Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: In your country, which tourist attractions/towns would you say are overrated?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,067
    Given: 5,709

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PlattitüdenPaule View Post
    You wont regret it, it`s an absolute gem. It`s literally the "Wacht am Rhein" with several huge fortresses, including Festung Ehrenbreitstein the biggest completely preserved fortress in all of Europe and the "Deutsche Eck" where Rhine and Mosel come together, complete with the hugest statue of Kaiser Wilhelm I. you`ll ever see. Most of the central part of the city is almost completely comprised of massive Imperial residences from the 19th and 18th century, despite the Americans crossing the Rhine just a few kilometers further in the city part of Vallendar. Funny enough it`s also a hotspot of Catholicism in the area with several beautiful medieval churches and also one of the oldest churches in Germany, the Basilika Sankt Kastor, which was build around 800 and was directly constructed by the order of Karl dem Großen. The nightlife is also extremely rich especially considering the relatively small size of the city; or you could just sit in one of the establishments along the Rheinpromenaden, enjoy a good glass of wine and take in the view. To top it all, it got very few muslims roaming around. I might post some pictures later that day.
    That sounds amazing! Thanks a lot Platti! And if you can post some pics would be great.

I dont have a specific opinion on Hamburg, tbh, besides it being the hometown of Klaus Störtebeker (one of my favourite historical personalities; Germanys most prominent pirate, lol), since I`ve never been there before, so I`m not much of a help there unfortunately.

Yes Leipzig is definitely a sight to take in. Really nice city, though I havent been there in ages, but remember feeling very relaxed and well there.

Ah and yes, Dresden and Prague always hold a special place in my heart. Two especially beautiful cities. Make sure to visit the "Wehrtechnische Sammlung" in Dresden, if you`ve got the time. It`s one of the biggest military museums in all of Europe. I can still remember going there with my family as a child and absolutely refusing to ever leave again, after I saw the Tiger tank there for the first time. My parents literally had to drag me away since I clung to it with both hands and feet, haha.
    We will! Nice tip for a museum, I had no idea

Last Online
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Donauschwabe
    Country
    Hungary
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,412
    Given: 9,926

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    South Germans dislike "Prussians" indeed. I noticed that when living there. I prefer northern half of Germany.

Berlines are rude, without manners and agressive, but lot less snobbish, judgemental and not genuinely cold like Vienesse.
    Berliners remind me of Balkanites
    I had similar experience in Wien, but to be honest i can understand it. This city was a capital of a very huge empire and the Habsburg family which was the most influental dynasty in Europe. Budapesters have same mindset for similar historical reasons, rural hungarians dislike budapesters as hell. Yeah Wien and Budapest are very similar, except i think Budapest has nicer cityscape. I imagine Berlin as something similar.

As danube swabian, i would say Austria is the closest to my heart after Bayern. The last one is because of my family, but danube swabians always saw Austria as a "mentor" country. In our flag you can see the austrian eagle and his wings above the danube swabian settlements, it means the austrian protection. When i was kid, my biggest dream was to see the Wiener Opernball. So yeah you were right about Wien, but i just canot dislike the city beause of my biased feelings
    Btw the wiener Christkindlmarkt is amazing

Last Online
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Donauschwabe
    Country
    Hungary
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,412
    Given: 9,926

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PlattitüdenPaule View Post
    Yeah, capital cities are by default subject to a lot of dislike and ofc Southern Germans are pretty much pissed Munich never became the capital, lol.
    I dont dislike east germans, i like them. I think they are closest to danube swabians in mental way, i mean this eastern post-commie kultur, but i think danube swabians have more eastern mindset In the 90' years there were swabian criminal clans in Hungary, or the skinhead/neonazi movement is also significant among us. My sister is a fanatic neonazi btw. So similar things exist here like in ex DDR, but more stereotypically.
    Last edited by Blondie; 03-20-2024 at 07:24 AM.

La Vecchia Guardia Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romantic
    Ethnicity
    Italicus nobilis
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Corsica
    Y-DNA
    J2 or whatever
    mtDNA
    H something
    Taxonomy
    Apenninid
    Hero
    Alan Lomax
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,744
    Given: 3,832

1 Not allowed!

I like New York, especially Brooklyn and Queens. So much character and history for American standards. And cheap. I prefer it to London (which isn't bad either).
    Brooklyn is good for bars and restaurants (great food scene), but imo it doesn't match the hype. I've been to some of the gentrified neighborhoods like Park Slope, DUMBO, etc. and wasn't really impressed, or rather, it doesn't justify the price tag of said neighborhoods.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2024 @ 09:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mutt
    Country
    India
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 923
    Given: 1,475

0 Not allowed!

All of them

Whole country is overrated af

Last Online
    05-14-2024 @ 07:17 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Ancestry
    Peloponnese
    Country
    Greece
    Taxonomy
    Pontid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,464
    Given: 7,907

1 Not allowed!

Mykonos and Santorini. Criminally overrated.
    "Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not"
    - Επίκουρος

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,067
    Given: 5,709

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Brooklyn is good for bars and restaurants (great food scene), but imo it doesn't match the hype. I've been to some of the gentrified neighborhoods like Park Slope, DUMBO, etc. and wasn't really impressed, or rather, it doesn't justify the price tag of said neighborhoods.
    I actually never visited "Old Brooklyn" where are those hipster upscale neighbourhoods. I lived in working class area of SW Brooklyn (where Saturday Night fever was filmed) and it was an interesting place. I enjoyed nearby Coney Island with beaches and lagoons, as well as huge pedestrian zone near Verazzano Bridge. Residential area called Bay Ridge is very nice, lovely family homes and nicely decorated for Christmas.

Brooklyn is overall a mix of everything. I biked trough most of it once. Industrial area near Manhattan Bridge was cool too, that's where this iconic scene from Once upon a time in America was filmed:

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,389
    Given: 43,886

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
    Mykonos and Santorini. Criminally overrated.
    Too much mass tourism?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,336
    Given: 1,215

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    In Britain's case, definitely Windsor. Very kitsch and expensive, whether it is the shops, the castle or Legoland.
    One thing I'll say about Windsor is that the locals are so friendly and well mannered/ high class people . Unlike the low class chavs you run into around hillingdon or hayes.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,510
    Given: 5,842

0 Not allowed!

I actually never visited "Old Brooklyn" where are those hipster upscale neighbourhoods. I lived in working class area of SW Brooklyn (where Saturday Night fever was filmed) and it was an interesting place. I enjoyed nearby Coney Island with beaches and lagoons, as well as huge pedestrian zone near Verazzano Bridge. Residential area called Bay Ridge is very nice, lovely family homes and nicely decorated for Christmas.

Brooklyn is overall a mix of everything. I biked trough most of it once. Industrial area near Manhattan Bridge was cool too, that's where this iconic scene from Once upon a time in America was filmed:

Interesting, did you work in America? I know America it is quite difficult to get a visa to live there.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread Information