Mameluco paulista
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 54

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle Bell View Post
    Far i know, Bahia its a pretty homogenous state, most Baianos descends from the settlers of Salvador/Litoral during 1500 - 1750, and from the Vaqueiros (which itself were persons from Reconcavo which imigrated towards sertão), some Bandeirantes/Vicentinos were in Bahia, especially in Chapada Diamantina, they even founded some cities and populated them, and some Portugueses and Galicians settled here during 1850 - 1950, also some Modern day Paulistas, Mineiros and Cariocas imigrated to Camaçari bcs od the polo petroquímico which created many jobs, but not more than that.
    North of Minas & Bahia were colonized/descends from the same peoples, the Vaqueiros which worked for Casa da Torre (Família Garcia Davilla) and the family Guedes de Brito, both families colonized all the way of Sao Francisco river down to Rio das Velha in MG, were they founded Bandeirantes Paulistas in goldmine lands and started Emboaba war, were at the final Emboabas (Baianos, Pernambucanos and Portugueses) colonized the Northern Region, with the limit about modern city of Diamantina, while Bandeirantes colonized Ouro Preto/Vila Rica and the central Minas, there some families with relatives in both of sides of fronteira but is not that comum, most Bahia families stayed in state isolated until early 1900 which Vargas incentived the internal migration to SP/RJ/MG more than External to "preserve" the Brazilian culture from the waves of Italian and Germans immigrants, but the inverse were rare, the last big imigration Bahia had from others state was mainly in Chapada Diamantina as i said during sec XIV (Mainly made of Paulistas and Mineiros, but also by people from Reconcavo and Itabuna), despite that region which Guanambi its not too far from, its not comum.
    I read something about Casa da Torre, but I didn't know it was that important. It is the only medieval castle in Brazil, If I recall correctly.

It was not unusual for a colonial governor to hire paulistas to "deal with" indomitable indians in that period. Most were not even paid in currency, but agree to go to war with the indians in exchange for take them as captives. Usually they returned to São Paulo with the captured indians, but some settled in the "pacified" regions.

Minas is basically the "heart" of Brazil if we think about it. It was settled originaly with people from both the South and the North of the colony, had economical ties with almost every other Captaincy (even gauchos from the farther south went there to trade cattle in the mining regions) and its geography have something that resembles every other Brazilian region (Caatinga, Mata Atlântica, grasslands, some Araucária spots etc). It shares its culture with every neighboring state - caipiras from São Paulo, Goiás and Mato Grosso do Sul/sertanejos from Bahia/having even a carioca influenced big city (Juiz de Fora). Minas is basically a "mini Brazil" of sort.

Regarding the germans, I'm not 100% sure, but wasn't in Bahia the first attempt to settle Germans in Brazil? I read something about that many years ago. The colony didn't last long due to the harsh climate for the settlers.

About the mineros in Bahia, the cities with some significant population from Minas that I found were the following (by significant, in this case, I would consider at least 10%):

Ibirapuã - 15,95%
    Itanhém - 17,34%
    Jucuruçu - 10,60%
    Lajedão - 21,31%
    Medeiros Neto - 12,63%
    Mucuri - 17,42%
    Nova Viçosa - 13,35%
    Teixeira de Freitas - 11,54%

The data is taken from the 2000 Census. Yes, they are not recent info and the numbers are probably outdated, but I'm posting just as a curiosity.

All the cities above are in the Far South of the state, bordering Northern Minas.

"Preta, Preta, Pretinha . . ." Jingle Bell's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sertanejo Nordestino, Crioulo, Romance.
    Ethnicity
    Bahian (Agreste & Zona da Mata), Portuguese (Center & North).
    Ancestry
    (BR) Sesmaria de Peixoto Viegas & Recôncavo, (PT) Aveiro, Porto.
    Country
    Brazil
    Y-DNA
    E-L515.
    mtDNA
    L2c4.
    Taxonomy
    Mulatto (Med + Sudanid).
    Hero
    Novos Baianos.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,420
    Given: 4,234

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Etelfrido View Post
    What about the presence of Gauchos and Southerners in general in Western Bahia and the MATOPIBA region as a whole?
    Yeah may have some Gauchos/Sulistas in Western face of Sao Francisco in Bahia, but i dont think theres much, maybe some in Barreiras, Bom Jesus da Lapa but i dont saw any rly noticeable migration, maybe they are more in the Tocantins side of MATOPIBA, bcs is less populated and a more developed place imo. I dont remenber any Sulista migration in Bahia during history, just maybe some Paranenses with get here with the bandeiras.
    More Details about my Bahian & Portuguese ancestry:
    Spoiler!

