: 1,327

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ioas12 View Post
    Oh boy your going to piss a lot of Albanians with this one
    Well have to do somthing with my free time ;p ahh most of them who
    follow genetics know this is true, its just a hard pill to swallow for many of them because all there life they have told them tha ALL of the re illyrians, just go to eupedia there you have Albanians opening threds on witch haplo group is the real illyrian one

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:13 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Politics
    Independent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,178
    Given: 3,225

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    Like Bulgarians but more delicate and Med, occassionaly with Turan touch. Some others just look Slavic so those you won't be able to recognize.
    Romanians have more Dinarid tendency, and some have a pan-Euro look rather than Slavic.

Quote Originally Posted by Duarte View Post
    If they're like Italians do they eat med food, pasta, seafood, olive oil diet?
    These are all very popular in Romania, but not part of our traditional cuisine.

We traditionally eat soups, cheese and meat, with fish also being traditional in certain areas. Our cuisine is mainly pastoral in origin.

Quote Originally Posted by dviz View Post
    Romanian cuisine is a mixture of East Med (Turkish/Lebanese) with some Slavic and Germanic cuisine.

Traditional Romanian cuisine has very little Italian influence, although in the past 20 years, Italian cuisine is growing in popularity in Romania, mainly because Romanians bring cooking practices from Italy, but also Italian entrepreneurs are moving to Romania in significant numbers in certain Romanian cities.
    Romania's national dish is Mamaliga, which is about the same as Polenta, a staple food in Italy (especially in Northern Italy). They also eat it with cheese or meat.
    Last edited by Tommie; 01-19-2024 at 05:45 AM.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:13 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Politics
    Independent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,178
    Given: 3,225

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MandM View Post
    You mean the theory is that they are mostly descendents of Dacians.. correct me if am wrong but its mostly the location of Romania that theory exist? Its the same with Albanians because there country is in were illyria was they belive all of them are illyrians, when dna says they are more mixed paleobalkan the just illyrians??
    Of course we're not just Dacians, but DNA studies show Romanians are the closest people to the population that lived some 2,000 years ago on the territory of Romania.

Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 11:04 PM
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Compared to other Europeans they are more passable in Turkey and Afghanistan (I hope this statement is not controversial).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information