Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wends in Germany coming from the Balkans?(!)

Last Online
    02-29-2024 @ 10:08 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    West Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 289
    Given: 372

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    I can not sum up all indications here now, that would be pages and pages.
    OK.

I meant after they penetrated the Byzantine areas south of the Jirecek line including Greece itself.
    It would hardly make sense for them to acquire some knowledge about the ancient Greek religion and start practicing it themselves, as Byzantine influence was obviously Christian.

That I know and that is understandable in the context of Christianity. But I wonder whether also their pagan scholars may have adopted one or another thing, idea and term. The Kunstmann elaborations on Arkona and Rethra are at least interesting. I don't know if you can read them.
    Interesting or not, they seem completely out of place.

I myslef can not assess these things but if I get scholars right they claim this linguistic proximity for the very early times already, not after any Czech reign of Lusatia but also regarding the Sorbs in the whole area depicted in this Polish map.
    Since I am too lazy to search for it myself I'm just gonna post what someone else has posted on one of polish main historical forum:

The linguistic diversification of the Slavic dialects/languages:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schowek01 Leszek Moszyński - Wstęp do filologii słowiańskiej (2006) .jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	407.9 KB 
ID:	127194

Name:	Schowek02 Leszek Moszyński - Wstęp do filologii słowiańskiej (2006) .jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	127195

Czechs encountered lots of Germanics in Bohemia and it has changed the genetics of this Slavs and this may well have been restricted to those early Slavs who stayed and mixed there and not to those moving on further. So that genetic difference is zero disproval.
    The common theory is that the Czechs (or should I say people who became Czechs after settling there) encountered the Celts in Bohemia. Also, moving through the Central European plain from the Vistula to Połabie is much simpler due to there being no mountain ranges in the path than moving through Moravia, Bohemia and then though the Sudetes/Ore mountains into Połabie. And it would make no sense for people to acquire Germanic genetic influence in Bohemia and not in Połabie.

Yes, and also when Avars defeated Franks in 566 in Thurigia (as a kind of revenge for having been there in a battle at abt. 562) there is a more intense Slavic settlement visible east of the Saale river and if we think of where the Avars were based it's not that far fetched that they more dirigated Slavs that were closer to them in Pannonia than some far away "virgin" Lechitc Slavs from the middle Vistula.
    Slavs most likely spread out in waves following the Hunnic invasion (which pushed the Germanics west and among others led to the destruction of the Ermanaric's state empire).

I know that this is unheard of and thus I did not ask if anyone heard of it. I asked if someone knows what exactly is written in the Greek sources that all do refer to.

I know but this is also irrelevant to me. I wanted to check this point of Kunstmann for seeing if he's reliable when referring to facts and I thought it should be possible to simply check this thing.
    It's highly unlikely noone before would see such an obvious mistake. On top of this (like I've said) the assumption that "White Croats" means one group of people - or that it is actually a proper name for any people - and that there's one basic source for the name is most likely wrong.

A lingusitic comparison does not require that things are contemporarily used. Just if you say that vel(k)o did only later get the referred to meaning it would de-legitimise the consideration.
    But it very much sounds like a typical "what if we claim that something should be read differently" folk etymologies.

It's not about abt. b-v change but about a possible - I don't know, this is why I ask - b/v ambigousity in Greek spelling.
    Like I've said, it's not only Greek spelling you would have to look at.

No, he states it's written correctly and it is written Vel(k)o-.
    The problem is that even "Great Croatia" means really nothing. It does not make it any more obvious which place would it allude to.
    So - like I've said - the whole theory sounds like typical "what if".
    ej bi si di i ef dżi ejdż aj dżej kej el em en oł pi kju a es ti ju wi dablju eks łaj zet

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,426
    Given: 6,765

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    Could this explain why Germans from places like County Glatz score notable Balkan admixture?
    There were no Romans there ever, so it can't be explained by that.
    It could theoretically even explain the elevated pigmentation in Bohemia, Moravia, Upper Saxony, Thuringia and Southern Saxony-Anhalt, something that I hitherto explained by a notable pre population since LBK times. This area also has a somewhat elevated culture density.

