Ethnicity
    Mameluco paulista
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 54

2 Not allowed!

This known genetic study was made in some cities in the interior of Brazil (something that we don't find so easily) and with overlaps with the geographical map Etelfrido posted regarding Bahia and what Jingle Bell stated about differences within this state:

The area closer to the littoral (Mata-Atlântica) is more African and less Euro, while Western Bahia (Caatinga) seems way more Euro.

A map of Bahia to make the comparison easier:

Last Online
    04-13-2024 @ 02:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mameluco paulista
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

As stated before, Bahia is quite different from the other Northeastern states in many aspects. This old geographical division of the Brazilian territory would fit better such cultural differences (which is one of the reasons the map was drawn like that):

Also, Maranhão is grouped a little apart from the other Northeastern states partly because of their Amazonical influence.

I believe the map above is from the 1940s.

Viscount of Sabugosa
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Chimera
    Ethnicity
    Frankenstein's Creature
    Ancestry
    Elwetritsch
    Country
    Brazil
    Taxonomy
    Südatlantid/Pamp(as)id
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 711
    Given: 660

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Camargo View Post
    As stated before, Bahia is quite different from the other Northeastern states in many aspects. This old geographical division of the Brazilian territory would fit better such cultural differences (which is one of the reasons the map was drawn like that):

Also, Maranhão is grouped a little apart from the other Northeastern states partly because of their Amazonical influence.

I believe the map above is from the 1940s.
    You're correct, that's from 1945.

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...ivas-do-Brasil

"Preta, Preta, Pretinha . . ." Jingle Bell's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sertanejo Nordestino, Crioulo, Romance.
    Ethnicity
    Bahian (Agreste & Zona da Mata), Portuguese (Center & North).
    Ancestry
    (BR) Sesmaria de Peixoto Viegas & Recôncavo, (PT) Aveiro, Porto.
    Country
    Brazil
    Y-DNA
    E-L515.
    mtDNA
    L2c4.
    Taxonomy
    Mulatto (Med + Sudanid).
    Hero
    Novos Baianos.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,420
    Given: 4,234

1 Not allowed!

This known genetic study was made in some cities in the interior of Brazil (something that we don't find so easily) and with overlaps with the geographical map Etelfrido posted regarding Bahia and what Jingle Bell stated about differences within this state:

The area closer to the littoral (Mata-Atlântica) is more African and less Euro, while Western Bahia (Caatinga) seems way more Euro.

A map of Bahia to make the comparison easier:

A map from the historical-cultural groups of Brazil:

another one more simple:

Bahia, unlike others states of NE, was not a "Província povoada" but rather a "Província populadora", Ceará for example received few direct imigrants, like a colono that imigrated from Portugal directly to Ceará, but rather thats colonizers settled in Bahia (Litoral Norte) and Pernambuco (Olinda & Recife) and that 2 centres of povoament, colonized the all rest of NE, part of Minas and almost all North region during the process of interiorization:

The main center of that population process was Salvador, and thats "Vaqueiros/Sertanistas" that imigrated towards the "Sertões" were a reflex of the colonial Salvador, mainly of Cablocos/Mamelucos and Mulattos, with also a a lot of white brazilians or portugueses, but they did not bring slaves bcs the Sertão were alread full of Sertanidas which worked to that seniors (principally Casa da Torre dos Ávilla), Quilombos and Natives to alread serve as work-hand.
    "Desenvolveu-se a pecuária extensiva, que não necessitava de terras apropriadas e nem exigia pessoal treinado. Os "fábricas", subordinados aos vaqueiros, cuidavam dos rebanhos e mantinham roças para sua subsistência. Recebiam, às vezes, uma pequena remuneração anual. Eram homens livres, índios, mamelucos, mestiços e negros libertos. Houve poucos trabalhadores escravos na atividade pastoril nordestina." - https://www.multirio.rj.gov.br/histo...da_sertao.html

And so that White-Mestiço-Mulatto population was preserved in Sertão because they did not experienced many waves of African slaves in Interior, so the SSA DNA contribuition was much much lesser, unlike Salvador that went from a majority Pardo-White population to a Pardo-Black with the bigger waves of slaves that were mainly to litoral os state (Sec XVIII & XIV) .

