Human
    Country
    Burkina-Faso
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 494
    Given: 747

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by chinshen View Post
    Aren't you mixing language family with genetics here?
    Populations can change their spoken language which has happened in some instances to many ethnic groups, but their genes stay the same.
    Are you implying there was a conversion of either Assyrians or Iranians into each group?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    Burkina-Faso
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
    I don't think levantines are any lighter than iranians in terms of skin tone. People need to start critical thinking a little more before they compare a massive region of Iran with a much smaller area of Levant . Most Iranians inhabit the north/central/west plains not the south where the majority of the darker skinned Iranians are from. They also have different origins from their northern counterparts just like levantines differ from Guif Arabs.

Gazans right now include many Palestinian refugees from other regions of Palestine, so we don't know who is a native Gazan and who is a refugee. I don't think they would differ much, for instance Omar Suleiman is not Gazan yet he looks Egyptian

From my experience, on average, Lebanese people tend to be lighter and somewhat shorter than Iranians and tend to have a higher percentage of curly hair.

Yes, Iran is a vast country and the Levant for that matter Lebanon is a small country so comparing the two may not be valid.

It is not surprising to see a Palestinian with an Egyptian appearance as there has been a historical connection between the Levant and Egypt and Palestinians more so than the rest of the Levant.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    Burkina-Faso
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Yep exactly what I said before. I also suspect levantines have practiced more selective breeding for lighter skin than Iranians, as usually out of the married couples it usually always the woman who is lighter than the dark husband.
    I don't know if they practiced more selective breeding, but the Lebanese ethnic groups are pretty endogamous, with the Druze being a good example. Religious minorities in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) had to practice endogamy, or they would be absorbed by the larger groups. Therefore, Assyrians, Yazidis, Maronites, Alawites, Armenians, and Jews have been practicing endogamy for centuries. In the case of Lebanon, its fractured geography tends to create these divisions.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,320
    Given: 1,211

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Negah View Post
    From my experience, on average, Lebanese people tend to be lighter and somewhat shorter than Iranians and tend to have a higher percentage of curly hair.

Yes, Iran is a vast country and the Levant for that matter Lebanon is a small country so comparing the two may not be valid.

It is not surprising to see a Palestinian with an Egyptian appearance as there has been a historical connection between the Levant and Egypt and Palestinians more so than the rest of the Levant.
    Comparing Iran to Lebanon is not really doing much as Lebanon is literally the size of a small province of Iran, however I have noticed people downplay the dark curly haired types of Lebanese for some reason.

I made a thread about the main types present among Lebs a while back here

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...these-Lebanese

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    @
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 525
    Given: 787

0 Not allowed!

Are you implying there was a conversion of either Assyrians or Iranians into each group?
    No, no conversions since both Assyrians and Iranians are ethnic groups and not religions.

Both have lived side by side for almost three thousand years and been dominating each other for almost two thousand years. initially the Assyrian dominated the Persians and then the Persians dominating the Assyrians from about 450 B,C until the Arab conquest of both in about 650 A.D.

So there has to be some mixing especially before the conversion of Assyrians to Christianity in the first century A.D and the conversion of Persians to Islam in the seventh century AD.
    Just look at the arts and architecture of Nineveh and Persepolis and you can see the similarities.
    Do you think all that political and cultural domination happened, but there was no ethnic mixing?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    Burkina-Faso
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by chinshen View Post
    No, no conversions since both Assyrians and Iranians are ethnic groups and not religions.

Both have lived side by side for almost three thousand years and been dominating each other for almost two thousand years. initially the Assyrian dominated the Persians and then the Persians dominating the Assyrians from about 450 B,C until the Arab conquest of both in about 650 A.D.

So there has to be some mixing especially before the conversion of Assyrians to Christianity in the first century A.D and the conversion of Persians to Islam in the seventh century AD.
    Just look at the arts and architecture of Nineveh and Persepolis and you can see the similarities.
    Do you think all that political and cultural domination happened, but there was no ethnic mixing?

Without a doubt, the Assyrians had a tremendous impact on Iran during the period before the arrival of Islam, and there was undoubtedly some degree of blending between the two. But even now, some groups—such as Iraqi Jews, Armenians, Levantine groups, etc.—have closer genetic ties to the Assyrian people. Which leads me to think that the two co-existed next to each other without a great deal of mixing. Of course, I could be wrong, but I agree with you that there had to be a degree of mixing between them.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    Burkina-Faso
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Comparing Iran to Lebanon is not really doing much as Lebanon is literally the size of a small province of Iran, however I have noticed people downplay the dark curly haired types of Lebanese for some reason.

I made a thread about the main types present among Lebs a while back here

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...these-Lebanese
    Nice thread.

Curly and wavy hair is prevalent in the Middle East, but the number of Lebanese who have such hair is higher than Iran.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    @
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 525
    Given: 787

3 Not allowed!

Without a doubt, the Assyrians had a tremendous impact on Iran during the period before the arrival of Islam, and there was undoubtedly some degree of blending between the two. But even now, some groups—such as Iraqi Jews, Armenians, Levantine groups, etc.—have closer genetic ties to the Assyrian people. Which leads me to think that the two co-existed next to each other without a great deal of mixing. Of course, I could be wrong, but I agree with you that there had to be a degree of mixing between them.
    What you said is true. Assyrians more than the other mentioned groups have high percentage of Iran Neolithic which is not really Iranian, but a shared ancient ancestry between Assyrians and Iranians and not even to mention shared CHG too.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information