Of course, this would require Slavs to have picked up a notable part of folks from their way through the south and considering the genetics of the Krakauer Berg samples I somewhat dought that explanation. But we have to be open minded for different possibilities, I think.

I just today came across Božena Němcová - born in Vienna as Barbara Nowotny - and I find her look like a concentrate of what type I refer to:

Target: rothaer_scaled
    Distance: 1.0091% / 0.01009085

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    West Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

But as I already stated, I had some hints on a southern influence among some Western Slavs, let it be the Obotrite name or the fact that the early known individuals among the Obotrite chieftains had personal names with drag instead of darg which latter is the common linguistic development among Lechitic place manes in Northern Germany. But drag is more common in the south.
    "Some" influence is not the same as "Slavs migrated from the South". Also remember that not everything was evolving linguistically at the same pace.

And as for Derwan the problem remains that the occurance is unparalelled among the Slavic names. This is unexplainable if it would be "normal" to call someone after drew/wood. And I think that "Dervanus" is documented one time only, if I got it right.
    On the other hand how many lists of early Slavic names do we have?
    ej bi si di i ef dżi ejdż aj dżej kej el em en oł pi kju a es ti ju wi dablju eks łaj zet

Banned
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Midwestern Trash
    Ancestry
    German, Danish, Litvin Polish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA
    N1b1b, H3(P)
    Hero
    The Christ
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,488
    Given: 6,009

1 Not allowed!

It could theoretically even explain the elevated pigmentation in Bohemia, Moravia, Upper Saxony, Thuringia and Southern Saxony-Anhalt, something that I hitherto explained by a notable pre population since LBK times. This area also has a somewhat elevated culture density.

Of course, this would require Slavs to have picked up a notable part of folks from their way through the south and considering the genetics of the Krakauer Berg samples I somewhat dought that explanation. But we have to be open minded for different possibilities, I think.

I just today came across Božena Němcová - born in Vienna as Barbara Nowotny - and I find her look like a concentrate of what type I refer to:

Could be something to that. My father’s ancestors from Saxony all looked Dinarid-Armenoid, and completely ethnic German. Wish I still had the photos to share.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by thatoneton View Post
    It would hardly make sense for them to acquire some knowledge about the ancient Greek religion and start practicing it themselves, as Byzantine influence was obviously Christian.
    True.

Might there also have been pagan Greeks still at abt. 550? Julian Apostata that became ceasar in 355 was pagan. Where the Greeks at the Tiras/Dnjestr f. i. in Tiraspol, also Christians? They could have been encountered very early by Slavs and the were to my knowledge not part of Byzance.

Interesting or not, they seem completely out of place.
    Yes.

Since I am too lazy to search for it myself I'm just gonna post what someone else has posted on one of polish main historical forum:

The linguistic diversification of the Slavic dialects/languages:

Name:	Schowek01 Leszek Moszyński - Wstęp do filologii słowiańskiej (2006) .jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	407.9 KB 
ID:	127194

Name:	Schowek02 Leszek Moszyński - Wstęp do filologii słowiańskiej (2006) .jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	127195
    Thanks.

The common theory is that the Czechs (or should I say people who became Czechs after settling there) encountered the Celts in Bohemia.
    I can not imagine that that is a common theory because the last time Celts were mentioned in that area were at the Markomannic Wars (the Cotini in 171) and there were no Celts heard of since then, so roughly 400 years without any mentioned Celts (they will have been assimilated by the Germanics).

Also, moving through the Central European plain from the Vistula to Połabie is much simpler due to there being no mountain ranges in the path than moving through Moravia, Bohemia and then though the Sudetes/Ore mountains into Połabie.
    Yes, it would have been but whatever we assume, it's an undeniable fact that it were the Avars that came to the Saale river in 562 and 566.
    Spoiler!

