English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,445
    Given: 5,771

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Well then why are you changing the goal posts when it suits you? This man is a Protestant so of Planter stock. How do you know all the family trees of all the people you post?
    Well the ancestries vary so some Protestants might have many more ethnic Irish ancestors while other ones will be almost purely British, it's obvious that many Protestants have more Irish ancestors but there are also many who are very British in lineage.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,586
    Given: 29,041

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver109 View Post
    Well the ancestries vary so some Protestants might have many more ethnic Irish ancestors while other ones will be almost purely British, it's obvious that many Protestants have more Irish ancestors but there are also many who are very British in lineage.
    Difficult to know unless you know their family tree. I would say in the end most populations in both Britain and Ireland are mixed to some extent. Even in my own family tree I have surnames that aren't solely Irish.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 02:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Mediterranean
    Ethnicity
    English/Spanish
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,445
    Given: 5,771

0 Not allowed!

Difficult to know unless you know their family tree. I would say in the end most populations in both Britain and Ireland are mixed to some extent. Even in my own family tree I have surnames that aren't solely Irish.
    Really? my dad had no Irish ancestors at all and very minimal ancestry outside of England(i think i am about 1/32th Scottish and i never heard of Welsh ancestors) Many northern English surnames are extremely rare here in southern England too.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,586
    Given: 29,041

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver109 View Post
    Really? my dad had no Irish ancestors at all and very minimal ancestry outside of England(i think i am about 1/32th Scottish and i never heard of Welsh ancestors) Many northern English surnames are extremely rare here in southern England too.
    Yes in Irish family trees (including my own) you will have Norman surnames, English and Scots as well as Irish surnames.

One of the surnames on my father's side is Leland and at the moment I can only go back to the late 1700s with that surname. I suspect it could be McClelland or McLeland which is Scottish but that's just a guess as the name is supposedly of Scottish origin in Ireland. The surname however has various origins. It could be English also. That's just an example. I also have a few Norman surnames.

The origins of the Leland name come from when the Anglo-Saxon tribes ruled over Britain. The name Leland was originally derived from a family having lived in Leyland, in Lancashire. The place-name Leyland is derived from the Old English elements lćge and land, and means "untilled land." [1] It was recorded as Lailand in the Domesday Book, [2] compiled in 1086 on the orders of William the Conqueror. The family name is derived from the place-name and means "dweller by the uncultivated land."
    https://www.houseofnames.com/leland-family-crest

Trapped In Clown World Anglo-Celtic's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:32 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Briton, Gaelic, Saxon, Varied
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, Scottish, Varied
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Gadsden
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranid
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Hero
    Smedley Butler
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,546
    Given: 6,495

2 Not allowed!

Yes in Irish family trees (including my own) you will have Norman surnames, English and Scots as well as Irish surnames.

One of the surnames on my father's side is Leland and at the moment I can only go back to the late 1700s with that surname. I suspect it could be McClelland or McLeland which is Scottish but that's just a guess as the name is supposedly of Scottish origin in Ireland. The surname however has various origins. It could be English also. That's just an example. I also have a few Norman surnames.

https://www.houseofnames.com/leland-family-crest
    I have more than twenty "Mc" names in my tree. Most of them are Western Scottish (both Highlands and Lowlands), but I think of the "Mc"s as honorary micks since they share the same Gaelic ethnicity. I can trace back to all five countries, in the Isles, on all four sides. I'm bi....Celtic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information