Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,566
    Given: 29,023

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by black hole View Post
    Celtic

Bretons, Welsh, Irish, Manx, Cornish, Gaels

Gaels and Irish are the exact same thing. Gaels are just speakers of the Irish language. There are also Scottish Gaels. In fact Manx would also be Gaels. That's why Irish have political parties called Fine Gael (which means Tribe of the Irish). Irish were the original Gaels i.e. in Scotland were the Picts and Welsh Brythonic. Also not sure why the Scots ended up as Germanic when you are making the distinction with the Irish and Welsh? The Irish were also originally called Scots and when Gaels went from Scotland to Ireland they eventually took the name of Scotland. At one time Ireland used to be called Scotia Maior (greater Scotia) and Scotland Scotia Minor (lesser Scotia).

Scotia is a Latin placename derived from Scoti, a Latin name for the Gaels,[1] first attested in the late 3rd century.[1] The Romans referred to Ireland as "Scotia" around 500 A.D. From the 9th century on, its meaning gradually shifted, so that it came to mean only the part of Britain lying north of the Firth of Forth: the Kingdom of Scotland.[1] By the later Middle Ages it had become the fixed Latin term for what in English is called Scotland.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotia

So in short Scotland now is named after the Gaels.

It is also odd to call Cornish Celtic and Scots Germanic. In truth we are Insular Celts and not Celtic per se because in the main we do not descend from Continental Celts.

Ascended into a higher realm
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 06:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,194
    Given: 58,968

1 Not allowed!

I used to be interested in Indo-Aryans, as child and teenager. I read Mahabharata and a Book about Siddharta Gautama Buddhas Life. But I didnt know about the Caste System and that Im a untouchable, romanis are not indo-aryans in the ethnic sense, only their language, in the ethnic and spiritual sense, they are tribals/untouchables kinda like the original inhabitants of india, or first nations, who are barred from religious and spiritual knowledge and studies. I guess as untouchable i wouldnt be even allowed to study or teach the veddas, the baghavad gita etc.

I didnt know that as child though but now i do.

My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]

Hm he has mastered chakra...can he do romjutsu... - Balkanforum user Floki
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Zoomer
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,317
    Given: 9,882

0 Not allowed!

Germanic

Last Online
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    Austria
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 537
    Given: 767

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    I used to be interested in Indo-Aryans, as child and teenager. I read Mahabharata and a Book about Siddharta Gautama Buddhas Life. But I didnt know about the Caste System and that Im a untouchable, romanis are not indo-aryans in the ethnic sense, only their language, in the ethnic and spiritual sense, they are tribals/untouchables kinda like the original inhabitants of india, or first nations, who are barred from religious and spiritual knowledge and studies. I guess as untouchable i wouldnt be even allowed to study or teach the veddas, the baghavad gita etc.

I didnt know that as child though but now i do.

There are many words for this lowest caste ("Varna") in ancient Vedic India. For example Dalit, Shudra or Tschandala. I once read somewhere that they are supposedly condemned to only eat rats. Among the high castes there were almost exclusively white people, at least in ancient times, while those of lower classes were dark. Nowadays everyone there is mixed even among Brahmins and the whole Indian sub-continent is but one toilet.
    Last edited by fortress europe; 03-24-2024 at 06:46 PM.

Ascended into a higher realm
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 06:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,194
    Given: 58,968

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by fortress europe View Post
    There are many words for this lowest caste ("Varna") in ancient Vedic India. For example Dalit, Shudra or Tschandala. I once read somewhere that they are supposedly condemned to only eat rats. Among the high castes there were almost exclusively white people, at least in ancient times, while those of lower classes were dark. Nowadays everyone there is mixed even among Brahmins and the whole continent is one toilet.