Also culturally, Salvador/Litoral started to be a centre of "African culture" just in 1800's which the increase of number of slaves, before that the portuguese culture were much stronger, unlike Sertão that preserved that culture and ancetry in Bahia, also have the zones of transition like Agreste, which better representates the average of state that would be about 55% Portuguese, 40% SSA and 5% Indigenous.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6905439/

Sertão would be a bit more, probably about the 60% European, while Salvador is about 40%
    https://www.pnas.org/doi/pdf/10.1073/pnas.1504447112
    Interestingly, Bahia and Minas Gerais are one of the less Indigenous states in Brazil, Minas its abt Terceroon/Quadroon and Bahia Inverse Terceroon in Reconcavo and Terceroon in Sertão/North.
    More Details about my Bahian & Portuguese ancestry:
    Spoiler!

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Mameluco paulista
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I've never been to the interior of Bahia myself (I only visited Salvador and the littoral when I was a child), so I can only speak about it based on what I've seen here on the internet (anthro/architecture and urbanism/football/music/History and Geography forums and sites) or other people told me (I know a lot of people from Bahia, both the capital and the interior).

I once met a person from Guanambi, in the Southwestern part of Bahia. Initially, I tought he was from Northern Minas (his accent was quite different from the people from Salvador I knew). Talking about his city, I was really surprised how different it was from what I knew, at that time, about Bahia. The accent was different (as I said), the culture was different, the geography was different and so on.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Brazil
    Y-DNA
    E-L515.
    mtDNA
    L2c4.
    Taxonomy
    Mulatto (Med + Sudanid).
    Hero
    Novos Baianos.
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I've never been to the interior of Bahia myself (I only visited Salvador and the littoral when I was a child), so I can only speak about it based on what I've seen here on the internet (anthro/architecture and urbanism/football/music/History and Geography forums and sites) or other people told me (I know a lot of people from Bahia, both the capital and the interior).

I once met a person from Guanambi, in the Southwestern part of Bahia. Initially, I tought he was from Northern Minas (his accent was quite different from the people from Salvador I knew). Talking about his city, I was really surprised how different it was from what I knew, at that time, about Bahia. The accent was different (as I said), the culture was different, the geography was different and so on.
    Yeah if i could divide Bahia would be "Reconcâvo canavieiro", the classic afro-brazilian culture of Salvador and region, the "South/Geraizeiro" from that area closer to ES & MG, the Sertão (Basically all the rest) and the Agreste (A Transitional area btw Recôncavo & Sertão), divide more than that creates overlap i think, 4 regions is enough culturally speaking.
    Guanambi its heavily related to North Minas/gerazeiro culture
    Spoiler!

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Mameluco paulista
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Interestingly, Bahia and Minas Gerais are one of the less Indigenous states in Brazil, Minas its abt Terceroon/Quadroon and Bahia Inverse Terceroon in Reconcavo and Terceroon in Sertão/North.
    Minas, as a whole, is indeed probably the least indigenous influenced Brazilian state, but some regions have more amerindian influence than others, altought they are way less populated that the main areas of settlement in that state.

The Southwestern ("Sul de Minas" as most people say) and the Triângulo regions still have some more amerindian admix due to the nature of their settlement. Mostly settled by descendents of the paulista mamelucos in the late XVIII century, both regions didn't receive that much immigration in the late XIX/early XX century (as I covered in another thread), and the African influence in both regions was considerable lower than in the mining regions of Ouro Preto, Sabará, Serro etc.

The genetic map I posted before show that they are in the 10~20% amerindian influence range, while the rest of Minas, in the same map, is less than 10% on average.

Looking on crowds pictures of these regions, is way more common to find people showing amerindian traits than in the Belo Horizonte Metropolitan Region. But, again, both regions combined have no more than 20% of Minas' population, so they can't be taken as a representation of the state as a whole.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Mameluco paulista
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle Bell View Post
    Guanambi its heavily related to North Minas/gerazeiro culture
    Funny enough, that guy from Guanambi was living in Minas at the time.

I don't know how common is in Bahia to have people from other states living there, but I've heard baianos saying that there were a lot of mineiros in some areas (they were probably exaggerating).

