Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Western Euro regions poorer than Romania (Bucharest excluded because it's too rich)

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,058
    Given: 5,709

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurzat View Post
    yes, Prague region is only 1.3 million. but Czechia is also overall doing best out of all Eastern Euro nations, and not only on purchase power. when you think also about the architecture, the tourism, proximity to Western Europe, climate etc, it makes Czechia and Prague in particular really attractive - several former schoolmates and workmates of mine, both boys and girls, live (and work) in Prague, some of them for many years, over a decade.

then, Bucharest-Ilfov region is 2.3 million, almost double, and already comparable to many other regions in the list in terms of population. you can order them by population in the last column on here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...regions_by_GDP

there's definitely some pockets of decent standard of living in Eastern Europe that could be attractive for Western expats as well, especially for cities that look nice in terms of architecture as well and are big enough to be vibrant and urban:
    - Prague in Czech Rep.
    - Warsaw, Krakow and Wroclaw in Poland
    - Budapest in Hungary
    - Vilnius in Lithuania
    - Ljubljana in Slovenia
    - Zagreb in Croatia
    - Tallinn in Estonia
    - Bratislava in Slovakia
    - Riga in Latvia
    - and lastly Bucharest in Romania, which is less attractive as a city and Romania is less developed as a country (in infrastructure) but Bucharest has a very good job market and Romania has interesting wild areas for tourism (just beware the bears)
    Prague is according to some estimates second most expensive city to live overall when salaries and living costs are considered, and constantly rising + horde of tourists, so not really a place average person with family should consider.

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,451
    Given: 31,624

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Damião de Góis View Post
    country stats are relevant to a degree, especially for smaller countries, but then for the larger (multi-region) countries the regional stats are closer to reality in showing the economy dynamics of the place. if one for example would want to choose a place for business or for work or for longer term living.

now knowing how bad the situation is in Romania in some areas like education and public health or transport infrastructure, and seeing Romania above some places that at least to the eye look better, I wonder if Europe is on a downward trend... Romania only doing moderately well in the past decade went some 5 positions up, it means European countries aren't employing the best economic policies, maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    Prague is according to some estimates second most expensive city to live overall when salaries and living costs are considered, and constantly rising + horde of tourists, so not really a place average person with family should consider.
    they must have some suburbs, I know several people, former colleagues and acquaintances, that work there and have been living there for a long time, probably will settle there forever.

the suburbs grow like crazy around Bucharest and the other big cities in Romania and you have everything you need there, no need to go to the city, especially if you work (mostly) from home, but not only

. . .
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by lei.talk View Post
    in which of these cities would a retired foreigner be least likely to become the prey of criminals
    Eastern Europe is safer in general, ironically, I think not because the East improved (it did a bit, though), but because the West saw a huge rise in criminality in the past decade.

current Crime index Europe, higher score is worse, the West in blue, the East in red:

Marseille 66
    Paris 58
    Athens 56
    London 55
    Brussels 55
    Dublin 53
    Barcelona 52
    Milan 52

Minsk 52
    Rome 50
    Stockholm 46
    Frankfurt 46
    Berlin 44

Moscow 36
    Oslo 34
    Budapest 34
    Lisbon 30
    Vienna 30
    Amsterdam 29

Bucharest 28
    Madrid 27
    Warsaw 27
    Vilnius 27

Copenhagen 26
    Prague 25
    Zagreb 22
    Ljubljana 21

Munich 21

Last Online
    04-26-2024 @ 06:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic, Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    EstoRian
    Ancestry
    Russia, East Ukraine, Adyghea
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Truly sovereign states
    Religion
    Humanism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,643
    Given: 5,916

0 Not allowed!

current Crime index Europe, higher score is worse, the West in blue, the East in red:

Marseille 66
    Paris 58
    Athens 56
    London 55
    Brussels 55
    Dublin 53
    Barcelona 52
    Milan 52

Minsk 52
    Oh, that infamous Belarussian mafia, my friend
    Do what you should.

. . .
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumata View Post
    Oh, that infamous Belarussian mafia, my friend
    it says same score as Milan but I don't know, from the vlogs and city walks I've seen looks very nice, clean and full of families with kids, has a very nice vibe and I would like to visit someday. do you think the score is right? anyway overall Eastern Europe doing much better than Western Europe, while ex-Soviet Union tends to be a bit higher on violence ratings in general (I've seen charts for homicide and reported domestic violence for example, while I don't know about random street crime, didn't see any charts on that if there are any, I wasn't really interested in the topic in general)

Last Online
    04-26-2024 @ 06:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic, Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    EstoRian
    Ancestry
    Russia, East Ukraine, Adyghea
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Truly sovereign states
    Religion
    Humanism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,643
    Given: 5,916

1 Not allowed!

it says same score as Milan but I don't know, from the vlogs and city walks I've seen looks very nice, clean and full of families with kids, has a very nice vibe and I would like to visit someday. do you think the score is right?
    No, I'm sure the score is absolutely wrong. If anything, I'd assume Belarussian cities safer than Russian ones even if they all were free of migrants. And now Moscow is full of migrants and still considered safe than Minsk which isn't. I guess it's a usual nonsense aiming to black wash a particular system.
    Do what you should.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

they must have some suburbs, I know several people, former colleagues and acquaintances, that work there and have been living there for a long time, probably will settle there forever.

the suburbs grow like crazy around Bucharest and the other big cities in Romania and you have everything you need there, no need to go to the city, especially if you work (mostly) from home, but not only
    I think it's a Europe wide trend. Same in Zagreb, suburbs and satelite cities are booming and more and more people leave central citiy districts that are now largerly rentals for wealthier tourists and such (Airbnb etc).

Thing is that almost all decent eastern EU cities are becoming unaffordable for locals unless you own real estate. Rents are rising rapidly, and groceries and utilities are on same level as in most of western Europe if not more expensive. And since many of these cities are pretty and safe lots of western expats are moving in, working remote on western salaries or for their companies, driving princes/rents up and pushing out locals who move out.

Same happened with influx of Ukrianian refugees, most very wealthy and they drove up rents a lot.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,238
    Given: 43,788

1 Not allowed!

Since at least the turn of the century, Inner London has become wealthier and more gentrified than Outer London, with the poor increasingly moving out to either the suburbs or other parts of Southeast England. On the other hand, most other cities follow the old trend of inner-city being poorer than outer suburbs and countryside.

@Scarface F: I am sure there are still far more Eastern Europeans in Western Europe than the other way round.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    @Scarface F: I am sure there are still far more Eastern Europeans in Western Europe than the other way round.
    How is that related to my post? I noticed you like to spin topics into random unrelated discussions.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,238
    Given: 43,788

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    How is that related to my post? I noticed you like to spin topics into random unrelated discussions.
    Because you mentioned growing number of Western Europeans moving to Eastern European cities and driving up the rents. While I am no Brexiteer, and I certainly don't share the view that Eastern European immigration here has been anything like the end of the world, all the same I doubt there are towns anywhere in Eastern Europe where 10-20% of the residents are Western Euros. (I.e. the reverse of places like Boston, Lincolnshire).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information