"Preta, Preta, Pretinha . . ." Jingle Bell's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sertanejo Nordestino, Crioulo, Romance.
    Ethnicity
    Bahian (Agreste & Zona da Mata), Portuguese (Center & North).
    Ancestry
    (BR) Sesmaria de Peixoto Viegas & Recôncavo, (PT) Aveiro, Porto.
    Country
    Brazil
    Y-DNA
    E-L515.
    mtDNA
    L2c4.
    Taxonomy
    Mulatto (Med + Sudanid).
    Hero
    Novos Baianos.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,420
    Given: 4,234

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Camargo View Post
    I read something about Casa da Torre, but I didn't know it was that important. It is the only medieval castle in Brazil, If I recall correctly.

It was not unusual for a colonial governor to hire paulistas to "deal with" indomitable indians in that period. Most were not even paid in currency, but agree to go to war with the indians in exchange for take them as captives. Usually they returned to São Paulo with the captured indians, but some settled in the "pacified" regions.

Minas is basically the "heart" of Brazil if we think about it. It was settled originaly with people from both the South and the North of the colony, had economical ties with almost every other Captaincy (even gauchos from the farther south went there to trade cattle in the mining regions) and its geography have something that resembles every other Brazilian region (Caatinga, Mata Atlântica, grasslands, some Araucária spots etc). It shares its culture with every neighboring state - caipiras from São Paulo, Goiás and Mato Grosso do Sul/sertanejos from Bahia/having even a carioca influenced big city (Juiz de Fora). Minas is basically a "mini Brazil" of sort.

Regarding the germans, I'm not 100% sure, but wasn't in Bahia the first attempt to settle Germans in Brazil? I read something about that many years ago. The colony didn't last long due to the harsh climate for the settlers.

About the mineros in Bahia, the cities with some significant population from Minas that I found were the following (by significant, in this case, I would consider at least 10%):

Ibirapuã - 15,95%
    Itanhém - 17,34%
    Jucuruçu - 10,60%
    Lajedão - 21,31%
    Medeiros Neto - 12,63%
    Mucuri - 17,42%
    Nova Viçosa - 13,35%
    Teixeira de Freitas - 11,54%

The data is taken from the 2000 Census. Yes, they are not recent info and the numbers are probably outdated, but I'm posting just as a curiosity.

All the cities above are in the Far South of the state, bordering Northern Minas.
    Casa da Torre were the center of the biggest latifund in Latam history, at the peak the Garcia Davilla had abt 800.000km² of particular land.

Yeah, MG even represents Brazil as whole better than DF imo, Minas is like, what happens if we mix all Brazil cultures in one place and people? Puff! Basically u created MG, even genetically Minas is almost like the average of Brazil.

About Germans, indeed they tried to settle here, especially in Ilhéus (German) that fracassed very quickly, but Nova Viçosa - Colônia Leopoldina (German-Swiss) actually prospered, but German culture never were strong anyway.

Very intesresting, i did not know that soms cities reached the 20%, i wonder if that mineiros have some Baiano recent ancestry too.
    More Details about my Bahian & Portuguese ancestry:
    Spoiler!

Viscount of Sabugosa
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Chimera
    Ethnicity
    Frankenstein's Creature
    Ancestry
    Elwetritsch
    Country
    Brazil
    Taxonomy
    Südatlantid/Pamp(as)id
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 711
    Given: 660

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle Bell View Post
    Yeah may have some Gauchos/Sulistas in Western face of Sao Francisco in Bahia, but i dont think theres much, maybe some in Barreiras, Bom Jesus da Lapa but i dont saw any rly noticeable migration, maybe they are more in the Tocantins side of MATOPIBA, bcs is less populated and a more developed place imo. I dont remenber any Sulista migration in Bahia during history, just maybe some Paranenses with get here with the bandeiras.
    I was surprised when I learned that one of the biggest CTGs is in Bahia.

https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/cotidi...%20nem%20tanto.

As for Matopiba:
    https://brasil61.com/n/regiao-do-mat...nte-bras237901

https://gauchazh.clicrbs.com.br/espe...ste/index.html

Last Online
    04-13-2024 @ 02:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mameluco paulista
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

When Globo used to make some good documentaries (yeah, that was a long time ago), I saw a Globo Reporter special about the wine production in Rio Grande do Sul and Santa Catarina. Nothing unusual here, but at the end of the show, there was a part about the wine production in Bahia, with some modern techniques introduced by gaucho settlers. I can't remember the exact location where this happened, but certainly it was in the Sertão area.

Last Online
    04-13-2024 @ 02:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mameluco paulista
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Most Brazilian members may know about the War of Canudos. Long story short, it was a rebellion in the early Brazilian Republic in the town of Canudos (hence the name), where the inhabitants followed a religious leader called Antônio Conselheiro. The local rich farmers felt their social status would be threatened by Conselheiro's preaches and told the Republican government that the inhabitants where monarchists that would try to depose the Republic, what made the Brazilian army send three expeditions to size the town (the first and second failed, and the third, with thousands of soldiers from everywhere in Brazil, destroyed the city and killed most of the inhabitants).

Captured jagunço

Jagunços captured by the cavalry

Family from Canudos

Survivors

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information