Brazilian
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 87

1 Not allowed!

Default Classify Brazilian actors playing Portuguese characters

Rede Globo/SIC adaptation of Eça de Queiroz. State main phenotypes in the cast:

Last Online
    Today @ 10:47 AM
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Ancestry
    Aragonese
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Valencia
    Y-DNA
    I
    mtDNA
    H
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 136

0 Not allowed!

lol because the majority of Actors look 100% European and not even one of the 10-20% more pigmented or Exotic, some even look more Central European than Iberian, so I don't understand why many Iberian users complain that Americans only choose to roles of Iberians either only the most exotic/darker ones or directly people of other ethnicities or mixed

Last Online
    04-13-2024 @ 02:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mameluco paulista
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 54

1 Not allowed!

It would be interesting for the Portuguese members to say if they can pass in Portugal.

I'm in a hurry right now and will try to contribute better later, but since most of the cast are from Portuguese and Italian background, I expect many Atlanto-Med/Gracile-Med answers.

I'm not quite sure if Stênio Garcia and Otavio Augusto are 100% European. Both have that typical "chino" eyes that can indicate amerindian admixture, but they can be "pseudo-traits", as people in Europe can have slanted, small-eyes too, but since both come from regions with historical amerindian influence (interior of Espírito Santo and São Paulo state, respectively), I have my doubts.

No doubt that some actors can easily pass in Portugual.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Mameluco paulista
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Valenman View Post
    lol because the majority of Actors look 100% European and not even one of the 10-20% more pigmented or Exotic, some even look more Central European than Iberian, so I don't understand why many Iberian users complain that Americans only choose to roles of Iberians either only the most exotic/darker ones or directly people of other ethnicities or mixed
    Trust me, a lot of people in the cast have non-Iberian background, despite showing Iberian surnames in the trailer sequence. There some of the cast that are indeed from Central European background.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Mameluco paulista
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Most of the actors would fit the Atlanto-Med + Alpine category. I don't remember the main roles (I read the book some 15 years ago), but, to me, those having more typical Portuguese look would be Osmar Prado, Simone Spoladore and Selton Mello (at least in the trailer).

Osmar Prado

Simone Spoladore

Selton Mello

Ana Paula Arósio could easily pass as someone from the UK/Ireland when she was younger (some people classify her as North Atlantid):

Fábio Assunção, despite having Portuguese background, looks quite different from the rest of the Italian/Portuguese cast. I've seen a lot of people giving a lot of different classifications for him over the years in anthroforums (North Atlantid, Berid, Faelid, Brunn and so on), never having a general consensus.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Mameluco paulista
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

About Stênio Garcia and Otavio Augusto: they look odd and wouldn't fit in Portugal, at least to me. As I said, both look a little bit amerindian influenced. The last picture of Otavio Augusto even remind me of Juan Román Riquelme, the infamous player from Boca Juniors.

Stênio Garcia

Otávio Augusto

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Mameluco paulista
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Matheus Nachtergaele claims to have Belgian parents (probably Flemish, with such surname). He is obviously white, but I would never guess he has recent Flemish ancestry if I didn't know his background. In some pictures he even reminds me of Pedro Pascal.

Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 03:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 87

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Camargo View Post
    Trust me, a lot of people in the cast have non-Iberian background, despite showing Iberian surnames in the trailer sequence. There some of the cast that are indeed from Central European background.
    Indeed, Eva Wilma and José Lewgoy very likely had only non-iberian european ancestry. In contrast Paulista actress Mila Moreira who was present in the miniseries but wasn't show in the trailer had full portuguese ancestry.

Quote Originally Posted by Camargo View Post
    About Stênio Garcia and Otavio Augusto: they look odd and wouldn't fit in Portugal, at least to me. As I said, both look a little bit amerindian influenced. The last picture of Otavio Augusto even remind me of Juan Román Riquelme, the infamous player from Boca Juniors.
    Ironically in the show many characters assumed Stenio Garcia's character was Brazilian not due to his look but because he used to live on this side of the Atlantic however they were always corrected that he was born in the Azores.

Last Online
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    West-Eurasian
    Ancestry
    Algeria, Europe and Syria
    Country
    Syria
    Y-DNA
    R1b1a1b1a1a2b or U152 (Christovano Barattini -Suna)
    mtDNA
    me: U1a1a1 (Buza Maggiori-Italy); dad: I1b (Pied-Noir)
    Politics
    Ancap
    Hero
    Jeffrey Sachs
    Relationship Status
    Fatti gli affari tuoi!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,820
    Given: 11,620

0 Not allowed!

Simone Spoladore has no Iberian too.
    Spoiler!

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Mameluco paulista
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo View Post
    Indeed, Eva Wilma and José Lewgoy very likely had only non-iberian european ancestry. In contrast Paulista actress Mila Moreira who was present in the miniseries but wasn't show in the trailer had full portuguese ancestry.
    I searched Eva Wilma and found that she had a German father and a Ashkenazi Jewish mother (I don't remember the exact origin). At first glance, I would say she could pass in Southern Europe, maybe because of her Jewish admixture that gives her a less Northern/Central Europe vibe from her German side.

Mila Moreira looks very Portuguese to me, mostly because of her jawline (very Med looking).

Ironically in the show many characters assumed Stenio Garcia's character was Brazilian not due to his look but because he used to live on this side of the Atlantic however they were always corrected that he was born in the Azores.
    Ele é o que chamavam de "brasileiro" por ter vivido no Brasil, né? Estou lembrando do livro hahahaha.

Thread Information