And it would make no sense for people to acquire Germanic genetic influence in Bohemia and not in Połabie.
    It would make sense as there are known to have been a lot of Germanics in Central Bohemia which has a very fertile land, when Slavs arrived. As for the Sorb area the conditions are unknown. And as for Brandenburg and Mecklenburg (not sure as for Pomearnia and Lower Silesia) there becomes more and more confirmed that there was a settlemt hiatus from abt. 550 till abt. 670. This implies that it's even proven that the Lechitic Slavs had not come to these areas in spite of that if was very simple while Bohemia and the later Sorb area already harboured Slavs for roughly 100 years.

It's highly unlikely noone before would see such an obvious mistake. On top of this (like I've said) the assumption that "White Croats" means one group of people - or that it is actually a proper name for any people - and that there's one basic source for the name is most likely wrong.

But it very much sounds like a typical "what if we claim that something should be read differently" folk etymologies.

Like I've said, it's not only Greek spelling you would have to look at.

The problem is that even "Great Croatia" means really nothing. It does not make it any more obvious which place would it allude to.
    So - like I've said - the whole theory sounds like typical "what if".
    Nothing of this is my question. Again, I wanted to get to know if such an information by Kunstmann is simply wrong or not.

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

"Some" influence is not the same as "Slavs migrated from the South". Also remember that not everything was evolving linguistically at the same pace.
    I fully agree and I also don't state so. My question is where Kunstmann could have a point and where not. As for those areas that are depicted as Lechitic in the OP map I exclude a substantial contribution of other Slavs than Lechits. But some ruling Obotrite dynasties could have had an intra-Slavic southern migration background.

On the other hand how many lists of early Slavic names do we have?
    Mostly just later ones. It's rare that name types vanish but admittedly this happens sometimes. F. i. the Gothic names Ostrogotha and Kniva that are mentioned by Jordanes in his Getica have been regarded as odd and fabulous. But by the newly found palimpsest in Vienna that contains a fragment of - likely - Dexippos, a contemporary Greek historian, such Gothic warlords from the 3rd century are mentioned and thus confirmed to be historical individuals.

https://www.oeaw.ac.at/en/imafo/rese...-vindobonensia
    Last edited by rothaer; 02-25-2024 at 12:47 AM.

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Banned
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 01:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 221

1 Not allowed!

This whole theory sounds like complete nonsense

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    West Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Might there also have been pagan Greeks still at abt. 550? Julian Apostata that became ceasar in 355 was pagan. Where the Greeks at the Tiras/Dnjestr f. i. in Tiraspol, also Christians? They could have been encountered very early by Slavs and the were to my knowledge not part of Byzance.
    A quick search says that the Roman control of Tyras lasted until the late 4th century, which would suggest the people there were indeed Christian. But I cannot guarantee it.

I can not imagine that that is a common theory because the last time Celts were mentioned in that area were at the Markomannic Wars (the Cotini in 171) and there were no Celts heard of since then, so roughly 400 years without any mentioned Celts (they will have been assimilated by the Germanics).
    I was thinking of a genetic ancestry so maybe I'm mistaken here.

Yes, it would have been but whatever we assume, it's an undeniable fact that it were the Avars that came to the Saale river in 562 and 566. It would make sense as there are known to have been a lot of Germanics in Central Bohemia which has a very fertile land, when Slavs arrived. As for the Sorb area the conditions are unknown. And as for Brandenburg and Mecklenburg (not sure as for Pomearnia and Lower Silesia) there becomes more and more confirmed that there was a settlemt hiatus from abt. 550 till abt. 670. This implies that it's even proven that the Lechitic Slavs had not come to these areas in spite of that if was very simple while Bohemia and the later Sorb area already harboured Slavs for roughly 100 years.
    At this moment I cannot respond to this because I would have to look up some things before (and this may take a while).

However seeing how Lusitia is located right at the border of the Central European plain and Bohemia I don't deny there may have been both directions of migration (to the west through the Central European plain and south-east to north-west from Bohemia).

