Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you say that affluent people are less sociable and outgoing than poorer people?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 05:45 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,442
    Given: 5,756

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Watersater79 View Post
    At the end of the day, Wales and Scotland are substantially less densely populated than the crowded SE, and that goes for many, many parts of the north of England as well. Although money is generally 'tighter' in said areas, there is simultaneously less of a 'rush'/hustle and bustle. In poorer areas, people are maybe more inclined to 'band together'. On a similar note, population sparsity does not always = gregariousness in a population; the Nordic countries (excluding Denmark) are extremely sparsely populated and yet Swedes and Finns are considered the most 'introverted' of all Europeans. It is interesting why there is a more 'Mediterranean' disposition generally amongst the Irish, Welsh, and Scottish, compared to the Norwegians/Swedes/Finns.
    Swedes and Norwegians etc i have encountered have generally been pleasant and quite good natured, they are not usually chatty like the northern Brits Welsh and Irish but i find them more pleasant than a lot of southern English. I would say that southern English tend to have a more Nordic disposition especially in Sussex and Kent and the general south east corner but there is also a class aspect here as well which means that many people act in quite a frosty manner.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,033
    Given: 6,627

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver109 View Post
    Swedes and Norwegians etc i have encountered have generally been pleasant and quite good natured, they are not usually chatty like the northern Brits Welsh and Irish but i find them more pleasant than a lot of southern English. I would say that southern English tend to have a more Nordic disposition especially in Sussex and Kent and the general south east corner but there is also a class aspect here as well which means that many people act in quite a frosty manner.
    And how do you compare the humour of each? In spite of many Southern English being somewhat cold they do have a good sense of humour unlike many continentals.
    Spoiler!

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 05:45 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,442
    Given: 5,756

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    And how do you compare the humour of each? In spite of many Southern English being somewhat cold they do have a good sense of humour unlike many continentals.
    I would say southern English are wittier, wittier than Northerners who are a good laugh but cruder in their jokes, Scandinavians can in their way be funny, the ones i encountered in my job didn't have an ice cold reputation.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver109 View Post
    I would say southern English are wittier, wittier than Northerners who are a good laugh but cruder in their jokes, Scandinavians can in their way be funny, the ones i encountered in my job didn't have an ice cold reputation.
    I agree, although Northern English are in turn wittier than the Irish, who have a more basic but playful humour. Scandinavians have an innocent humour I guess, the Dutch have a good sense of humour but aren't very funny or witty (subtle as a sledgehammer), the Germans don't have much of a sense of humour but are funnier than their reputation, and no less so than most continental Europeans. Not aware of the French being very funny or humourous.
    Spoiler!

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

I agree, although Northern English are in turn wittier than the Irish, who have a more basic but playful humour. Scandinavians have an innocent humour I guess, the Dutch have a good sense of humour but aren't very funny or witty (subtle as a sledgehammer), the Germans don't have much of a sense of humour but are funnier than their reputation, and no less so than most continental Europeans. Not aware of the French being very funny or humourous.
    btw Australians have a great sense of humour and are pretty funny but totally lack wit compared to the English (and Scottish), taking crudeness to the extreme. The difference is most noticeable if you've ever been among Australian vs English football or cricket fans, British banter is just a level above.
    Spoiler!

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Vlach Irish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 Dacian Mocani
    mtDNA
    V3 Viking Queen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,901
    Given: 18,310

1 Not allowed!

btw Australians have a great sense of humour and are pretty funny but totally lack wit compared to the English (and Scottish), taking crudeness to the extreme. The difference is most noticeable if you've ever been among Australian vs English football or cricket fans, British banter is just a level above.
    I must ask where America and Canada rank in this battle of wits. IMHO Americans are jacks of all trades mixed with the occasional comic genius. Canada excels at more alternative and avant-garde humor like SCTV, Kids in the Hall, Tom Green etc.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Hero
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daco Celtic View Post
    I must ask where America and Canada rank in this battle of wits. IMHO Americans are jacks of all trades mixed with the occasional comic genius. Canada excels at more alternative and avant-garde humor like SCTV, Kids in the Hall, Tom Green etc.
    It's hard to generalise Americans and characterise American humour, with so many different peoples and cultural influences, so I guess jacks of all trades would be appropriate. Also I was thinking more of average people than the media - which I don't think is necessarily representative of the people, especially nowadays. I think it's fair to say Americans are generally more straightforward and innocent in their humour, not as dry, witty and innuendo-driven as the British, not as crude as the Australians, but more exaggerated, and more playful (a bit like the Irish).

I can't culturally separate Canadians from Northern Americans, which is not to say they aren't different, but I don't know the difference well enough.
    Spoiler!

Banned
    Last Online
    04-09-2024 @ 06:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Illyrian
    Ethnicity
    Alpha
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 31

0 Not allowed!

I've watched Love Island UK and Australia and concur. The sophistication of British or rather English, not so much Welsh or Scottish for example) is visible compare to the Aussies. Eve when less educated.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    Solutrean
    Country
    Monaco
    Region
    Lyon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z367
    mtDNA