Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Western Euro regions poorer than Romania (Bucharest excluded because it's too rich)

Last Online
    Today @ 03:05 AM
    Ethnicity
    Rumanian
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    J2
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 0

2 Not allowed!

One of the fastest growing economies in Europe. Although there has been lots of inflation lately.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,058
    Given: 5,709

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Because you mentioned growing number of Western Europeans moving to Eastern European cities and driving up the rents. While I am no Brexiteer, and I certainly don't share the view that Eastern European immigration here has been anything like the end of the world, all the same I doubt there are towns anywhere in Eastern Europe where 10-20% of the residents are Western Euros. (I.e. the reverse of places like Boston, Lincolnshire).
    Budapest central districts (and it's a huge city) have over 20% of foreign nationals on average. Pretty sure Prague and similar cities are not much different.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-in-budapest/

this is 2022 statistics, so it increased even more since than

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,243
    Given: 43,791

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    Budapest central districts (and it's a huge city) have over 20% of foreign nationals on average. Pretty sure Prague and similar cities are not much different.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-in-budapest/

this is 2022 statistics, so it increased even more since than
    Well at least that lays to rest the (at best) half-truth claim that EE countries are some bastion of Japan/South Korea levels of ethnic homogeneity. That said, according to the link it is only two districts where the percentage of foreigners surpasses 20%, whereas there are others where it is as low as 2%.

As for Romania, its population seems to shrink every time I look up the stats: it is now around 19 million, whereas some years ago it was as high as 25 million, so whatever the success of Bucharest, the country still must be losing a lot of citizens to the West.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Well at least that lays to rest the (at best) half-truth claim that EE countries are some bastion of Japan/South Korea levels of ethnic homogeneity.
    It's a fantasy. Eastern Europe is same as western Europe, just 10-20 years behind and will share the same fate unless radical paradigm change.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    It's a fantasy. Eastern Europe is same as western Europe, just 10-20 years behind and will share the same fate unless radical paradigm change.
    Well I must admit even I am surprised by the rapid changes of things in many places: I would never have suspected that Wales would be the first country in Europe to have a Black leader, or for that matter that Colombia would legalise abortion and gay marriage, so what do I know?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Well I must admit even I am surprised by the rapid changes of things in many places: I would never have suspected that Wales would be the first country in Europe to have a Black leader, or for that matter that Colombia would legalise abortion and gay marriage, so what do I know?

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Returning to topic: the gap between Eastern and Western Europe (for good and for ill) is indeed shrinking, and already there was a study recently showing that the poorest 10% of people in Slovenia now earn more than the poorest 10% of people in the UK! The way things are going, I can certainly see the overall economies of Czechia, Slovenia, Estonia and possibly even Poland and some other EE nations (Romania would still be a stretch I think, at least for now) overtaking Wales, Northern Ireland and much of the North of England.
    Last edited by Tooting Carmen; 03-29-2024 at 09:27 PM.

. . .
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,451
    Given: 31,624

1 Not allowed!

Returning to topic: the gap between Eastern and Western Europe (for good and for ill) is indeed shrinking, and already there was a study recently showing that the poorest 10% of people in Slovenia now earn more than the poorest 10% of people in the UK! The way things are going, I can certainly see the overall economies of Czechia, Slovenia, Estonia and possibly even Poland and some other EE nations (Romania would still be a stretch I think, at least for now) overtaking Wales, Northern Ireland and much of the North of England.
    true - but for Romania and Poland for example the wealth is very concentrated in a couple of places, so the national average is less relevant, because you won't move to deep rural side or to some ghost little town, so people in large enough urban areas, like Warsaw, Krakow, Wroclaw, Bucharest, Cluj, Timisoara, Iasi, are living well above that national average, for which they experience a whole wave of migration back to the country plus expats moving in - at the same time people in the countryside and smaller towns are still moving to the West. also, for Romania about 1 in 4 Romanians live in the metropolitan area of one of the wealthier 5-6 cities and the trend continues with small and average towns shrinking as people move to these bigger urban areas. not to mention the deep countryside, a lot of villages just vanish or are almost completely devoid of younger population (as in working age population). are we moving back to city-states?

btw at this moment most of my relatives in the West (some have been there for over 20 years) are financially struggling more than most of my relatives in the country (and I am from poorer peasant background, so my relatives are mostly without high school diploma and they work agriculture and blue collar jobs mostly)

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Western Hunter-Gatherer
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,829
    Given: 828

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurzat View Post
    Eastern Europe is safer in general, ironically, I think not because the East improved (it did a bit, though), but because the West saw a huge rise in criminality in the past decade.

current Crime index Europe, higher score is worse, the West in blue, the East in red:

Marseille 66
    Paris 58
    Athens 56
    London 55
    Brussels 55
    Dublin 53
    Barcelona 52
    Milan 52

Minsk 52
    Rome 50
    Stockholm 46
    Frankfurt 46
    Berlin 44

Moscow 36
    Oslo 34
    Budapest 34
    Lisbon 30
    Vienna 30
    Amsterdam 29

Bucharest 28
    Madrid 27
    Warsaw 27
    Vilnius 27

Copenhagen 26
    Prague 25
    Zagreb 22
    Ljubljana 21

Munich 21

40 successful + attempted homicides in Minsk in 2023, population at 01.01.2024 - 1 992 862, rate per 100k = 2.01
    http://dataportal.belstat.gov.by/Ind...iew?key=190785

182 successful + attempted homicides in Moscow in 2022, population at 01.01.2023 - 13 104 177, rate per 100k = 1.39
    https://epp.genproc.gov.ru/web/gprf/...at?r=region/77

Rumata is always angry when Moscow is looking good in statistics, his opinion doesn't really matter.

Last Online
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic, Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    EstoRian
    Ancestry
    Russia, East Ukraine, Adyghea
    Country
    Russia
    Politics
    Truly sovereign states
    Religion
    Humanism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,643
    Given: 5,916

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Russki View Post
    40 successful + attempted homicides in Minsk in 2023, population at 01.01.2024 - 1 992 862, rate per 100k = 2.01
    http://dataportal.belstat.gov.by/Ind...iew?key=190785

182 successful + attempted homicides in Moscow in 2022, population at 01.01.2023 - 13 104 177, rate per 100k = 1.39
    https://epp.genproc.gov.ru/web/gprf/...at?r=region/77

Rumata is always angry when Moscow is looking good in statistics, his opinion doesn't really matter.
    This boy tries to alienate me from Moscow for me being not up to his "standard of Russianess". As his nick hints - he should be the beacon in that.

No, I'm not angry about such pathetic "statistics" made for persons lacking critical thinking. And of course I'm not anti-Moscow.

The Belarussian link doesn't load but I don't care much about these stats either anyway. Also the recent teract in Moscow alone is said to have a comparable number of victims.
    Do what you should.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information