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    West Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

My question is where Kunstmann could have a point and where not. As for those areas that are depicted as Lechitic in the OP map I exclude a substantial contribution of other Slavs than Lechites. But some ruling Obotrite dynasties could have had a migration background.
    They could have.

Mostly just later ones. It's rare that name types vanish but admittedly this happens sometimes. F. i. the Gothic names Ostrogotha and Kniva that are mentioned by Jordanes in his Getica have been regarded as weird and mythical. But by the newly found palimpsest in Vienna that contains a fragment of - likely - Dexippus, a contemporary Greek historian - respectively named Gothic warlords from the 3rd century are mentioned and thus confirmed to be historical individuals.

https://www.oeaw.ac.at/en/imafo/rese...-vindobonensia
    At this moment I am also not able to say more about the Derwan name so as to be able to either confirm or deny either possibility.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    Kashubian
    Country
    Poland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,756
    Given: 918

1 Not allowed!

K36

Distance to: DE_52?11′N_14?15′E_Sorb1
    0.10770330 German_Brandenburg_outlier(Beeskow)
    7.00553353 Ukrainian
    7.14345155 Ukrainian_Central
    7.39478871 Polish_South
    7.42142170 Carpathian_Rusyns
    7.42649985 Polish_SE_Carpathia
    7.45178502 Belarusian_Polesia
    7.45297927 Ukrainian_East
    7.65416880 Polish-2
    8.06194766 Belarusian_West
    8.07997525 Polish_Upper_Silesia
    8.12200714 Polish
    8.48737297 Polish_Mazovia
    8.48788548 Upper_Silesia
    8.90454940 Slovak
    8.92827531 Russian_Bryansk
    9.03164990 Slovak-2
    9.04908835 Polish_Kashubian
    9.15174300 Polish_Wielkopolska
    9.60656546 Belarusian_East
    9.65610170 Russian_Oryol
    9.76026127 Czech_Bohemia
    9.88852365 Russian_Don_Cossack
    10.05412851 Russian_Smolensk
    10.31234697 Russian_Voronezh

Distance to: DE_51?16′N_14?6′E_Sorb2
    10.92300783 Polish_SE_Carpathia
    11.79121707 German_East_Prussia_Masuria
    12.54427359 Belarusian_West
    12.71801478 Polish-2
    12.98481421 Polish_Kashubian
    13.09470122 Polish_Upper_Silesia
    13.17184877 Cossack_Ukrainian
    13.25705473 Belarusian_Polesia
    13.25719804 Polish_Mazovia
    13.56495853 Polish_South
    13.65227454 Polish_North
    13.72568395 Polish
    14.04487095 Polish_Wielkopolska
    14.34697529 Ukrainian
    14.44625903 German_West_Prussia
    14.51559506 Russian_Voronezh
    14.52057506 Russian_Smolensk
    14.57669716 Ukrainian_West
    14.71237914 Belarusian_East
    14.75168126 Russian_Tambov
    14.80271259 Russian_Don_Cossack
    14.86431633 Ukrainian_East
    15.03084163 German_Brandenburg_outlier(Beeskow)
    15.05289009 Ukrainian_Central
    15.08407107 Upper_Silesia

Distance to: DE_51?16′N_14?6′E_Sorb3
    12.72809098 Russian_Don_Cossack
    12.79257597 Slovak
    13.13190009 Upper_Silesia
    13.20941710 Ukrainian
    13.35716662 Slovak-2
    13.40313769 Russian_Tver
    13.56859978 Polish_South
    13.60886843 Ukrainian_Central
    13.64358091 Russian_Oryol
    13.79427417 Polish_Wielkopolska
    14.01238381 Ukrainian_West
    14.10685649 Polish
    14.34584957 Polish_Upper_Silesia
    14.41057598 Czech_Bohemia
    14.77924558 Russian_Voronezh
    14.86172265 German_Brandenburg_outlier(Beeskow)
    14.91692663 Russian_Tambov
    15.09363111 Polish-2
    15.10775629 Carpathian_Rusyns
    15.19323205 Belarusian_East
    15.23086997 Czech
    15.25557603 Polish_Kashubian
    15.27340499 Ukrainian_East
    15.42605912 Czech_Moravia
    15.60321441 Russian_Kursk

