Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,332
    Given: 1,215

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
    Average faces for all 4

Afghan average ( based on 53 cricketers)

Seems that Iranians and Afghans are more robust than their levantine counterparts who are more gracile. The Iranian and Afghan average also look very similar to each other whilst the Syrian, Lebanese and Palestinian averages look quite similar.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    Burkina-Faso
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 494
    Given: 748

0 Not allowed!

He's from northeast Syria, could be ( not confirmed ) either Assyrian or Kurdish, which explains the robust iranid look
    Fahd Youssef is Assyrian and not Kurdish.

Out of curiosity Why would Assyrians have a robust Iranid look?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Negah View Post
    Fahd Youssef is Assyrian and not Kurdish.

Out of curiosity Why would Assyrians have a robust Iranid look?
    Living in close proximity with Kurds and Iranic people, they also lack Arab admxiture which could mean they are more closer to the original inhabitants of Mesopatamia who coincidentally, the ancient Persians and Medes were also closely linked with .

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    Burkina-Faso
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Living in close proximity with Kurds and Iranic people, they also lack Arab admxiture which could mean they are more closer to the original inhabitants of Mesopatamia who coincidentally, the ancient Persians and Medes were also closely linked with .
    Is that based on the recent studies that you have, and if so, please do share? I know that Assyrians are Northern Mesopotamians and Semitic and have genetic similarities to Iraqi Jews.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Is that based on the recent studies that you have, and if so, please do share? I know that Assyrians are Northern Mesopotamians and Semitic and have genetic similarities to Iraqi Jews.
    Nope it's just my conclusion based on relative perception which could be entirely false.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    Burkina-Faso
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Manolis View Post
    The Lebanese team confirm a thought I've had: the Lebanese whiteness is totally overrated. And even in the Syrian squad I only see two that could pass in Southern Europe. Iranians are way closer to a European look.
    From my experience, compared to their Syrian counterparts, Lebanese people are less diversified and show less range of variety, with many groups in the country being highly inbred and homogenous. Endogomy of various kinds has been practiced by the majority of groups. Nonetheless, the darker Syrians may be darker, and the lighter Syrians may be lighter than Lebanese. Syrians have a wider diversity.
    Last edited by Negah; 02-18-2024 at 11:47 PM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    Burkina-Faso
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    Lebanese and Syrians look much more European passing while Iranians and Palestinians are notably more exotic and just look brown
    Although Levantines do have lighter skin than Iranians, I believe this distinction is exaggerated. Collectively, all four groups have a strikingly Middle Eastern appearance and would be noticeable in any region of Europe. To be honest, a few Syrian players stand out as the darkest players in the set, and a few Lebanese players appear to be darker than any Iranian player. Additionally, only one Lebanese player has light eyes, compared to four or five Iranian players. Therefore, I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that much more. Plus, Palestinians share a high percentage of overlap with Syrians and Lebanese. However, Gazaians tend to be darker than many Levantine groups.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Ethnicity
    @
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 528
    Given: 787

0 Not allowed!

Aren't you mixing language family with genetics here?
    Populations can change their spoken language which has happened in some instances to many ethnic groups, but their genes stay the same.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Although Levantines do have lighter skin than Iranians, I believe this distinction is exaggerated. Collectively, all four groups have a strikingly Middle Eastern appearance and would be noticeable in any region of Europe. To be honest, a few Syrian players stand out as the darkest players in the set, and a few Lebanese players appear to be darker than any Iranian player. Additionally, only one Lebanese player has light eyes, compared to four or five Iranian players. Therefore, I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that much more. Plus, Palestinians share a high percentage of overlap with Syrians and Lebanese. However, Gazaians tend to be darker than many Levantine groups.
    I don't think levantines are any lighter than iranians in terms of skin tone. People need to start critical thinking a little more before they compare a massive region of Iran with a much smaller area of Levant . Most Iranians inhabit the north/central/west plains not the south where the majority of the darker skinned Iranians are from. They also have different origins from their northern counterparts just like levantines differ from Guif Arabs.

Gazans right now include many Palestinian refugees from other regions of Palestine, so we don't know who is a native Gazan and who is a refugee. I don't think they would differ much, for instance Omar Suleiman is not Gazan yet he looks Egyptian

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

From my experience, compared to their Syrian counterparts, Lebanese people are less diversified and show less range of variety, with many groups in the country being highly inbred and homogenous. Endogomy of various kinds has been practiced by the majority of groups. Nonetheless, the darker Syrians may be darker, and the lighter Syrians may be lighter than Lebanese. Syrians have a wider diversity.
    Yep exactly what I said before. I also suspect levantines have practiced more selective breeding for lighter skin than Iranians, as usually out of the married couples it usually always the woman who is lighter than the dark husband.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information