Here is an interesting article:

https://www.eurocanadians.ca/2019/02...-fall-of-aryan
    Seems like a white supremacist view. I dont know how far back they were exclusively white but must be very far back i think, and the glory didnt immediately declined with modern indians. You say it as if its only recently that they are not white, and they still retain the caste system, after they are all mixed, maybe even stricter then when the first whites appeared. I rather read a neutral source then white suprermacists. But gypsies are still dalits.
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]

Hm he has mastered chakra...can he do romjutsu... - Balkanforum user Floki
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,033
    Given: 6,627

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Gaels and Irish are the exact same thing. Gaels are just speakers of the Irish language. There are also Scottish Gaels. In fact Manx would also be Gaels. That's why Irish have political parties called Fine Gael (which means Tribe of the Irish). Irish were the original Gaels i.e. in Scotland were the Picts and Welsh Brythonic. Also not sure why the Scots ended up as Germanic when you are making the distinction with the Irish and Welsh? The Irish were also originally called Scots and when Gaels went from Scotland to Ireland they eventually took the name of Scotland. At one time Ireland used to be called Scotia Maior (greater Scotia) and Scotland Scotia Minor (lesser Scotia).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotia

So in short Scotland now is named after the Gaels.

It is also odd to call Cornish Celtic and Scots Germanic. In truth we are Insular Celts and not Celtic per se because in the main we do not descend from Continental Celts.
    I'm preaching to the converted here with you Grace, but dividing modern NW Europe into 'Celtic' and 'Germanic' is nonsense full stop. 1, Every so-called Celtic nation speaks a Germanic (or Romance) language primarily, 2, every so-called Celtic nation derives only a minority of ancestry from people called Celts in ancient times, whereas some areas identified as Germanic or Romance are majority descended from the ancient Celts (France, Belgium, Southern Germany, Switzerland, Western Austria), 3, All 'Germanic' nations besides those in Scandinavia derive a large percentage of their ancestry from ancient Celtic speakers.
    Spoiler!

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,566
    Given: 29,023

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    I'm preaching to the converted here with you Grace, but dividing modern NW Europe into 'Celtic' and 'Germanic' is nonsense full stop. 1, Every so-called Celtic nation speaks a Germanic (or Romance) language primarily, 2, every so-called Celtic nation derives only a minority of ancestry from people called Celts in ancient times, whereas some areas identified as Germanic or Romance are majority descended from the ancient Celts (France, Belgium, Southern Germany, Switzerland, Western Austria), 3, All 'Germanic' nations besides those in Scandinavia derive a large percentage of their ancestry from ancient Celtic speakers.
    Thanks for saying this. It is my sentiments exactly.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,319
    Given: 1,211

0 Not allowed!

Just a side note, Nuristanis are not Indo Aryan rather they are a separate branch of the Indo Iranics, so Iranics, Nuristanis and Indo Aryans

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    British - Bactrian
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,319
    Given: 1,211

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    Seems like a white supremacist view. I dont know how far back they were exclusively white but must be very far back i think, and the glory didnt immediately declined with modern indians. You say it as if its only recently that they are not white, and they still retain the caste system, after they are all mixed, maybe even stricter then when the first whites appeared. I rather read a neutral source then white suprermacists. But gypsies are still dalits.
    I think around the same time as the old dynasties of ancient Egypt ~ 1800BC. When it's put like that, you realise the Aryans wasn't even that long ago, which is astonishing how quickly their light features got washed down when entering the sub continent. There is very little trace of them among modern day southern Asians.

Protagonist of Persona 3 Reload Comealongwithme's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-20-2024 @ 07:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Persona User
    Country
    Japan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 516

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by fortress europe View Post
    There are many words for this lowest caste ("Varna") in ancient Vedic India. For example Dalit, Shudra or Tschandala. I once read somewhere that they are supposedly condemned to only eat rats. Among the high castes there were almost exclusively white people, at least in ancient times, while those of lower classes were dark. Nowadays everyone there is mixed even among Brahmins and the whole Indian sub-continent is but one toilet.

Here is an interesting article:

https://www.eurocanadians.ca/2019/02...-fall-of-aryan
    Lighter skinned sure but white as in, they would be perceived as white persons in our modern setting? Nope. Depictions of historical figures and indian gods alike don't depict persons of European extract. They look South Asian.
    Last edited by Comealongwithme; 03-24-2024 at 04:06 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information