Distance to: DE_51?16′N_14?6′E_Sorb4
    9.02028824 German_East_Prussia_Masuria
    10.08619849 Polish_Kashubian
    10.19370394 Polish_North
    10.24472059 Polish-2
    10.32362824 Polish_SE_Carpathia
    10.58218786 Polish_Mazovia
    10.63009878 Polish_Upper_Silesia
    10.85553315 Polish
    11.21173938 Ukrainian_West
    11.33619425 Polish_South
    11.59698237 Belarusian_West
    11.88727891 Polish_Wielkopolska
    12.09407293 German_West_Prussia
    12.19155856 Ukrainian
    12.42801271 Ukrainian_East
    12.59390726 Belarusian_Polesia
    12.72273555 Slovak
    12.92041408 Ukrainian_Central
    13.01710029 Russian_Don_Cossack
    13.04944443 German_Brandenburg_outlier(Beeskow)
    13.26792373 Czech
    13.27510829 Czech_Bohemia
    13.31838203 Czech_Moravia
    13.32525797 Russian_Bryansk
    13.33564772 Belarusian_East

Distance to: DE_51?16′N_14?6′E_Sorb5
    10.63851023 Ukrainian_Central
    11.19544997 Ukrainian_East
    11.61538204 Carpathian_Rusyns
    11.94904599 Polish_South
    12.18848637 German_Brandenburg_outlier(Beeskow)
    12.44581456 Ukrainian
    12.60095234 Polish_Upper_Silesia
    12.64431888 Slovak
    12.76754088 Slovak-2
    12.77699887 Polish-2
    13.05958652 Polish_Wielkopolska
    13.15944148 Belarusian_Polesia
    13.37352983 Ukrainian_West
    13.55568884 Polish_SE_Carpathia
    13.60616404 Polish_Mazovia
    13.71860780 Polish
    13.73819857 Russian_Oryol
    13.75628584 Polish_Kashubian
    14.00993576 Czech_Moravia
    14.05341595 Czech_Bohemia
    14.29722351 Belarusian_West
    14.56625209 Belarusian_East
    14.67471294 Polish_North
    14.70737910 Upper_Silesia
    14.73562011 Russian_Don_Cossack

Target: DE_52?11′N_14?15′E_Sorb1
    Distance: 7.5365% / 0.07536544 | ADC: 0.25x
    99.0 German_Brandenburg_outlier(Beeskow)
    1.0 Ukrainian

Target: DE_51?16′N_14?6′E_Sorb2
    Distance: 844.7838% / 8.44783834 | ADC: 0.25x
    36.4 Polish_Sudovia
    24.0 German_East_Prussia_Masuria
    17.4 Cossack_Ukrainian
    10.0 Spanish_Cantabria
    6.2 Latvian2
    3.8 Spanish_North
    2.2 Irish_Ulster

Target: DE_51?16′N_14?6′E_Sorb3
    Distance: 1032.5972% / 10.32597189 | ADC: 0.25x
    53.4 Russian_Tver
    17.4 German_Saxony-Anhalt_South
    16.2 Ukrainian
    4.6 Greek_Istanbul
    4.4 North_Macedonian
    4.0 Russian_Don_Cossack

Target: DE_51?16′N_14?6′E_Sorb4
    Distance: 614.6899% / 6.14689856 | ADC: 0.25x
    53.8 German_East_Prussia_Masuria
    33.8 Polish_Sudovia
    9.2 Spanish_North
    3.2 Basque

Target: DE_51?16′N_14?6′E_Sorb5
    Distance: 946.8187% / 9.46818671 | ADC: 0.25x
    55.4 Ukrainian_East
    20.4 German_Saxony-Anhalt_South
    9.2 Ukrainian_Central
    8.0 Lithuanian
    7.0 North_Macedonian-2

There is some weak signal, but I think it's more of a return movement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information