I did a quick search here and found some cities with 5~10% (and others with 10~20%) of their population born in Minas, but I believe it is close to the border.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Brazil
    Y-DNA
    E-L515.
    mtDNA
    L2c4.
    Taxonomy
    Mulatto (Med + Sudanid).
    Hero
    Novos Baianos.
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Funny enough, that guy from Guanambi was living in Minas at the time.

I don't know how common is in Bahia to have people from other states living there, but I've heard baianos saying that there were a lot of mineiros in some areas (they were probably exaggerating).

I did a quick search here and found some cities with 5~10% (and others with 10~20%) of their population born in Minas, but I believe it is close to the border.
    Far i know, Bahia its a pretty homogenous state, most Baianos descends from the settlers of Salvador/Litoral during 1500 - 1750, and from the Vaqueiros (which itself were persons from Reconcavo which imigrated towards sertão), some Bandeirantes/Vicentinos were in Bahia, especially in Chapada Diamantina, they even founded some cities and populated them, and some Portugueses and Galicians settled here during 1850 - 1950, also some Modern day Paulistas, Mineiros and Cariocas imigrated to Camaçari bcs od the polo petroquímico which created many jobs, but not more than that.
    North of Minas & Bahia were colonized/descends from the same peoples, the Vaqueiros which worked for Casa da Torre (Família Garcia Davilla) and the family Guedes de Brito, both families colonized all the way of Sao Francisco river down to Rio das Velha in MG, were they founded Bandeirantes Paulistas in goldmine lands and started Emboaba war, were at the final Emboabas (Baianos, Pernambucanos and Portugueses) colonized the Northern Region, with the limit about modern city of Diamantina, while Bandeirantes colonized Ouro Preto/Vila Rica and the central Minas, there some families with relatives in both of sides of fronteira but is not that comum, most Bahia families stayed in state isolated until early 1900 which Vargas incentived the internal migration to SP/RJ/MG more than External to "preserve" the Brazilian culture from the waves of Italian and Germans immigrants, but the inverse were rare, the last big imigration Bahia had from others state was mainly in Chapada Diamantina as i said during sec XIV (Mainly made of Paulistas and Mineiros, but also by people from Reconcavo and Itabuna), despite that region which Guanambi its not too far from, its not comum.
    Spoiler!

Viscount of Sabugosa
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Chimera
    Ethnicity
    Frankenstein's Creature
    Ancestry
    Elwetritsch
    Country
    Brazil
    Taxonomy
    Südatlantid/Pamp(as)id
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 711
    Given: 660

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle Bell View Post
    Far i know, Bahia its a pretty homogenous state, most Baianos descends from the settlers of Salvador/Litoral during 1500 - 1750, and from the Vaqueiros (which itself were persons from Reconcavo which imigrated towards sertão), some Bandeirantes/Vicentinos were in Bahia, especially in Chapada Diamantina, they even founded some cities and populated them, and some Portugueses and Galicians settled here during 1850 - 1950, also some Modern day Paulistas, Mineiros and Cariocas imigrated to Camaçari bcs od the polo petroquímico which created many jobs, but not more than that.
    North of Minas & Bahia were colonized/descends from the same peoples, the Vaqueiros which worked for Casa da Torre (Família Garcia Davilla) and the family Guedes de Brito, both families colonized all the way of Sao Francisco river down to Rio das Velha in MG, were they founded Bandeirantes Paulistas in goldmine lands and started Emboaba war, were at the final Emboabas (Baianos, Pernambucanos and Portugueses) colonized the Northern Region, with the limit about modern city of Diamantina, while Bandeirantes colonized Ouro Preto/Vila Rica and the central Minas, there some families with relatives in both of sides of fronteira but is not that comum, most Bahia families stayed in state isolated until early 1900 which Vargas incentived the internal migration to SP/RJ/MG more than External to "preserve" the Brazilian culture from the waves of Italian and Germans immigrants, but the inverse were rare, the last big imigration Bahia had from others state was mainly in Chapada Diamantina as i said during sec XIV (Mainly made of Paulistas and Mineiros, but also by people from Reconcavo and Itabuna), despite that region which Guanambi its not too far from, its not comum.
    What about the presence of Gauchos and Southerners in general in Western Bahia and the MATOPIBA region as a whole?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information